Beginner and intermediate lifters

Your direct line to JP. Fire at will!

Beginner and intermediate lifters

Postby Feru » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:29 pm

What is the exact definition of beginner and intermediate lifters? Are they determined by the number of training years? Their strength levels? Whether they can progress workout to workout? And what is in your opinion the best intermediate program?

On a side note: My squat is stuck at around 85 kg/ 187 pounds for 3 reps. My deadlift has been increasing and has reached 140 kg/304 pounds for 3 reps and it's my first reset. My bench sits around 90kg/198 pounds for 3 reps.
I have been working out for many years but I started with bodyweight training as I didn't have access to the gym so my upper body strength is greater than lower body. However, the back squats has always been the lift I am not progressing on.

I have resettled squats twice. In The recent reset I reduced weight by 10 % and found it still hard to complete 3x5. Various issues occur such as it turns into a good morning squat, the weight moves towards my toes. My recovery seems fine as I have been progressing all of my other lifts except squats . What are your suggestions? I was thinking of maybe switching to front squats to strengthen my quads and core and then go back to back squats.
Feru

Re: Beginner and intermediate lifters

Postby johnnypain » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:52 pm

You should definitely check out my article entitled "Intermediate Syndrome". It addresses my thoughts on the first question pretty in depth. Many know that issue to be the bane of my existence.

As for the squat, I doubt you NEED to go to front squats to get past where you are now. I'm not saying that you could not add them to a rotation, but I doubt theta they are needed for that purpose at the moment.

Send over some video of the squat if you can, and I'll see what I can give you as feedback.
Follow me on Twitter @thejohnnypain http://twitter.com/#!/thejohnnypain

Ebook titles available by Johnny Pain
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks
johnnypain
Site Admin

Re: Beginner and intermediate lifters

Postby BuffDrinkLots » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:08 am

johnnypain wrote:You should definitely check out my article entitled "Intermediate Syndrome". It addresses my thoughts on the first question pretty in depth. Many know that issue to be the bane of my existence.

As for the squat, I doubt you NEED to go to front squats to get past where you are now. I'm not saying that you could not add them to a rotation, but I doubt theta they are needed for that purpose at the moment.

Send over some video of the squat if you can, and I'll see what I can give you as feedback.
Feru wrote:What is the exact definition of beginner and intermediate lifters? Are they determined by the number of training years? Their strength levels? Whether they can progress workout to workout? And what is in your opinion the best intermediate program?

On a side note: My squat is stuck at around 85 kg/ 187 pounds for 3 reps. My deadlift has been increasing and has reached 140 kg/304 pounds for 3 reps and it's my first reset. My bench sits around 90kg/198 pounds for 3 reps.
I have been working out for many years but I started with bodyweight training as I didn't have access to the gym so my upper body strength is greater than lower body. However, the back squats has always been the lift I am not progressing on.

I have resettled squats twice. In The recent reset I reduced weight by 10 % and found it still hard to complete 3x5. Various issues occur such as it turns into a good morning squat, the weight moves towards my toes. My recovery seems fine as I have been progressing all of my other lifts except squats . What are your suggestions? I was thinking of maybe switching to front squats to strengthen my quads and core and then go back to back squats.

Hi.
That article is a must read!
I had the exact same issue with my back squats. I started to stall/plateau; the reset weight started to feel heavy and I was not progressing. I induced a reset on my back squats and switched to the front squats(on day 3)the same week. I started to progress again on my back squats and broke through my previous plateau. Also, back squatting only once a week made if “fresh and new” again. Furthermore, front squats are a challenging lift in their own right and do carry over to the deadlifts as well.

FYI, I use the both style grips(clean grip and cross arm). I alternate the grips throughout my warm up sets and my working sets.
BuffDrinkLots

Return to Q&A with Johnny Pain