Fatfucked 40 year old: cut calories?

Your direct line to JP. Fire at will!

Fatfucked 40 year old: cut calories?

Postby cloudatlas » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:22 pm

Hey Johnny!

I enjoyed your recent blog post about "5 Things Every Guy Over 35 Ought to Know About Building Muscle and Losing Fat." After reading it, I have a question about losing my gut. I am a thoroughly fat-fucked 40 year old. I'm 5'11" tall, weigh 245 lbs, have a 44" waist. I used to do Olympic lifting at a local weightlifting gym and got into pretty decent shape over the course of several years. Then my wife and I had a baby and I had to quit the gym. I kept eating like I was going for PRs and started to drink whiskey to cope with all the shit diapers and crying that had taken over my life. It didn't take long before I got fat as hell.

After a year of sitting on the couch, I got my fat ass motivated and have been doing Greyskull for the past 3 months. Just for reference my workout looks like this (with current weight loads in parentheses):

MONDAY
Press (150 lbs)/Bench press (210 lbs)– 2×5; 1× AMRAP
Pendlay Rows (145 lbs)/V-Handle Pull-Down (180 lbs)– 2×5; 1× AMRAP
Chin-Up Negatives - 3x3 (I can't do chin-ups yet)
Squat (320 lbs) – 2×5; 1×5+

TUESDAY
RDLs (235 lbs) – 2 x 6-8
Barbell Hip Thrusts (185 lbs) – 2 x 10
Face Pulls (50 lbs)– 2 x 10

WEDNESDAY
Press (150 lbs)/Bench press (210 lbs) – 2×5; 1× AMRAP
Chin-Up Negatives - 3x3
Front Squat (220 lbs) – 1×AMRAP
Deadlift (370 lbs)– 1× AMRAP

FRIDAY
Press (150 lbs)/Bench press (210 lbs) – 2×5; 1× AMRAP
Chin-Up Negatives - 3x3
Face Pulls – 2 x 10
Squat (320 lbs) – 2×5; 1×5+

I add in conditioning workouts 3 days a week, like 100 burpees or a barbell complex or a burpee/KB swing ladder. I'm pretty good about doing frequency method pushups, but I have not been consistent with fasted morning walking.

I started out eating 2600 calories a day (which is a 500 calorie deficit), with about 200g of protein, 75g of fat and the remainder in carbs. (Shake for breakfast, meat + sweet potato + broccoli for lunch, decent, protein-heavy dinners) I do drink the occasional beer or whiskey or two (not 10).

Since starting this program, I have seen some nice upper body development -- I'm not getting huge, but I'm definitely slowly packing on some lean muscle mass. But my weight on the scale is also creeping up slowly and although I lost about 1.5" on my waist initially, progress now seems to have ground to a halt.

Here's my question: What can I do to get rid of this spare tire around my waist? I tried restricting calories even further down to 2300, but goddam those heavy squats were killing me!! I want to lean the fuck out, but not by sacrificing all progress in the weight room.
cloudatlas

Re: Fatfucked 40 year old: cut calories?

Postby johnnypain » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:52 pm

It sounds to me like you're on the right track overall.

I'd emphasize getting consistent with the fasted walks, but aside from that your plan looks pretty solid.

You have to remember that fat loss is not linear. You'll have weeks where you don't seem to lose anything, and then others where it'll fly off. The bottom line is what you're doing will work if you stick with it for the long term. Keep driving the gains in the gym and pushing the conditioning work. You will drop fat without any doubt if you're consistent for a few solid months in a row.
Follow me on Twitter @thejohnnypain http://twitter.com/#!/thejohnnypain

Ebook titles available by Johnny Pain
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks
johnnypain
Site Admin

Re: Fatfucked 40 year old: cut calories?

Postby cloudatlas » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:19 pm

Thanks for the advice, man. Gotta bite the bullet and get my ass out of bed for the morning fasted cardio. I'll get back in touch in a few months.
cloudatlas

Return to Q&A with Johnny Pain