Lower back friendly squat and deadlift alternatives

Talk amongst yourselves. The more "off topic" the better.

Lower back friendly squat and deadlift alternatives

Postby milo332002 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:51 pm

I have decided to drop back squats and trap bar deadlifts at least for next year or so until I get my lower back issues under wraps and my insurance situation improves. At 45 years old I’m tired of lost training time and the depression that follows when I re tweak my lower back. My long term goals of being huge and brick house strong have changed anyways. I still want to get jacked in the upper body but care more about muscular endurance for my legs and still some hypertrophy but most of all not aggravating my balky lower back and possible sciatica. I still want to run the GSLP 3 programming for press, bench, and do the frequency work for body weight exercises but what can I do for my lower body and posterior chain? I’m thinking Bulgarian split squats, dumbbell step ups, kettlebell Goblet squats, maybe even higher rep barbell front squats and lastly banded supported pistol squats or all of the above?? What about posterior? Kettle ball one arm snatch, swings??
milo332002

Re: Lower back friendly squat and deadlift alternatives

Postby BeardSkull13 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:18 pm

Milo,

Hey man, I know how you feel- I have had many back injuries that left me unable to walk without pain for weeks at a time on multiple occasions last year. I thought that I was done and would never be able to squat or deadlift again.

What I learned was that I wasn't doing either correctly. What helped mw most was learning how to squat the Mark Rippetoe way. I never realized that I was high bar squatting which for my body type meant that when I reached full depth it caused a significant amount of lumbar flexion which kept leading to getting injured.

So I just ask, are you SURE you can't really squat or DL again? Because I think those exercises are so highly valuable that it would be a shame for you to lose them. I have been squatting and DL'ing pain free for the past year. I started really light-135 squat and 185 deadlift- and progressed to where I am now- squatting over 300lbs for 5 reps and deadlifting 455 for a single. PAIN FREE. After multiple herniations and thinking I could never squat again. Just something to consider.

If you are set on not doing either again then my 2 cents:

Lower Body: Leg Presses, Belt Squats, Goblet Squats (belt squats are the best option but not everybody has access to a belt squat machine, although you can load up a dip belt and do it by standing on two blocks)
Posterior: Reverse hypers, KB swings/cleans.

But understand I think those movements are really inferior to squatting and DL'ing, however there are no exercises you MUST do, I just think you might want to address form issues and exhaust that before going to a last resort. Good luck!
BeardSkull13

Return to The Team Room