Starting Powerbuilding

Your direct line to JP. Fire at will!

Starting Powerbuilding

Postby Scott Beall » Tue May 03, 2011 2:14 am

Enjoying the e-books and looking fwd to the Powerbuilding one!

Just started the Powerbuilding stuff and am excited to change things up (did 5 months of GS-LP w/ 1 reset and PR'd a 500 Squat, 550 DL). Damn, is my chest sore w/ that DB Flye/Decline Bench combo, even with a 70lb drop from Flat Benching weight from GS-LP!

Sorry if I missed these answers elsewhere, JP...

When you lift, JP, or prescribe a program, how do you determine whether you want to do straight sets, RP, or Pre-exhaust for certain Upper Body Movements? Do you just do what sounds fun?

Today, after doing Yates Rows before Deadlifting, my spinal erectors were filled w/ lactic acid. Pushed through the pain, but this combo challenged the endurance of my spinal erectors more than it did my lats. Should I continue on and increase spinal erector endurance (and lactic acid tolerance), eventually hitting the lats or change things up to focus on lats (DB Rows perhaps)?

Do you like to slow down the negatives a little on the main upper body lifts for both RP and pre-exhaust (as in DC Training)?

Any idea when some instructional vids will be up?
Scott Beall

Re: Starting Powerbuilding

Postby johnnypain » Wed May 04, 2011 1:14 am

The default method is to use straight sets. Two sets within a certain rep range or two different rep ranges. Additional intensity techniques like pre-exhaust or rest pause are added based on which body parts you are trying to bring up. You want to avoid using intensity techniques with too many lifts at once. Pick one or two body parts and focus on those while you straight set the others.

If your erectors are fried from Yates Rows, chances are you are bending forward too much at the waist.

I do teach a slower negative on the upper body stuff (minus heavy back work like rows or deadlifts). Nothing painfully slow, just more controlled than most are accustomed to.

Congratulations on your recent PR's and all of your recent life developments as well. It's good to see you back on here.

Videos are definitely on the short list, they are coming.
Follow me on Twitter @thejohnnypain http://twitter.com/#!/thejohnnypain

Ebook titles available by Johnny Pain
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks
johnnypain
Site Admin

Postby Scott Beall » Wed May 04, 2011 1:53 am

Life developments? Did I tell you about those or are you psychic? Yeah, life is changing! I'm getting married in 2 weeks, closing on a duplex (w/ 2 car garage, hello Scott's Gym!) in a month, and having a boy in 3 months. He's kicking my girl a lot, so I'm thinking decent lower body strength! :lol:

Btw, what are you goals currently, JP? What program you running?
Scott Beall

Postby Pogue Mahone » Wed May 04, 2011 8:07 am

Where do we find out about powerbuilding, is there somewhere on the site I'm missing?

Thanks

Pogue
Pogue Mahone

Postby Scott Beall » Wed May 04, 2011 1:15 pm

Your Greyskull thread became so popular b/c you outlined the basics of the program and people ran w/ it. While I do realize others have posted what they're doing in the Powerbuilding routine, I bet others would benefit from another outline of a program. Could you give us the basics, JP?

Also, you've indicated in your ebook that Powerbuilding is only for the strong guys. At what general strength marks would you say, okay, this dude's ready?
Scott Beall

Postby johnnypain » Thu May 05, 2011 12:35 am

Scott Beall wrote:Life developments? Did I tell you about those or are you psychic? Yeah, life is changing! I'm getting married in 2 weeks, closing on a duplex (w/ 2 car garage, hello Scott's Gym!) in a month, and having a boy in 3 months. He's kicking my girl a lot, so I'm thinking decent lower body strength! :lol:

Btw, what are you goals currently, JP? What program you running?

Congratulations are definitely in order. You had mentioned those things in a text a while back, not psychic, though that would be cool.

Goals for me currently are putting a few pounds back on to about 235 where I will stay for a bit. Program wise I am doing a three day simple push,pull,squat kind of thing.

johnnypain
Site Admin

Postby johnnypain » Thu May 05, 2011 12:39 am

Scott Beall wrote:Your Greyskull thread became so popular b/c you outlined the basics of the program and people ran w/ it. While I do realize others have posted what they're doing in the Powerbuilding routine, I bet others would benefit from another outline of a program. Could you give us the basics, JP?

Also, you've indicated in your ebook that Powerbuilding is only for the strong guys. At what general strength marks would you say, okay, this dude's ready?

I'll consider posting something basic. It's really a lot less straightforward that the GSLP stuff, so there are a lot of variables, but I will see what I can do.

There is not a definite time at which a person should or should not do this sort of thing. Certain movements, particularly isolation movements will not work as well until the person is strong enough to make them count. Nonetheless, as I have stated before, if you are fired up about a program and will bust your ass on it because you are insanely motivated to do it, then who is to say that you are not ready? I'm sure there are some mature "beginners" out there that would thrive on this type of thing. When it comes down to it it is still about getting stronger in order to get bigger, so it is not as exclusive of an idea as it is sometimes made out to be.

johnnypain
Site Admin

Postby Scott Beall » Thu May 05, 2011 2:45 am

Pogue Mahone wrote:Where do we find out about powerbuilding, is there somewhere on the site I'm missing?

Thanks

Pogue

Powerbuilding, if I'm understanding in correctly, involves a program that emphasizes both getting stronger and bigger. Greyskull LP mainly is there to build a strength foundation (or continue strength gains). PB, typically, would be a next step to building more muscle mass after initial strength is established.
Scott Beall

Postby utexas_61 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:14 pm

Scott Beall wrote:
Pogue Mahone wrote:Where do we find out about powerbuilding, is there somewhere on the site I'm missing?

Thanks

Pogue

Powerbuilding, if I'm understanding in correctly, involves a program that emphasizes both getting stronger and bigger. Greyskull LP mainly is there to build a strength foundation (or continue strength gains). PB, typically, would be a next step to building more muscle mass after initial strength is established.

I am getting both strong and bigger on the LP, for what its worth.
utexas_61

Postby VKK » Thu May 05, 2011 12:36 pm

utexas_61 wrote:
Scott Beall wrote:

Thanks

Pogue

I am getting both strong and bigger on the LP, for what its worth.

x2. I gained about 20 lbs since i started the LP, and am still the same pant size.

I think i remember JP saying in one of the podcasts that powerbuilding is basically to bring up weaker bodyparts. Big lifts are still used, but various techniques such as pre exhaust are incorporated.

I could be wrong though.
VKK

Next

Return to Q&A with Johnny Pain