Got yoke?

Been there done that

Moderators: AtlasDeadlifted, sapper09, Bony, Aliaga the Powerful, Danimal1991

Re: Got yoke?

Postby Eligius » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:41 am

Apr 10
Incline BP: 245 x3 x3 x3
Squat: 345 x3; 395 x3; 445 x5

I was ready to go tear this session up, then I went and woke up with a cold. I wasn't bedridden, so I saw no reason to skip training. Incline went fairly well, but was definitely dragging my feet between squat sets. The plan called for a 3+ set and I took full advantage of this fact. Feeling under the weather? Just hit 3 and see if you have anything left. Ended up getting two more reps before deciding to rack it.

Still noticed the shifting of weight to one side on the ascent of the heavy squat set. From what I could observe, I have an idea what may be causing it. My left leg looked to be out at the desired 30 degrees, whereas my right was at a lesser angle. It could be stemming from an asymmetry in stance or I'm just not keeping my right knee shoved out hard enough. I'll keep this in mind and try to straighten it up next time.
Eligius

Postby Eligius » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:27 pm

Apr 12
HS Seated Press: 145 x8; 117.5 x12 (weight per side)
Cable Pushdown: 107.5 x14+6+4
Rack Pull: 425 x12
V-Pull Down: 180 x12; 125 x20

Felt almost back to full health today. Hammer press reps were relatively easy. Second session with the below the knee rack pulls. I was looking forward to it -- either the novelty or the challenge of keeping my back set in the new pulling position, not sure exactly why. Knocked out the set and was surprised about how pumped/tight it made my low back. Hoping that subsides somewhat in future as I do it more. Rack pull + v-pull down = one exhausted back.
Eligius

Postby Eligius » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Apr 14
Incline BP: 247.5 x3 x3 x3+1F
Alt. Bicep Curl: 45 x13+4+3
Yates Row: 315 x10 x10
HS Low Row: 117.5 x15 (weight per side)

Incline felt much better this time around. Went for the 4th rep and my training partner just barely had to assist to keep it moving. A mid-term goal is to push 315 on the incline. Not sure how long that will actually take, but I'll be a lot happier with my bench pressing when that day comes. Stayed pretty tight through both Yates row sets -- form was decent through rep 10.
Eligius

Postby Eligius » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:00 pm

Apr 17
Seated Press: 207.5 x8; 177.5 x11+1F
Squat: 370 x5; 420 x3; 470 x6
Cable Pushdown: 110 x14+4+2

Tore it up today. More weight and got one more rep on seated press. Back into PR territory on the squat! Last time I repped this kind of weight, my stance was quite a bit wider. Tried keeping my right knee pushed out harder to keep from shifting to one side. Although I wasn't paying close attention to the exact mechanics under 470, my right hip wasn't nearly as tight on the ride home. That's what caused me to notice it in the first place, so I'll take it as a good sign.

So far using no belt on squat warmups has been a good strategy. It makes me stay focused through the warmups and I think that better prepares me for the top set. Also, the extra work when not using the belt changes how I perceive the weight when wearing it. Said a different way, squatting a rep at 470 didn't feel notably harder than a beltless 420 rep. Will you get the same kind of effect? Who knows, but to me it does drive home that it's all in your head. How you think the weight is going to feel really affects how you perceive it when you're under the bar.
Eligius

Postby Mr. Lupara » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:45 am

Good job bro! Keep it up.
Mr. Lupara

Postby King Schlong » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:39 pm

Excellent work dude, squat's looking scary again. I definately know what you mean about working up without a belt and I think it's a valuable tool if anyone (like me) tends to get anxious before difficult squat workouts. When a warm-up feels heavier than it should I can still feel confident moving forward.
Log: http://strengthvillain.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=846
Frequent occasions of insanity keep me from going mad.
King Schlong

Postby AtlasDeadlifted » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:31 pm

You're a savage.
AtlasDeadlifted

Postby Eligius » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Apr 19
HS Decline Press: 195 x14+4+3; 105 x20 (weight per side)
Preacher Curl: 102.5 x14+5+2
Deadlift: 530 x7

Barely could fit the weight on the Hammer machine today. I've said it before but it's lame watching DC videos and they are using machines that can fit 8-10 big plates, whereas I'll be lucky to have 5 on there. Oh well. Having a great training week. Got after the squat the other day and pulled out a surprise on the deadlift. Told training partners got 6 last time, hoping for 5-6 today. One, Chris, looked at me and why not 7? "Lucky number 7," was my answer as I got ready. Got through rep 6 and sure enough, had enough fire in me to go for 7. Blew it up to my knees and had to do the slow grind to lock out. Man, what a feeling. And to think the deadlift and I were bitter enemies at one time.

Mr. Lupara wrote:Good job bro! Keep it up.

Thanks man! Hope all is going well. See you haven't been updating your log much, still making time to train I hope.

King Schlong wrote:Excellent work dude, squat's looking scary again.

It's getting back on track and will be better than ever with the 531 programming... not feeling beat down nearly as often cycling the work weight. Good to hear that you've had the same experience with the belt.

AtlasDeadlifted wrote:You're a savage.

Haha, looking to make this a good training year. In the next few months, hoping to hit some long time goals -- reps with 500 in squat and 600 in deadlift. Had to laugh a little at myself after reading your meet results. A solid 30-40 lbs heavier and I'm in the process of chasing your numbers. Your no barbell experiment will give my deadlift a chance to catch up. :D
Eligius

Postby Eligius » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:45 pm

Apr 21
Press: 202.5 x2 x2 x2; 185 x3 x3 x3
Leg Press: sled + 830 x12; +570 x30

Another really good day to complete the week. Pause repped the press. Been able to get that full body tightness on command and act like a bow string when starting reps. They were poppin' right up. Mixed feelings on it though... happy that I'm finally making progress in the 200s, but still have a ways to go til I'm working with body weight. Tore through the heavy leg press and decided to stop at 12 to save some for the back off. And save some I did -- knocked out a weight and rep PR. Avoided a lot of prolonged Valsalva and focused on making an effort to breathe through the set. Definitely made a difference in reducing the exertion headache I experienced last time.
Eligius

Postby Mr. Lupara » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:51 pm

Yeah I'm still lifting just haven't been updating my log. I've really been focusing on getting my diet on track so I can get the most out of my training. I'm down 31lbs since January to 180 right now and I'll probably be down to 170 @ 10-12% body fat before it's all said and done with. Then I'm going to start the long process of building some size properly instead of the eat whatever the hell I want to method.
Mr. Lupara

PreviousNext

Return to Villain Vet Logs