Bill Starr

Your direct line to JP. Fire at will!

Bill Starr

Postby greco » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:12 pm

Hi, JP... I'm new on your forum, but I have been doing your program for a while. When you wrote about the Incline Bench Press you mentioned Bill Starr, who told you that he preferred this variation over the flat one. I'd like to know more about the experience you had with Starr, any gems worth mentioning?
greco

Re: Bill Starr

Postby johnnypain » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:12 pm

There were many gems, few of which are suitable for a public form (even this one) however.

Two good ones though were:

1. He had me demonstrate my press. I was stoked to get his feedback on my technique as I was chasing a 300 press at the time (was pressing around 265 for doubles). I'll add that to do so he encouraged me to "just push it through the drywall", making holes in the low ceiling in his apartment with the training plates on the bar. After I was done he said "That's more than enough technique to press 300, now you just have to get strong".

2. He basically described the Greyskull reset in detail as the principle method used by those at York to overcome pressing plateaus. To paraphrase, he said something like, "what we used to do was take a weight and press it for reps, let's say we were looking for 4 or 5. We'd add a pound or two each workout, and when we couldn't make the reps we wanted anymore we'd bump the weight back a little bit and set rep records with the lighter weight until we got back up to the weight that we stalled at. At that point we'd pass right by it". I'll never forget the look on the other well known strength guy in the room when I made eye contact with him upon hearing this. I'd been discussing on the ride to Starr's what I thought I'd "developed" (the greyskull reset) that I had been using to help those on his program break through plateaus at the time instead of just knocking off weight and going back up with 5's. Starr said something like "that's what I always told you" to the other guy, who had told me on the ride up that the method "sounded genius but that he didn't think it would allow for enough recovery".

Oh ok, and one more funny one without getting too much into the good stuff (see me at a seminar for that sometime). Starr insisted on making crab cakes and we walked what felt like miles over this hill to a grocery store, passing two places advertising crab cakes (he lived in Maryland). I was smoked as I was in no kind of cardio shape at the time, working only on being huge. He insisted that it was much cheaper to make them ourselves. I offered numerous times to just pay for fucking crab cakes at one of the bars, but he was having none of it. Then he cut himself while making them and I had to watch him mix the crab meat and other ingredients with a bloody finger.

He was an odd duck, but a hell of a guy, and a wealth of knowledge. I got a Christmas card (which always looked like he had a box stashed from the 60's under his bed from when he'd stocked up) every year until he passed.
Follow me on Twitter @thejohnnypain http://twitter.com/#!/thejohnnypain

Ebook titles available by Johnny Pain
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks
johnnypain
Site Admin

Return to Q&A with Johnny Pain