JP Consult Experience

Your direct line to JP. Fire at will!

Re: JP Consult Experience

Postby Codey » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Trying to fill to the gaps my starting strength experience left me with, I found Greyskull LP and have been very excited with my progress in a month. Wanting to extract to most from this experience I booked a consult and just got off the phone. As mentioned by other posters, the experience differed from what I had envisioned. It was very motivational and gave me a lot to think about in terms of where I'm going, how to get there and the changes I need to incorporate in order to meet my goals. The consultation was a real eye opener for me and I'm sure that once I've applied the changes discussed my training will be taken to a whole new level. The consultation was a great experience and I recommend anyone contemplating it to stop thinking about it and do it.
Codey

Postby Sardaukar » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:39 pm

I posted my enthusiastic opinion of my Consult Experience on the Saved By The Bell Consult page on 1-21-12. I wanted to contribute to this Thread's swelling Reply listing.
All previous thoughts and feelings about the Consult remain the same. I still highly recommend to all who are involved with this site; and/or those who are considering starting a new program and have stumbled across the Greyskull Lp.
Speak with the man behind StrengthVillain, and be prepared. Have questions prepared and note pad ready. As stated on the Podcast the conversation goes well over 45 minutes. I believe mine was about an hour and a half (I had a timer set for 60 minutes but it went off almost halfway through) I felt all my questions were answered and wasn't rushed, (although I have new ones now) He also told me that all consult clients are kept in the radar and their questions answered ASAP. He gave his opinions and recommendations for achieving my goal, and now I have to see it through.
Hope that helps promote this thing, and convince all who have interest.
Sardaukar

Postby Dieter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:44 pm

I have all the books, I've listened to all the podcasts, I've read the threads and I even went to the Captain Kirk Seminar that JP held, so I feel I have a pretty good idea of what to do in the gym, and how to approach training. When the consult sale started I figured "well shit this wouldn't hurt to get some oppinions." As the consult got closer though my training was making more sense to me and I was really confident I was on the right track. You see, I'm 31 years old, I have a white collar job, where I manage people, so no training isn't my life. It is a release for me. My training suffers when I'm not stressed out. When things are going good I have to put more effort into my training. So my life looks pretty good to everyone else, but I have some internal issues I'm dealing with. When it came time to sit down and shoot the shit JP I realized that I wasn't there for the training advice. I was there because I needed someone to talk to, someone that could give me advice, someone that I could relate to. I have always been someone who was always there for his friends. I always look for the person who is broken and I try and help them fix themselves. Nothing feels better than seeing one of your best friends, who cheated death, come back and finish college and know it probably wouldn't have happened if you weren't a part of there life. So I've always been the listener. I haven't had someone to listen. You don't know how much of a relief it was when John started telling me the new direction he is going with the consults. John and I started talking and telling life stories. During this conversation he helped me identify some negative thoughts that weren't just holding back my confidence, but holding me back from reaching my full potential. This consult could have been the best most productive surprise I have ever received, because I now have some direction in life and my career.

Oh yeah, he can make all this shit work for your lifting too. It's just a matter of how you apply the knowledge bombs he's about to drop on you.

Thanks John.
Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning.
Thomas Jefferson
Dieter

Postby 1234.ia » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:13 am

Hi John,

I sent you an email last wednesday regarding the possibility of doing a consult. If you get a second, would you be able to check it out?

Thanks.
1234.ia

Postby FireMarshalPaul » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:51 pm

I had my first consult with JP yesterday, and would enthusiastically recommend a consult with JP to anyone who is on the fence. After leaving the Army in 2006, my bodyfat gradually started creeping up, until I finally woke up and realized that things had gotten out of control. I am in the same boat as a lot of people in that I have spent a large amount of money on training plans, personal trainers, diet plans, supplements, etc., each time with less than desirable results. These past efforts failed for reasons that I did not fully understand until I talked to JP.

There are two major aspects that make JP's consult experience different from all my past experiences:

1) JP addresses many aspects outside of diet and nutrition that are vitally important to ensuring success. A significant take-away is that these lessons do not only apply to training; they are transferable to other aspects of your life. I would try to explain further but it really is better if you schedule a consult with JP yourself and have him explain it as only he can.

2) Unlike many personal trainers/coaches, instead of pushing a "personalized" training/diet plan on you (picked from 1 of 3 templates) that promises results in a certain amount of time (as long as you keep paying for the service), JP looks at what you are doing now diet and nutrition-wise and suggests small but powerful tweaks that can dramatically improve your results. For example, if you have activities you like to do (running in my case), JP suggests ways to reap much more benefit from that activity, instead of insisting that you scrap said activity entirely for a "better" one that you may hate and thus find hard to sustain for a long period of time. JP's recommendations are truly personalized towards your individual goals and activities.

