In regards to fasted walking

Your direct line to JP. Fire at will!

In regards to fasted walking

Postby Joker » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:17 am

So I'm getting ready to start GSLP later today (after work), been reading into it over the last few weeks and think it will be a great fit for me. I see the benefit of fasted walking, but not sure how I'd be able to fit that in. My morning schedule is like this:
5am - wakeup/shower/dressed/etc
6am - leave house
7am - get to work (I generally eat my breakfast once I get to my desk)

As for the type of work that I do, I work in IT but I'm able to pretty much get up and walk around the building and do whatever I want (I have a pager that goes off as well as notifications on my phone if I'm needed) so I could get 45-60 minutes of walking in during the morning. I guess my thing is how long is too long before eating after waking up, if I were to do fasted walking at the office it would be roughly 3-4 hours after waking up before I ate.
It never gets easier, you just get better
Darkside Iron
Joker

Re: In regards to fasted walking

Postby johnnypain » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:01 pm

Welcome to the board.

Assuming you're getting enough in throughout the rest of the day in terms of your diet, a 3-4 hour continued fast after waking is not going to be a major problem.

I've set up my schedule that way at times for various scheduling purposes and have been able to make progress. Some actually respond very well to the extended fast.

What you could do is down some BCAA pills shortly after waking to jumpstart the system without actually breaking the fast. Coffee would be fine also.

Give it hell and keep us posted on your progress.
Follow me on Twitter @thejohnnypain http://twitter.com/#!/thejohnnypain

Ebook titles available by Johnny Pain
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks
johnnypain
Site Admin

Postby Fedemon » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:58 pm

Hey all, I'm new here after a friend of mine suggested me to try this program out (total beginner here but really excited about it)

The whole fasted walking idea seems really quite awesome, but I have a couple of questions regarding it:

1) Seems silly I know, but how quickly should I walk? Am I supposed to break into a sweat or not?

2) Fasted means no breakfast before, but I can still drink half a liter of lemon water right after waking up as I usually do, right?

3) Should I also start with some push-ups before, or better wait to do those?

Thanks in advance for the help !
Fedemon

Postby johnnypain » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:22 pm

1. I like to tell people to walk at a decent pace, one that is nothing like a jog, but faster than your normal stride.

2. The lemon water is fine and won't hurt anything.

3. It really doesn't matter if you did the push ups before or after. I do it both ways sometimes; sometimes even during the walk, particularly if I'm carrying a pack.

johnnypain
Site Admin

Fasted Walking - Fat Burning / Gaining Strength

Postby Smarty » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:26 am

Hey Johnny,

just finished reading SWOLE and GSLP -- great work!
Don't want to open a new thread, so I'll put my question in here.

Started with SS and got all the bullshit information (GOMAD etc.) described in your books; so I always got fat, lost the weight (+strength) or accomplished next to nothing in my lifts.

As I am not really content with my bodyfat at the moment but making strength gains again after sticking to your Baseline Diet and the GSLP I am really motivated to hit the weights again.

Are the morning walks only a tool for increasing appetite and limiting the fat gain during the surplus?
You wrote several times in your books that it is possible to lose fat while gaining muscle.
My question would be if morning walks (every day for 45-60 mins) + 2 HIIT sessions (as recommended on We and Sa) with a baseline diet accomplish both goals at the same time or if it would be better to shred some fat first?

Thanks!
Smarty

Re: Fasted Walking - Fat Burning / Gaining Strength

Postby johnnypain » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:12 pm

Smarty wrote:Hey Johnny,

just finished reading SWOLE and GSLP -- great work!
Don't want to open a new thread, so I'll put my question in here.

Started with SS and got all the bullshit information (GOMAD etc.) described in your books; so I always got fat, lost the weight (+strength) or accomplished next to nothing in my lifts.

As I am not really content with my bodyfat at the moment but making strength gains again after sticking to your Baseline Diet and the GSLP I am really motivated to hit the weights again.

Are the morning walks only a tool for increasing appetite and limiting the fat gain during the surplus?
You wrote several times in your books that it is possible to lose fat while gaining muscle.
My question would be if morning walks (every day for 45-60 mins) + 2 HIIT sessions (as recommended on We and Sa) with a baseline diet accomplish both goals at the same time or if it would be better to shred some fat first?

Thanks!

What you're proposing will work nicely.

Think about it like this: If you're training hard three times per week with weights, hitting fasted walks for 45-60 min most days, and doing some intense conditioning twice per week, it won't be long before your body takes on the appearance of a person with those habits. This is one of the simplest, yet forgotten messages in my stuff.

johnnypain
Site Admin

Return to Q&A with Johnny Pain