JP Consult Experience

Your direct line to Johnny Pain himself. All questions will be answered based on JP's availability. Ask away!

Re: JP Consult Experience

Postby JPPShark » Wed May 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Hey guys, I wouldn't say that I'm new to the forums since I've been browsing for a year or so, but I haven't posted outside my log. I had kept a shitbox log that involved program hopping and stagnating weights, I actually still post in that log so I can go back a few pages and feel motivated by the progress I've been making. The start of my current "everyday is PR day" attitude concerning everything from weights to getting groceries or putting effort into my relationships is because of my consult with JP. I did the GOMAD and SS thing like many guys which didn't go well and I lost a lot of confidence and bla bla which really put me in a mental slump that I wasn't entirely aware of, but I knew things needed to change. I read every post in this thread and probably the forum too and decided I wanted to move forward and needed to get a consult, several emails later and within a few days time I was on the phone with JP. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up about how it goes because it is very much a different experience for everyone - which is the purpose, it's about YOU. In all honesty I went into it with an open mind, and I think I really just wanted to talk to someone with experience in life. I got a ton out of it, it was the most invigorating and motivating conversation I've ever had. We didn't even talk about training, and by midway into the convo I didn't want to because I was getting so much more out of the mental game and other stuff we discussed. JP told me all about his life and things he has going on and his attitudes regarding all sorts of things, it was really down to earth. I was so intent on listening and then talking back and forth that before I knew it we had been on for almost 2 and a half hours and he still hadn't even told me about how to pay him! I won't lie, since the consult I've been pretty jacked about everything on a daily basis, you could even say that it lifted me out of a depression. I have several questions about training and stuff after the fact of course, but he told me just to email, post here, or even text or call him with whatever I got on my mind - talk about a connection. Obviously he will do that stuff anyway even if you haven't consulted but now that I have I feel it puts some real direction to my questions. *****NOW this was MY experience, I know we didn't talk about training but that is cause I chose not to ask about it, so don't feel discouraged if that is what you want, cause it is all about you. Get off your ass and send him an email, don't even think to bitch about money either because my current monetary situation blows but I'll tell you right now I spend more at the grocery store then I did to talk to John, and I can afford groceries several times a month. Thanks John
JPPShark

Postby Tommy A » Fri May 18, 2012 9:17 pm

I had a great consult with John.There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. John is extremely knowledgeable, patient, and a great listener. He more than answered my questions and help me identify my faults. Faults that I not only had in training, but in life as well. Thanks John!
Tommy A

Postby adam_uk » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:25 pm

I was hoping to be able to provide some more great feedback from my consult today - but it appears that life got in the way and John and I will have to reschedule.

Initial impressions from arranging the consult, is that John is prepared to do all he can to help.
adam_uk

Postby adam_uk » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Ok, got round to having the rescheduled consult yesterday.

Firstly, JP has no idea of time - I kept a close eye on the time as we hit the hour mark, when the consult should've ended, and we were still going strong, finishing after over an hour and forty minutes.

JP really listens and tailors his recommendations in a way I haven't experienced before. Given that I have a background in psychology, mental health, and life coaching, I was unsure how much I would get out of JP's mindset focused consult. Well, what a fucking wake-up call - genuine fire has been lit up under my ass.

I am no longer carrying past failures, like a weight around my neck. I am going to do things in the next 12 weeks, which I have been trying to do for years.

It's still all sinking in, but I can't wait to do a second consult in six months time and set some more goals.
adam_uk

Postby johnnypain » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:16 pm

adam_uk wrote:Ok, got round to having the rescheduled consult yesterday.

Firstly, JP has no idea of time - I kept a close eye on the time as we hit the hour mark, when the consult should've ended, and we were still going strong, finishing after over an hour and forty minutes.

JP really listens and tailors his recommendations in a way I haven't experienced before. Given that I have a background in psychology, mental health, and life coaching, I was unsure how much I would get out of JP's mindset focused consult. Well, what a fucking wake-up call - genuine fire has been lit up under my ass.

I am no longer carrying past failures, like a weight around my neck. I am going to do things in the next 12 weeks, which I have been trying to do for years.

It's still all sinking in, but I can't wait to do a second consult in six months time and set some more goals.

Thanks Adam, it was great working with you. I'm looking forward to speaking with you in the future.
Follow me on Twitter @thejohnnypain http://twitter.com/#!/thejohnnypain

Ebook titles available by Johnny Pain
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks
johnnypain
Site Admin

Postby IzzyT » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:10 pm

Let me say, first and foremost, JP genuinely cares about people and wants to help them. When you can perceive sincerity and passion through a telephone call, you know you're working with someone who is committed to making an impact. And, trust me, he'll make an impact. JP has a knack for helping you cut through your own bullshit. Many of us have a general tendency to focus on the miniscule details of a particular programming style or dieting method. Most of this pontification is just an attempt to deflect our attention from where it should be, where it needs to be: our own minds. If you aren't already where you want to be, JP is going to help you find out the real reasons why.

