Bobby Briks Training Log

Postby BobbyBriks » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:48 pm

11/1/10

Bodyweight- 196.4

Bench Press-205x5x2
205x14

Curls- 11x68
10x68

First thing I have to improve is my bodyweight. I've been getting around 300g of protein a day for the last month or so, but I have to step that up a lot.

Usually I'd be squatting today but I had a slight dislocation of my left patella playing basketball and its still swollen and sI get sharp pain when I bend it. Luckily I avoided the full dislocation (which has happened to me at least a dozen times in my life), but I will be taking the rest of the week off from squats, then hopefully picking them back up next Monday. Very frustrating, but I think its the right move.

I am going to be using the 5x2, AMRAPx1 program that John recommended for me. Today was my first time trying it, and I got 14 on my last set of bench with 205.

Did E-z bar curls and wasn't sure what weight to use, so I threw a 25 on each side of my 18 pound bar. That turned out to be perfect since I am trying to work in the 10-15 rep range on those.

All in all, it was an ok first workout on the new program, but without the squat it just isn't the same. I am excited to deadlift Wednesday and use what I learned from John's training camp.
BobbyBriks

Re: Bobby Briks Training Log

Postby BobbyBriks » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:55 pm

11/03/10

Bodyweight- 197.8

Presses- 135x5x2
135x8

Deadlifts- 235x8

Chins- 7x40
6x40

Presses were fine. First time doing the AMRAP on the last set so I didn't know what to expect, but 8 seems ok. Had no chance at a 9th. I will be microloading these at 2.5 pound increases per session.

Deadlifts. I videotaped these and submitted them to John's Q&A for a form check so we will see what he says. The main thing I concentrated on was getting my lower back into extension. It felt like I did and I think they looked correct on the video, but I don't trust my own eye on these yet since I am so inexperienced. We will see. Anyway, the set of 8 was pretty toucgh for me since I haven't deadlifted in a long time, and when I did it was always 5 reps at the most. These higher rep sets are tough.

Chins are chins.

Neck harness is on the way in the mail.
BobbyBriks

Postby gamedog » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:46 am

Briks! Good to see you over here buddy! I had my eyes out for you. Your press is coming along nicely esp. at your body weight. You'll be putting up 170 in no time just stick to your guns and keep at it!
RIP "Remmy"
gamedog

Postby BobbyBriks » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:10 pm

Good to see you over here too, Game. Keep crushin it and I'll do the same. Got the ok on my deadlift form in John's Q&A, so now I am excited to actually start progressing again. Its been a while for the deadlift........ Presses are coming along. I am loving this AMRAP on the last set program. I think it will pay big dividends.
BobbyBriks

Postby BobbyBriks » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:42 pm

11/05/10

Bodyweight- 197.6

Bench Press- 215x5x2
215x12

E-Z bar Curls- 13x68
11x68

Angled Headknockers- 11x58
11x58

First off, bodyweight. I am getting a good amount of protein, about 350g a day. I just have trouble getting my total calories though, so I am going to start adding in some olive oil with my protein shakes.

Bench press went better than expected. Last workout I had done 205x14 on the third set, so I made a 10 pound jump. Didn't expect 12 but I just felt real strong tonight. I think I am gonna make one more 10 pound jump, then maybe one or two 5 pound jumps up to the 235 level, then 2.5 pound jumps from there. Im not married to that idea though, it will be more a read and react thing.

Curls went well.

I don't know what to call this tricep exercise so I went with Angled HK's. They are like Headknockers but your upper arms aren't vertical to the floor, which John said take a lot of the stress of the elbows that normal headknockers can cause. Wasn't sure what weight to use but this worked out well.

Knee is feeling pretty much better and swelling is down. I could have squatted tonight but I am playing in an all-day flag football tourney tomorrow and I wasn't trying to deal with the soreness that I would have had after not squatting in a few weeks and doing AMRAP on the last set. So I will start my squats up again on Monday and I can't wait.
BobbyBriks

Postby BobbyBriks » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:30 am

11/09/10

Bodyweight- 196.4

Presses- 137.5x5x2
137.5x7

Chins- 40x8
40x6
12xbodyweight

Neck Harness- 10x25x4

Well, I fucked up my other knee (tendonitis knee) playing in the flag football tournament Saturday. No clue what happened. Was running with the ball, made a cut, and just a terrible pain in the knee. It didn't feel like any kind of tear or buckling though, just a sharp pain right where the tendonitis usually hurts. I can't put much pressure on it and still can't get into squat position even with no weight. I am scheduling an appointment today with a surgeon who did ACL surgeries on both of my sister's knees. I will have him look at both my knees, probably have to get MRI's, and see what happens. Very frustrating. Might be limited to upper body for a while, which is horrible because my lower body is way behind. There is a chance I can deadlift again soon because that movement isn't as bad as the squat.

As far as my workout, I was a little disappointed in the presses as I wanted to get 8. 7 ended up being a real struggle though. Hopefully it was just a bad workout, and I'd love to get 7 or 8 with 140 next time.

Did well on chins however. 12xbodyweight on my 3rd set is a new record, and the weighted ones seemed a little easier than normal.

First time using the neck harness. Went conservative with a 10 pound plate for 4 sets of 25. Started each set 3.5 minutes apart, so probably about 2.5 minutes of rest between sets. They were fairly easy but started to get tough by the end. I will probably try to do like 3 sets of 40 with the 10 pound plate next time, then move the weight up after that.
BobbyBriks

Postby gamedog » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm really sorry to hear about your knee, Briks. I hope it's nothing too serious, and I certainly applaud you for getting in the gym and doing what you can do despite it. Just keep training and train what isn't hurt, y'know? Nice presses and chins! And here's to hopefully a quick recovery knee-wise!
RIP "Remmy"
gamedog

Postby KittyMcTaco » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:44 pm

Hey, I saw your post over on Steel's Log...Small world!!!! me and Kevin (and his sister Beth for gymnastics) go waaaaay back. Like CYO dances, Judge dances, kegs in the woods etc...you know the deal. He is always quoting Seinfeld on FB lol.
KittyMcTaco

Postby BobbyBriks » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:50 pm

Thanks Game. I appreciate it.
BobbyBriks

Postby BobbyBriks » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:03 pm

Hey Kitty. Thats funny. It is a small world. Me and Huck are real good friends. I am pretty good friends with Beth too. Was actually hangin out with her Saturday night. And I was just talking to Mrs. Huckel today for a while (unfortunately thats cuz she works for Suburban Orthopedics and I'm having knee problems). Great family.
BobbyBriks

Next

Return to Beginner Villain Logs