As other people have mentioned, JP answers all your questions, and is more than generous with his time. He truly wants you to succeed as opposed to others that say they want you to succeed because you are paying them. Bottom line: schedule a consult. You will not regret it.
FireMarshalPaul

Postby johnnypain » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:49 pm

1234.ia wrote:Hi John,

I sent you an email last wednesday regarding the possibility of doing a consult. If you get a second, would you be able to check it out?

Thanks.

Must have slipped past me, I'll look for it and get you a response.
Follow me on Twitter @thejohnnypain http://twitter.com/#!/thejohnnypain

Ebook titles available by Johnny Pain
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks
johnnypain
Site Admin

Postby Skillet » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:55 pm

I just robbed Johnny Pain. That is the only way to put it. The knowledge I gained from the consult I had with him yesterday was worth at least double what I paid, no exaggeration. If you are on the fence about signing up for a consult, get the hell off and do it now.

I know that this sounds like hyperbole, but I am honestly blown away by the experience. Many on this thread have said that it was beyond their expectations, and I initially thought I knew what this meant. I didn't. It was beyond my expectations in the way that there is no possible way that I could have guessed where the conversation would go prior to the phone call, or that the direction J.P. takes the consults in was what I even needed. I second the people that have already stated that this is different than the cookie cutter "eat this, lift that, good luck" type of product. J.P. is really on to something here, and now hopefully so am I. I intend to use what I learned in the consult not just to regain my status as a walking waterpark, but also to help me in other aspects of my life.

Thanks again, J.P.
Skillet

Postby kucifer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:31 pm

Just had my consult with JP this afternoon and it was well worth the time and investment.

The most important thing to understand about the consult process is this:

This consult is not really about getting ripped, getting strong or smashing PRs (although you'll learn how to achieve any of these with the tools JP gives you). What this consult is about is understanding how you move through life, how your own standards, beliefs and habits effect the outcomes you seek, and how you can take control of your life, your mind and your desires.

I know this sounds heady. And it is. But it is an hour that will help you forge new paths in your life and your training.

I think the conversation with JP really helped to crystalize a truth about this "place" and the pursuit of strength and self-betterment.

We are all here to become better men. Stronger, leaner, richer, more fully formed. Better fathers, sons, husbands and friends. We live in an age that has almost rewarded the opposite. Men of this age are fatter, weaker (physically and mentally), more resigned to a fate they do not love and less prepared for the future ahead of us.

I think most of us feel this intuitively. And I think that's why most of us came here whether we realized it or not. To buck the trend of weaksuckass we see and feel around us.

The consultation gives you the tools to reset your fate to one worthy of your own pride and admiration. And that is worth any sum of money.

Thanks JP. The work begins.

kucifer
kucifer

Postby art vandelay » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:28 pm

I am a 24 year old coach who is just starting out in the business. I originally had contacted John after I tore my hamstring with the idea that he could give me some coaching and programming to get over the injury quicker. I had been pretty beastly before hand, having followed CrossFit for a number of years and more recently CrossFit Football. I had hit a lot of PR's but was beginning to plateau on some of my lifts before the injury.

I will say this about the call. It was NOT what I was expecting at all...... But it was EXACTLY what I needed.

Like I said above, I was expecting John to give me some programming and mechanical instruction essentially. But what I got was so much more. I was more worried about what exercises I should be including, what days I should be doing metcons etc., while John finally made me realize that it was the mental aspect I was lacking. I already had all the knowledge about the mechanical aspects of my training but I was lacking the dedication and motivation to stick with one program and wasn’t setting standards for myself (or my clients).

I don't know what else to say other than if you are having trouble progressing with your training or training your clients, give John a call. The knowledge he passed to me will be invaluable in helping me become a better coach and a better athlete.

Great stuff all around.
art vandelay

Postby ragnar_danneskold » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:34 pm

I just had my consult and while I'm not sure what I expected I got a lot more than I imagined. The stuff about the nuts and bolts is there but its only a small part. The mental game is what we spent the most time on. Johnny cracked open my brain and picked out the stuff that's been holding me back. I've done a lot of research in this on the way to my masters in exercise physiology but I have never encountered anyone who wasn't trying to sell a specific plan or book or didn't speak in such generalities that it was impossible to be really useful. Johnny was neither of those things and if your on the fence about setting up a call just do it. You wont be disappointed and you wont get this on your own without spending a few years reading a ton of books and experimenting on your friends. Thanks Johnny.
ragnar_danneskold

PreviousNext

Return to Q&A with Johnny Pain