All in all, JP is a good dude. If you want to ask something, ask it. He'll help you. I promise. If you're lacking clarity when it comes to your training, you really cannot afford NOT to talk to JP. If you want to stop spinning your wheels, and start driving towards something that matters, just go ahead and set up a consult with JP. Take the plunge. I guarantee you'll be more clear on what you want out of your training. I sure know I am.
IzzyT

Postby SirDrinksalot » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:00 pm

I can't speak highly enough of John after my consultation experience. I knew that John would be able to steer me in the right direction after reading previous consult experience posts on the forum. I wish I had taken the decision a long time ago to speak with him as it was just what I needed to get my focus on track.

John has laid out some simple habits for me to adopt to help with my nutrition which I know will make a significant difference both mentally and physically. I am someone who works well when adopting habits and once in the correct routine I normally reach my goals. I am very confident that John has given me the correct advice in order for me to reach my goals.

If you are sitting on the fence about a consultation like I was I strongly advise you to do it as it will be worth every dime.
SirDrinksalot

Postby anderdb » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:50 pm

I had my first consultation with JP last night. I've read JP's books and articles and have based my training on his ideas for the last couple of months. Before the consultation, I honestly wondered what I'd get out of it since I've read so much of his stuff already. I finally decided to try a consultation figuring that it wouldn't hurt to get tips and tweaks from the guy whose writings I've read so much of and whose program I'm following. I mention all of this because I'm guessing there are a lot of others on the fence about the consultation for exactly these same reasons. If you are hesitating because you already follow GSLP, do not hesitate any further. This consultation will take things to the next level and goes way beyond simple tips and tweaks (though you'll get those too).

It is really hard to describe the consultation to someone who hasn't experienced it. If you read some of the other testimonials, they are kinda vague and it makes sense to me now why. These consultations are highly personalized. JP knows how to lead a conversation and he will lead you to identifying the standards you want to live by and the artificial limitations that you are putting on yourself.

I can give you an example less than 24 hours from my consultation that I have no doubt directly came as a result of our phone conversation. My cleans have been stuck for about six months while all my other numbers have shot up. I could do my old max with ease but add 2.5 lbs to the bar and suddenly everything was a mess. Obviously there was a mental block but I never broke through it. Today I hit a 20 lb PR. JP and I did not discuss cleans at all on the call but I consider this a direct result of our conversation.

You know how there are sports teams that are terrible and they get a new coach and suddenly they turn out to be one of the best teams without any other changes because the new coach knows how to get potential out of people? JP is one of those great coaches that know how to get potential out of people.
anderdb

Postby joshmiller » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:53 am

Good experience.
I really just wanted a personalized program from an expert.
I actually learned a lot about what the fuck I was missing the entire time. The MENTAL aspect of achieving what I want. This was like a counselor session with a strongman.
I appreciate the honest approach to why the fuck we are in the gym. The whole thing was good.
joshmiller

Postby CP716 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:27 pm

There's a whole lot that can be said about the consultation experience with JP, but the bottom line is the man has his craft and approach to his consultations perfected. The entire time spent on the phone was completely on track not once did it go off in any other directions, and it was as easy as having a conversation with someone you've known for years. I've had almost half my life in years put into working out, researching and trying things out. From body building workouts to crossfit and even professional and collegiate conditioning works outs I've gotten through meeting people who are considered experts at their level. JP not only holds his water right with them all but what shoots him above for me is that ability to tailor his ideals and methods to fit your situation and you "standards" (anyone who has consulted with JP will know what that one means). Right off the bat he let me know his approach and what he wanted to get accomplished and he did all of it without rushing through things in the least. He was really good at driving things home and you could tell has a passion for what he does. He is the first trainer out of any that I've worked with, consulted with or even talked to who takes a serious approach to analyzing the mental game of lifting. The reframing of thought patterns and methods he uses to not only get his point driven in but with the simplicity he breaks things down whether you have a masters in exercise phys or haven't ever read anything you can completely get his point and not have to think twice about it. I could talk for days about how much he opened a new door in my approach of strength and conditioning and I also struggle to get the right words to do the whole consultation justice.

Prior to our consultation I've had a lot of success with the GSLP. My weights in all three lifts are constantly going up, I've been doing it for 7 or 8 weeks now and I have yet to do one single reset. I'd post my numbers but that has nothing to do with the consult so I won't. The bottom line is, if you're new here, have been here for a while, you're stuck, need a kick in the ass or you just straight up want to improve your game... spend the money and begin to implement what he says, the only result will be success.

JP Thanks again,

Chuck P
CP716

PreviousNext

Return to Q&A with Johnny Pain