LCI Questions

Your direct line to JP. Fire at will!

Re: LCI Questions

Postby johnnypain » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:05 am

mtn7mm wrote:Is the dumbbell supination press done laying on a bench like a reverse grip bench or is it an overhead press with palms facing you?

It begins like a regular bench press except the palms are rotated in towards each other at the top of the movement.
Follow me on Twitter @thejohnnypain http://twitter.com/#!/thejohnnypain

Ebook titles available by Johnny Pain
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks
johnnypain
Site Admin

Has Anyone Made it Through the Whole 12 Weeks Yet?

Postby Unbowed » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:11 am

I am just curious as to what everyone else's experience has been.

I made it thru week 7, but then Rugby season made me have to shift into a more strength maintenance/active recovery phase at the gym. Here are my key points:

Awesome program, took me from the couch to be able to compete in Div II men's rugby at age 40. I used the GSLP for the strength and hit my first resets at week 5-6, so I saw a lot of numbers kept going up.

I saw significant increase in upper body mass. My shirts started fitting differently. They were all getting shorter and tighter. I didn't think my midsection was getting any bigger, but around the chest and shoulder area was snug on most of my 2x's.

I received a few compliments and people asking "you loosing weight?", but here is the kicker (and the main reason for the post)... I ACTUALLY GAINED WEIGHT. I went from walking around at about 281-284lbs to 288-290lbs in those weeks. I was shocked cause I felt lighter and was moving much better.

I am trying to find out if this is a natural byproduct of the program (assuming it is). A weight gain due to muscle mass and then drop as you move thru weeks 8-12. I just restarted the 12 weeks as my season comes to an end this week and I wanted to get the full 12 completed and will report back, but I am curious to hear of anyone else's (similar) results.

K
Unbowed

Postby Jackass » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:36 pm

I'm curious about this program- if it is aimed at a trainee using high intensity/circuit techniques to increase calorie expenditure, how is it the the trainee in the cover photo is actually clearly bigger, and while being more ripped?
Surely one starting this program would emphasise fat loss and therefore would be taking in too few calories to make that quick a mass gain ?
Jackass

Postby johnnypain » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Jackass wrote:I'm curious about this program- if it is aimed at a trainee using high intensity/circuit techniques to increase calorie expenditure, how is it the the trainee in the cover photo is actually clearly bigger, and while being more ripped?
Surely one starting this program would emphasise fat loss and therefore would be taking in too few calories to make that quick a mass gain ?

This is a prime case of how NOT black and white these things are.

LCI is not a fat loss program, it is a recomposition program (if it must be considered anything at all). The universal response from adhering to this method is increased strength and muscle mass AND a dramatic reduction in body fat.

Don't forget that there is still the "L" (lift) component in LCI, and it is layed out in a manner that promotes strength and mass gains. The circuit and interval components lend themselves extremely well to fat loss, but are far from catabolic.

I've heard for years that it's impossible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time, but I've always chosen not to believe that. As a result I've spent several years blowing gaping holes in that logic with trainees.

Think of it as an "inconvenient truth".

johnnypain
Site Admin

Postby Chops » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:03 pm

johnnypain wrote:I've heard for years that it's impossible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time, but I've always chosen not to believe that. As a result I've spent several years blowing gaping holes in that logic with trainees.

Think of it as an "inconvenient truth".

I can personally attest to the ability to gain muscle while also cutting fat. I've done it. First by simply picking up a barbell and then, when the noob gains ended, following the recommendations laid out in SWOLE. (jesus, I sound like a salesman for that book. I swear JP isnt paying me to promote it. I just believe in it that much.)

I'd be interested in trying out the LCI program down the line. Probably after I exhaust the Linebacker LP.
Chops

Postby johnnypain » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:45 am

Chops wrote:following the recommendations laid out in SWOLE. (jesus, I sound like a salesman for that book. I swear JP isnt paying me to promote it. I just believe in it that much.)

As a simple note on business practices, this is precisely why it's so important to over deliver on quality when it comes to your products or services. Violate customer or client expectations in a positive way (by exceeding them), and you will organically develop a passionate "team" of marketers. Likewise, release or produce a shitty product to simply make some money quickly (as is all too common in the S&C industry), and you'll make a few bucks until the initial marketing push for the product dies off.

Thank you Chops for your ongoing support and endorsement of my work.

johnnypain
Site Admin

Postby Jackass » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:53 am

So, does Swole lay out methods for someone looking to recomp, or is it really aimed at a full on mass gain phase?

Also, would one change the LCI or GSLP for that matter, for someone of my age? 39 years old, and possibly erring in a higher rep direction to help the joints etc
Jackass

Postby johnnypain » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:52 am

Jackass wrote:So, does Swole lay out methods for someone looking to recomp, or is it really aimed at a full on mass gain phase?

Also, would one change the LCI or GSLP for that matter, for someone of my age? 39 years old, and possibly erring in a higher rep direction to help the joints etc

SWOLE is an interesting reference in that it was originally intended to be a book for mass gain diet construction, however, the principles presented in it have been adapted by loads of readers to accomplish a variety of objectives like fat loss, recomp, etc.

Understanding the base layer, and how to add or remove layers is the most important piece of the diet puzzle. So yes, SWOLE can and has certainly been used for the purposes of recomposition.

As for the age factor, I've had guys ten years your senior use both GSLP and LCI as written with great success, both in the gym here, and around the world. That said, it is definitely possible to make simple adjustments if necessary, such as reducing the frequency of training sessions per week if your recovery becomes a factor. More often than not, your body can handle much more than you give it credit for at your old (39 is not old) age, so long as you acclimate it to the new work. Fortunately both programs have that idea built right in.

johnnypain
Site Admin

Postby ahahah » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:48 pm

So when do you usually transition people to LCI from the GSLP (if you even look at it like that)? I don't think I've exhausted the LP gains, but I think I'm hitting some pretty good strength benchmarks with what is probably a 20% bodyfat (not fat-fucked but room for improvement), so maybe LCI is the best use of my gym time. Tentatively, my plan has been to replace one of my squat days to replace one of my squat days with either the program to get to 50 bodyweight squats or THIS front squat program when I reset, but maybe this is a good time to switch over to LCI. I'll probably end up resetting in Jan/Feb too, so it'd be good timing for the spring/summer.
ahahah

Postby johnnypain » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:04 pm

ahahah wrote:So when do you usually transition people to LCI from the GSLP (if you even look at it like that)? I don't think I've exhausted the LP gains, but I think I'm hitting some pretty good strength benchmarks with what is probably a 20% bodyfat (not fat-fucked but room for improvement), so maybe LCI is the best use of my gym time. Tentatively, my plan has been to replace one of my squat days to replace one of my squat days with either the program to get to 50 bodyweight squats or THIS front squat program when I reset, but maybe this is a good time to switch over to LCI. I'll probably end up resetting in Jan/Feb too, so it'd be good timing for the spring/summer.

I think that if you are looking for a change of pace that involves dropping some serious body fat while continuing to get stronger, LCI is probably exactly the right thing for you right now.

johnnypain
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Q&A with Johnny Pain