Old Man question about Squats

Your direct line to JP. Fire at will!

Old Man question about Squats

Postby Paddy Murphy » Wed May 18, 2016 9:17 am

Johnny,

Paddy here, I tweaked my back last night during my work set but I could feel it coming on earlier in the workout. My right hammy is still hurting form Sunday's round of golf if you can believe it and I kind of felt off balance the entire time. Below is my Squat procession from yesterday, should I cut back on the warm up reps after 95lb and just do singles until I get to the work set?

Empty Bar 2x5
95x5
115x5
135x3
155x2
165x1
175x1
185x3x5

I'm an older (52) novice with very stiff legs and doing a squat with the empty bar is actually harder to get real low on than 95 or 135 is. Is this common for older lifters? Is this a novice problem?
Paddy Murphy

Re: Old Man question about Squats

Postby johnnypain » Wed May 18, 2016 12:33 pm

I would cut back on the warmups definitely. You don't need to hit that many weights on your way up.

It's common for older guys to find it easier to get stretched out and warm by using some weight on the bar, yes. I have a client about your age right now that I always start with 135 for this reason. If you need more warmups to get loosened up, I'd just do more sets at that weight 135, then maybe hit a double or triple at a weight in the middle (165 for example), then either single something close to your work weight to "feel" the heavier weight before your work sets, or go right into them.
Follow me on Twitter @thejohnnypain http://twitter.com/#!/thejohnnypain

Ebook titles available by Johnny Pain
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks
johnnypain
Site Admin

Postby Paddy Murphy » Wed May 18, 2016 4:07 pm

so some thing like this for Saturday's Squats workout?

Bar warmups
135 2x5
160 x2
190 3x5

I just want my back feeling better by tomorrow, Thursday's Presses and Deadlifts is my favorite day of the week!
Paddy Murphy

Postby johnnypain » Wed May 18, 2016 4:11 pm

Yeah man, that looks good.

Give it hell.
Follow me on Twitter @thejohnnypain http://twitter.com/#!/thejohnnypain

Ebook titles available by Johnny Pain
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks
johnnypain
Site Admin

Postby MeatPlow » Sat May 21, 2016 6:58 am

Paddy,

I'm one that has had the same issues with my hamstring wanting to pull. I'm in my 40s and here is what I do. It may not work for you, but its kept me afloat up to now. If I feel my hamstrings getting that charlie horse feeling, I stop what I'm doing. To the point, I always ride the Airdyne bike 10 minutes to get the blood flowing and then I do 3 sets of 10 reps on the hyperextension and roman chair situps as my warmup. I focus on contracting my hamstrings, glutes and lower back. At first you may feel it takes away from your weights, and it may, but its allowed me to climb into PR territory that I left behind nearly 10 years ago. With my actual weight warmups, I keep the reps lower 1-3 for the most part and I have to take quite a few more warmups because I work up to the 400+ range. I've tried to do it with less total warmup but it seems that my age and body doesn't like it. You may be totally different though and what I do may cause you issue.
MeatPlow

Postby MeatPlow » Sat May 21, 2016 8:17 pm

Paddy,

Here is what I did today. 10 minute Airdyne and then 3x10 on the hypers and situps. Then it started.

barx10, 10
95x5
135x3
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x2
365x1
405x1
430x3- 3RM PR
https://youtu.be/a_YNvDDqTRc

I've found that I simply have to warmup much more than what I used to. 10-15 years ago I did the 90lb jumps no problem, but not anymore. We can get stronger at our ages, no question, but one needs to be more in tune with the body. When I hit the 365 I knew I was good to go. My plan was only to hit 430x1 but I felt it and went for it. I'll stay there until I get 5 reps and then it will be onto 455lbs.
MeatPlow

Postby Paddy Murphy » Mon May 23, 2016 9:42 am

Mr. Meat...or is it Mr. Plow?

You underestimate the level of my pathetic-ness. my hammy was killing me from walking 18 holes of golf two days prior to my squat session not from cramping... :D

In all seriousness, being a true novice I'm loving the huge gains I've made in the past 11 weeks but at my age the degree to which my once strong legs have atrophied since 1990 is beginning to hold me back. I'm a pretty big guy & can tell by the way the weights feel that hitting my first year goals of deadlifting my 310lb set, benching 225 and pressing 135 will happen by the end of the year, but squats are a different story.

Tight hammy's (can't get within 6 inches of touching my toes)+ tight groin muscles = no escaping some pain.

I'm going to keep plugging away but every squat rep is agony, GOD HELP ME I LOVE IT SO
Paddy Murphy

Return to Q&A with Johnny Pain