greyskull LP

Your direct line to Johnny Pain himself. All questions will be answered based on JP's availability. Ask away!

Re: greyskull LP

Postby sapper09 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:33 pm

@Slevn81

Wow. Very comprehensive, dude! Way to go putting all that together.

Will the LP ebook be going for the same price as the conditioning one?
sapper09
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:46 am

Re: greyskull LP

Postby johnnypain » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:37 pm

sapper09 wrote:@Slevn81
Will the LP ebook be going for the same price as the conditioning one?


Yes. I can tell you I am beyond excited about this one. I am very glad I opted to write it. It is definitely not a pamphlet like some ebooks out there, or an overview of this thread. It is very solid.
Follow me on Twitter @thejohnnypain http://twitter.com/#!/thejohnnypain

Ebook titles available by Johnny Pain
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks
johnnypain
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3797
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:16 pm

Re: greyskull LP

Postby voodoo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Slevn...props!
voodoo
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: greyskull LP

Postby sapper09 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:28 am

johnnypain wrote:
sapper09 wrote:@Slevn81
Will the LP ebook be going for the same price as the conditioning one?


Yes. I can tell you I am beyond excited about this one. I am very glad I opted to write it. It is definitely not a pamphlet like some ebooks out there, or an overview of this thread. It is very solid.


Awesome, dude - can't wait to see what other pearls of wisdom you've got in store!

On another note, i will be playing my first season of rugby this year and have just started working on tackling at preseason. As someone who hasn't played any contact sport with tackling involved before, i'm now realising how important all this lower body and posterior chain kind of strength is. Upper body strength is obviously going to help, but it's all about getting down real low and driving into the tackle, or back against your opponent.

Bring on the squats, deadlifts and power cleans! Also, i really need to start some neck work to take some of the hits. Still waiting for the mother in law to finish sewing it together - damn her to hell!!! :x
sapper09
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:46 am

Re: greyskull LP

Postby voodoo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:50 pm

I'm really digging the last set to failure. At the CFFB Cert about 9-10 months ago I benched 225lbs for 14 reps. I was pretty happy with this, as I only weighed 185lbs and it was the first time I attempted it. I took a total of about 7 weeks off over the holidays due to injury. When I finally got back to them gym I started BP at 185lbs and have been adding 5lbs a week. First week...19. Second week..18...3rd week...18....4th week...18. Today I was back at 225lbs and cranked out 19 reps! Pretty stoked. Having that number from the previous week really helps bring intensity to that final set..love it. 3x5 chin-ups and dips at 65lbs also smashed today. Not struggling for reps at all.
voodoo
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: greyskull LP

Postby StonewallWells » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:17 am

voodoo wrote:I'm really digging the last set to failure. At the CFFB Cert about 9-10 months ago I benched 225lbs for 14 reps. I was pretty happy with this, as I only weighed 185lbs and it was the first time I attempted it. I took a total of about 7 weeks off over the holidays due to injury. When I finally got back to them gym I started BP at 185lbs and have been adding 5lbs a week. First week...19. Second week..18...3rd week...18....4th week...18. Today I was back at 225lbs and cranked out 19 reps! Pretty stoked. Having that number from the previous week really helps bring intensity to that final set..love it. 3x5 chin-ups and dips at 65lbs also smashed today. Not struggling for reps at all.


Badass voodoo! I think you would be well suited to make a couple bigger jumps on your bench so that you get the reps down into the 6-10 range for that last set. Either way, keep up the good work!
StonewallWells
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:05 pm
Location: H-Town

Re: greyskull LP

Postby voodoo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:39 pm

StonewallWells wrote:Badass voodoo! I think you would be well suited to make a couple bigger jumps on your bench so that you get the reps down into the 6-10 range for that last set. Either way, keep up the good work!


A couple buddies and I are doing 225 for max reps in two weeks. I want to kick their ass. After that, I'll jump up at least 20lbs. Also, after all that time off, it just felt good to get a bunch of reps in.
voodoo
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: greyskull LP

Postby sapper09 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:04 pm

@voodoo

Nice work, bro - 225 for 19 is decent! Like stonewall said, looks like you'll be able to make some good jumps over the next few weeks. I agree with what you said about the 5+ set giving you something to aim for in your next session, too.
sapper09
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:46 am

Re: greyskull LP

Postby DHurle » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:21 am

I recently started the Greyskull LP and everything's been going really well. All my lifts were on the up, happy days. In the last two weeks though, my back has started giving me major shit every time I squat. I can get them done on the day, but then I have a constant pain in my lower back for about 2 days. I would go to a physio or something but I don't get back to an English speaking country for four weeks. I can press and bench without any trouble.

Do you have any advice on what to do as replacement on the squat and deadlift days? I think I'm going to try and give front squats a go on my next squat day and see how I fare with them. I'm really pissed off though, just when shit was starting to go well! Thanks for any help, this is a great board!
DHurle
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:52 am

Re: greyskull LP

Postby JK Goes Red & Black » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:22 pm

JP...cut and pasting question from my log (as well as a form check if you have a sec for that too)

JP or anyone w.shoulder issues reading: what's the preferred sub for benching in the LP? Was thinking Press, Barbell Row, and Push Press in an A/B/C each week. Or Press and Barbell Row in an A/B. Don't have an incline bench yet.

Form check on 225x3 Deads http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Dj87dOTsk. Didn't read that the pref camera angle would be a front oblique instead of a back one until after I filmed...always have trouble keeping a tight back--this looks a lot better than it has been recently. If angle is useless, I'll film next week from front.
JK Goes Red & Black
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:14 pm
Location: Littleton, MA

PreviousNext

Return to Q&A with Johnny Pain

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests