greyskull LP

Your direct line to JP. Fire at will!

Re: greyskull LP

Postby Tymon » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:51 pm

Hy, my name is Lukas. I have a few questions. I'm policeman and currently I'm preparing for a placement test to a special police unit, which in Poland is called SPAP. The test contain: 1 rep max bench press, max rep pull ups and dips, rope climbing (5 metres rope, only hands, two times), sit ups in 30 sec, Cooper test, underwater swimming, 200 meters kraul for time. I always had this kind of coaches who claimed that weight training just make me slow down. I've never care much about my strenght and conditioning. I want to use your greyskull LP routine - I think it will be best for me. I've invented something like that:

Monday
Bench 2x 5, 1 x 5+ (bench two times a week without rotation)
Chin ups weighted 2 x 8
Weighted dips 2 x 15
Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
Some abs - maybe 2 superseries of ab roll and kettlebell windmill
Neck Harness

Wednesday
Press 2x5, 1x 5+
Narrow neutral grip chins - weighted 2 x 8
Pendley row 2 x 8
Deadlift 1x 5+
200 kettlebell swings
Neck Harness


Friday
Bench 2x 5, 1 x 5+ (bench two times a week without rotation)
Chin ups weighted 2 x 8
Weighted dips 2 x 15
Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
Some abs - maybe 2 superseries of ab roll and kettlebell windmill
Neck Harness


Bodyweight pull ups are done every day - better frequency metod or ladder?
30 min fast walking - every day
Tuesday, Thursday , Saturday - some running, I don't have any idea how to plan this
Sunday - swimming

Some info about me : 173cm, 78 kg, 11% body fat. I am grateful for any help.
Sorry for my English. I hope that everything is understandable for you :)
Lukas
Tymon
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:57 pm

Re: greyskull LP

Postby remf3 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:48 pm

Hey JP---

I just started GSLP today and this is the first time I've ever lifted weights, so please pardon what may seem like a silly question. I'm 41 y/o and thought I should be starting slow. My first exercise today was the bench press and I'm curious about how you would recommend doing the warmup sets for this.

In your book, you give an example of 5 warm up sets for a working weight of 315lbs. Where I run into an issue is that since I am pretty weak, I started at around 65lbs, because, as I wrote, I've never really lifted before. I did 2 sets of 5 on the empty bar and then 1 set of 5 at 55lb before the sets at 65lb. Is this an adequate warm up? I moved slowly through the reps, just so I make sure my technique was ok.

Thanks!
remf3
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: greyskull LP

Postby johnnypain » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:22 pm

remf3 wrote:Hey JP---

I just started GSLP today and this is the first time I've ever lifted weights, so please pardon what may seem like a silly question. I'm 41 y/o and thought I should be starting slow. My first exercise today was the bench press and I'm curious about how you would recommend doing the warmup sets for this.

In your book, you give an example of 5 warm up sets for a working weight of 315lbs. Where I run into an issue is that since I am pretty weak, I started at around 65lbs, because, as I wrote, I've never really lifted before. I did 2 sets of 5 on the empty bar and then 1 set of 5 at 55lb before the sets at 65lb. Is this an adequate warm up? I moved slowly through the reps, just so I make sure my technique was ok.

Thanks!


You got it man, that works as a warmup for you for where you're at now.

Keep at it, and keep us posted on the progress.
Follow me on Twitter @thejohnnypain http://twitter.com/#!/thejohnnypain

Ebook titles available by Johnny Pain
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks
johnnypain
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4156
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:16 pm

Re: greyskull LP

Postby johnnypain » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:26 pm

Tymon wrote:Hy, my name is Lukas. I have a few questions. I'm policeman and currently I'm preparing for a placement test to a special police unit, which in Poland is called SPAP. The test contain: 1 rep max bench press, max rep pull ups and dips, rope climbing (5 metres rope, only hands, two times), sit ups in 30 sec, Cooper test, underwater swimming, 200 meters kraul for time. I always had this kind of coaches who claimed that weight training just make me slow down. I've never care much about my strenght and conditioning. I want to use your greyskull LP routine - I think it will be best for me. I've invented something like that:

Monday
Bench 2x 5, 1 x 5+ (bench two times a week without rotation)
Chin ups weighted 2 x 8
Weighted dips 2 x 15
Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
Some abs - maybe 2 superseries of ab roll and kettlebell windmill
Neck Harness

Wednesday
Press 2x5, 1x 5+
Narrow neutral grip chins - weighted 2 x 8
Pendley row 2 x 8
Deadlift 1x 5+
200 kettlebell swings
Neck Harness


Friday
Bench 2x 5, 1 x 5+ (bench two times a week without rotation)
Chin ups weighted 2 x 8
Weighted dips 2 x 15
Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
Some abs - maybe 2 superseries of ab roll and kettlebell windmill
Neck Harness


Bodyweight pull ups are done every day - better frequency metod or ladder?
30 min fast walking - every day
Tuesday, Thursday , Saturday - some running, I don't have any idea how to plan this
Sunday - swimming

Some info about me : 173cm, 78 kg, 11% body fat. I am grateful for any help.
Sorry for my English. I hope that everything is understandable for you :)
Lukas


What you've laid out looks good Lukas.

I'd place some emphasis on "studying for the test" also, as I do with anyone preparing for a standardized fitness test.

I'd be sure to include some rope climbing, I'd add FM or Ladder style dips, and would definitely have you in the pool as well. The rest of the program will work for the other events, but I'd make sure to have some specific work in place for the other events that you'll be tested on.

Give it hell man.
Follow me on Twitter @thejohnnypain http://twitter.com/#!/thejohnnypain

Ebook titles available by Johnny Pain
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks
johnnypain
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4156
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:16 pm

Re: greyskull LP

Postby Tymon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:56 am

Thank you very much for all advices! Ok, so chin ups and dipd FM during week. On monday and friday I would do some weighted chins and dips 2x8. I would replace the ab roll with some decline weighted crunches for a time to developed some abs strenght. The movement is more similiar to what is required for the test.I don't have a rope on my gym :?
Any ideas for running? For copper test?
I wish to found your methods and this forum earlier...
Tymon
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:57 pm

Re: greyskull LP

Postby johnnypain » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:39 pm

Tymon wrote:Thank you very much for all advices! Ok, so chin ups and dipd FM during week. On monday and friday I would do some weighted chins and dips 2x8. I would replace the ab roll with some decline weighted crunches for a time to developed some abs strenght. The movement is more similiar to what is required for the test.I don't have a rope on my gym :?
Any ideas for running? For copper test?
I wish to found your methods and this forum earlier...


For the cooper test, I would use the same logic I use with people training for a timed 2 mile or 3 mile run, namely practicing the actual test at least once per week.

When I was in the military I brought my two mile time down from 13:30 to 10:56 within a period of roughly seven weeks by running the two mile as fast as I could at least twice per week.

If you're able to track distance, simply run all out for twelve minutes and use the distance as your target to beat next time. There are numerous other methods that others might recommend, but in my own experience, and in the experience that I have now preparing countless others for selection courses or just maxing their PT tests, this is the single most effective way of going about it.
Follow me on Twitter @thejohnnypain http://twitter.com/#!/thejohnnypain

Ebook titles available by Johnny Pain
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks
johnnypain
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4156
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:16 pm

Re: greyskull LP

Postby jackthestrife » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:44 pm

JP,

Could you please elaborate on the programming for curls? I feel familiar with everything else you propose, but not so much that.

Thank you for your time and for everything else you've done. I work your program, I've given you my money, and I think you're the man.
jackthestrife
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:32 am
Location: Vancouver

Re: greyskull LP

Postby luizleandrog » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:38 pm

Say one wants to do Greyskull LP. Say one wants do to the base program on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but wants to train back (chin ups, maybe rows, with the same progression of the main lifts) on Tuesday and Thursday, the "rest" days of GSLP. So it would be something like that:

- Mon: BP/OHP, squat
- Tue: Chin-up
- Wed: BP/OHP, deadlift
- Thu: Chin-up
- Fri: BP/OHP, squat

What do you guys think? What bad can happen?
My problem is: with mobility and stretching work, doing 3 exercises on the GSLP fashion without any other "plug-ins" takes about 1.5 hour and I would like to lower that time. Besides that, I want to do mobility work and stretching everyday, but I don't feel like going to the gym (my home gym, but whatever) just to do this.
So I thought about spreading the original routine like that: press and legs, pull, press and legs (and a pull, because it's deadlift), pull, press and legs.
luizleandrog
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: greyskull LP

Postby johnnypain » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:41 pm

luizleandrog wrote:Say one wants to do Greyskull LP. Say one wants do to the base program on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but wants to train back (chin ups, maybe rows, with the same progression of the main lifts) on Tuesday and Thursday, the "rest" days of GSLP. So it would be something like that:

- Mon: BP/OHP, squat
- Tue: Chin-up
- Wed: BP/OHP, deadlift
- Thu: Chin-up
- Fri: BP/OHP, squat

What do you guys think? What bad can happen?
My problem is: with mobility and stretching work, doing 3 exercises on the GSLP fashion without any other "plug-ins" takes about 1.5 hour and I would like to lower that time. Besides that, I want to do mobility work and stretching everyday, but I don't feel like going to the gym (my home gym, but whatever) just to do this.
So I thought about spreading the original routine like that: press and legs, pull, press and legs (and a pull, because it's deadlift), pull, press and legs.


Ditch the rows, and hit chins hard on those days. It'll work like that. Rows are the single most overrated, over prescribed movement for the overwhelming majority of trainees.
Follow me on Twitter @thejohnnypain http://twitter.com/#!/thejohnnypain

Ebook titles available by Johnny Pain
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks
johnnypain
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4156
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:16 pm

Re: greyskull LP

Postby sam » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm

Hey JP, when is a good time to introduce rest pause methods (like Dogcrapp's stuff) into training? Can it be applied to the LP to drive intensity and would that be advised? Some people may benefit from the extra push if they're not able to really squeeze out maximum effort on the AMRAP sets?

Cheers as always
sam
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:19 am

PreviousNext

Return to Q&A with Johnny Pain

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron