MikeChops Training Log

New kids on the block

Moderators: AtlasDeadlifted, sapper09, Bony, Aliaga the Powerful, Danimal1991

MikeChops Training Log

Postby MikeChops » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Well, I'm coming back from a fairly long layoff. I got pissed with my squat technique (JP helped a ton in getting it right) and got into somewhat of a vicious cycle of poor eating and training habits.

I'm going to use gslp programming, starting with conservative weight choices since I need to get back into it. Here will be the starting weights:

Squat - 185
Bench - 155
Press - 105
Deadlift - 195
Power Snatch - Needs empty bar technique work
Chins - BW+5-10lbs
Curls - Not sure - haven't done these in a long time

Bodyweight today - ~172

This will probably be a Mon/Wed/Fri program, although I may have to change things around depending on how my schedule plays out. I will be incorporating the frequency method too, but not posting updates.

Gotta pound away at the food.

Thanks for reading.
MikeChops

Re: MikeChops Training Log

Postby MikeChops » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:19 pm

First gslp workout. This one was done at home, but I plan to use a different gym (with lifting platforms) for latter workouts.

Tonight went something like this:
Bench Press - 155 2x5, 1x9
Curls - 45 2x15 (Haven't done these in years. This was with a straight bar, but the rest will be with the EZ curl.)
Squat - 185 2x5, 1x8

I'll have to look into a Spud neck harness from Elite, but I don't have one yet.
MikeChops

Postby MikeChops » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:58 pm

Wednesday
01/19/11

Press - 105 2x5, 1x7 Should have started back with 100 instead. Need to cue big breath and brace the abs.
Power Snatch (DL warmup) - 45x5, 65x5
Deadlift - 205x8 Remember head position
Chins - 10 - 2x6,4 Definitely started too heavy. Stupid mistake. Will use 5lbs next time.

Had to do Deadlifts before Chins today, because the chin-up bar was occupied by a small group at the time.
MikeChops

Postby MikeChops » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:33 pm

Today was weird. I didn't sleep great, and ended up taking a nap for close to 2 hrs.

Workout was as follows, and it took place at home instead of the other gym. After the nap I decided against the commute.

Bench Press - 160 2x5, 1x9
Curls - 50 2x12
Squat - 190 2x5, 2x7

I took a longer break before my last bench set which seemed to help a lot. I may take one or maybe two more 5lb jumps, since I have a lot of room before I reach my old 5 rep work weight. Then it's right back to 2.5lbs jumps so I don't stall.

Not much to say about curls except that I should probably ditch the straight bar soon. I'll see if the gym has an EZ curl bar, otherwise I'll use DB's (micro loading might be a challenge though).

Squat - I've got to think pressure and speed. The first few reps felt very solid, but there was some deterioration of tightness at the end.
MikeChops

Postby MikeChops » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:15 am

I think it's time to stop trying for gomad, and start eating more quality foods.

My plan is to start making some high calorie shakes. Here's a recipe I came up with:

16oz whole milk, 1 scoop whey, 1/2 cup ice cream, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1tbsp peanut butter, and 2tbsp chocolate syrup. It totals around 850 calories and 45 grams of protein. If it becomes to thick, I'll add a little more milk.

And as for the neck harness, I have not ordered it yet because EFS is out of stock. I've found it elsewhere, but Elite has been pretty good to me, so I've got some company loyalty. I may try to program it on three of my six frequency method days, rather than at the end of my workouts - not sure yet. Either way, it'll be 4x25.
MikeChops

Postby MikeChops » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:22 pm

I'm not proud of how this workout went, but here it is:

Press - 107.5 2x5, 1x7 The last set was a fluke. I unracked the bar, and on my second rep the plate hit the ceiling light bulb. I reracked the bar, evaluated that everything was ok, and then restarted the set for 7 (new) reps. I think I had 8 maybe 9 in me if I didn't have that mishap.

Chins - 5 2x8 This was the appropriate weight. Should've started at 5 last time.

Squat - 195 2x5, 1x6 Felt really heavy. Form faltered on the first two sets. I think I finally have a good stationary point to stare at (a black mark on the wall) so my eyes don't wander. Last set I focused on staying really tight and it felt much better than the first two. Some stuff to work on but I can't wait to get back on Friday after a few days of high calorie eating to really hit it hard.

No neck harness yet.
MikeChops

Postby MikeChops » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:35 pm

Still working out diet stuff. Today was a rough eating day. The shakes are delicious (when I actually make them).

Bench Press 165 - 2x5, 1x8 This is the last 5lb jump. It's getting heavier, so I'm going to go with 2.5lb jumps now.
Curls - 52.5 2x12 Can't wait for the instructional video. I haven't done these in years, and never had any sort of form instruction.
Deadlift - 210 1x7 Definitely need to continue to work on my starting position. I must also remember to start latter reps the same as the first rep. I've been letting the bar drift forward too much.
MikeChops

Postby MikeChops » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:47 am

Scheduling has been so tight that I think I'm going to make a change.

Old --> New
Monday --> Thursday
Wednesday --> Saturday
Friday --> Monday

This allows the same amount of rest and will (hopefully fit better).

As far as the frequency method I have not been doing it. I'm barely home 3 days a week. Gotta figure this out. Might have to makeshift it and reduce it from 6 days a week to 3 or something. Not sure yet.
MikeChops

Postby MikeChops » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:33 pm

So today was my first Saturday workout. The way I have it programmed, Saturdays work like a Wednesday would in the traditional MWF setup.

It went okay.

Press - 110 2x5 1x8 I had to keep reminding myself to keep the lower body tight and brace the abs as if for a punch
Chins - 7.5 2x8 last set was really hard, but probably because I could have used a little more rest between sets.
Deadlift 135 1x10 I deadlifted last time, but to keep the new programming on track I decided to pull. I went real light since DL's were on 3 days rest.

I really would have liked 10 reps on my last press set. I think I'm going to rest a little more between sets 2 and 3 next time, and just really remember to focus on tight. I want 10 bad.

The new schedule should be good.
MikeChops

Postby MikeChops » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:13 pm

Bench Press - 167.5 2x5, 1x9
Curls - 55x12x2
Squat - 185 2x5, 1x8

Bench Press - Gotta maintain that shoulder retraction throughout the set.

Curls - Last set I started doing a pretty fast eccentric. Not that I'm trying to do ultra-slow negatives, but I know I can be a little more disciplined with letting the bar down.

Squat - 10lb reduction from last time because it's been a week since I last squatted and I wanted to have a good third set. I know I could have had more reps on this set. Don't get me wrong, I was really fatigued, but the limiting factor wasn't lower body strength. It was the fact that the bar was progressively sliding down my back, which really threw me off. Notes for next time: More chalk, chest up, get tight. I'm not going to dwell on the issue unless it persists. I had the idea of maybe using two small rings of athletic tape strategically placed on the bar for a little extra grip. The chalk might be enough to remedy the bar slippage, so I'll try that first.

This Sunday was a big event (work related), that took a lot out of me. Not complaining, just stating a fact that may affect my training performance. I ate less than normal, and then overslept today and had a really rushed and small breakfast. Not a big deal since this was something I committed to - I'll make up for it throughout the week.
MikeChops

Next

Return to Beginner Villain Logs