New to this

Your direct line to JP. Fire at will!

New to this

Postby Gmatt » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:09 pm

Hey first off after reading your book this seems like everything I want in a program. So thank you for your advice!
I just have a few questions.

I am currently running Starting Strength. I bought the book along with yours and I feel the book has a lot of good information. The program is ok for skinny guys but I'm a bigger guy at 260lbs and the thought of eating more makes me think I'm going to get more fat. Also the forums over there are very condescending but that's besides the point.

What weights should I start with? These are my current SS lifts
Bench 105lbs Squat 175lbs. press 65lbs deadlift 205lb

Also I don't have access to fractional plates so can 5lb increases and 10lb increases be ok with the program?

Also this may be a stupid question the weight plates at my gym are about 2inches smaller in diameter (45lb plate) than the standard plate, does this make a significant difference in deadlifting? The SS forum made a big deal about it.

Also do you do the OH press as taught in starting strength book with the movement off the hips? Sorry for all the stupid questions? Sometimes I overthink shit
Gmatt

Re: New to this

Postby johnnypain » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:30 pm

Welcome to the board.

For your starting weights I'd probably knock everything back about 10 lb across the board. Make sure to hit the last sets hard and gets as many reps as you can.

Fractional plates are so easy to make or improvise, that I have a hard time telling anyone not to use them. You'll want them for the upper body movements especially. Don't spend a lot on anything, just grab a couple of one pound wrist weights to use, or rig up some pieces of chain.

The diameter of the plates is not terribly important. Your deadlift technique will be a bit different than it would with conventional plates, but it'll just be like you're doing a deficit pull. Miraculously one can get strong without having the gear and programming that the SS crowd believes is absolutely necessary.

As for the press, I'm not sure how it's taiga over there now, but if you're referring to a movement in the hips as the bar starts its ascent, that's fine. The biggest differences in my teaching method are the spacing of the hands, and the mental focus on doing a "pec deck" movement with the elbows throughout the lift.
Follow me on Twitter @thejohnnypain http://twitter.com/#!/thejohnnypain

Ebook titles available by Johnny Pain
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks
johnnypain
Site Admin

Postby Gmatt » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:41 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yea the SS book was good learning info, but the way they make it seem like what they say is God like gets annoying. Personally I think everyone is sort of on Rips nuts for some odd reason. Your program makes more sense with my goals and such. What do you mean by pec deck? Also as for warm up weights how do you go about selecting them
Gmatt

Postby johnnypain » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:49 pm

Yeah there is no shortage of ultra strong, knowledgeable internet warriors who have never pressed over 150 that are all too willing to preach the methods of the "one true prophet" of their choosing. I don't understand it personally, but this is a place for those who are more concerned with getting strong or super fit than being "right".

Google a pec dec machine. You've no doubt seen one at some point. As you press, imagine that you are performing the pec dec movement with your arms throughout the movement, it will get your armpits tightened up and help create the requisite tightness to do the movement correctly.

As for warmups, just pick two weights in between the bar and your work that are relatively easy to load. Don't overthink that one. If you need a calculator at the gym or a spreadsheet or something, your programming is probably infinitely too complex.

johnnypain
Site Admin

Postby Gmatt » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:37 pm

I've bounced around from program to program and just can't find one I like. SS Has got me overthinking things tremendously. To the point where when I am in the gym I am thinking about dumb shit instead of lifting. I think I am going to start with the base program
Week One:
Monday
Press 2 x 5, 1 x 5+ Squat 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
Wednesday
Bench Press 2 x 5, 1 x 5+ Deadlift 1 x 5+
Friday
Press 2 x 5, 1 x 5+ Squat 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
Week Two:
Monday
Bench Press 2 x 5, 1 x 5+ Squat 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
Wednesday
Press 2 x 5, 1 x 5+ Deadlift 1 x 5+
Friday
Bench Press 2 x 5, 1 x 5+ Squat 2 x 5, 1 x 5+

As for add ons may add some ab work and maybe curls and negative pull-ups (cause I can't do a single pull up) any specific days to add these on and any ab work you reccomend
Gmatt

Postby johnnypain » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:59 pm

Looks good man. The base program will always deliver.

As for adding chins and curls, the book has all of that spelled out, with each as the second movement of the day, and FM for chins.

As for ab work, cable crunches and hanging knee raises would be my biggest recommendations.

johnnypain
Site Admin

Postby Gmatt » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:31 pm

So the program I have made up would look something like this
Monday
Press 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
Curls
Squat 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
Ab work

Wednesday
Bench Press 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
V pull down or dumbbell row (one or the other, I have to see if my gym has v bar)
Deadlift 1 x 5+
Ab work

Friday
Press 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
Curls
Squat 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
Ab work

Is it ok to have ab work after squats and deadlift? I will also start doing frequency method for Chins once I get a pull up bar in my basement
For curls and v pull down or dumbbell rows how do you go about adding weight?

Sorry for all the questions. You are a good man for doing this answering probably the same question over and over and still being a genuine dude. Much respect !
Gmatt

Postby Gmatt » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:43 am

Also, one more question lol. Does it matter if I do bench press with squat on A workout and ohp with deadlift on B workout
Gmatt

Postby johnnypain » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:09 pm

Everything looks good the way you have it laid out. No problems with the order.

Add weight to curls like any other lift, assuming you're hitting your rep targets. Treat them like a main lift, I loathe the "accessory work" to training; If you're going to train a lift, train the lift.

If you don't have a v-handle attachment you can use a regular pulldown bar with a close grip, palms forward.

DB rows ARE NOT a substitution for the heavy vertical pulling.

Bench and OHP can be paired with either of the big lifts. I just tend to favor pairing them the way that I do in the book.

johnnypain
Site Admin

Postby Gmatt » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:42 pm

Thanks man.

So the program I have made up would look something like this
Monday
Press 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
V pull down
Squat 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
Ab work

Wednesday
Bench Press 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
Curls
Deadlift 1 x 5+
Ab work

Friday
Press 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
V pull down
Squat 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
Ab work

Last question. Add weight to the v-pull down similar to all lifts? I ditched the dumbell rows.

Thanks so much man! That will be my last question
Gmatt

Next

Return to Q&A with Johnny Pain