Teampain question

Talk amongst yourselves. The more "off topic" the better.

Teampain question

Postby sam » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:29 am

Hey guys, those that have actually used TEAMPAIN coaching, how does it actually work?
sam

Re: Teampain question

Postby Briceps » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:03 am

I did the initial class and I received a list of workouts to complete for the week. For me it was 3 days in the gym, FM work, VC1 work, and several hard conditioning workouts. JP would give me expectations for many of the sessions (i.e. I want you to hit 1:15 on both 400m efforts, 225 x 10+ reps, etc).

It's not THAT much different than the normal LP, BUT, his expectations on you are a huge driving force. And there enough subtle differences that it drove my Bench and Squat numbers to all time PRs, and FM weighted chins made me go up a shirt size, all while getting slightly leaner though I wasn't eating all that great.

Definitely worth it if you're lacking motivation in the gym or bored with the standard routine.

I had a phone consult with JP about a year ago and it's kind of mind boggling how effective some of the simple shit he says is. For example, I've been stuck in the same lifting patterns and weights for a long time, and he challenged me to go in and deadlift 275 for as many reps as possible, and told me he GUARANTEED I could do 15+ reps or something like that, well, he was right, and it blew my mind when I walked in with a huge amount of intensity and went to failure and got something like 17 reps when I had previously done 7-8 at that weight.
Briceps

Postby LSU777 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:05 am

I did the teampain shootout class and am doing the current class, also have done a phone consult with custom programming from it. Honestly nothing Johnny says is mind blowing or something he hasnt said a tons of times before. The difference is he holds you accountable and atleast in my case atleast twice called me out when I was being a pussy and making excuses for skipping certain areas he prescribed. This is why every time I do a teampain class or something else with him I make amazing results.

Sam you have read my write up on the GSLP so you know how well I understand Johnnies methods. I have everyone of his books, have had many of the same infuences as him on my training yet I still turn to him when he offers training. I don't need it from a programming standpoint, but I do as it gives me a chance to bounce ideas off of him nd 100% worth it just so I am held accountable for my actions.

as far as how it works, usually its a lift, some other challenge type lift i.e. max deadlifts with 285 as described before or 200 kb swings etc, tons of fm work, and some conditioning sessions and usually a morning fasted walk.

All the things Johnny talks about in the LP and his articles.
LSU777

Postby sam » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:30 am

I would definitely listen to him for training advice. And I'd deffo listen to you too! You're a personal trainer I take it?

The write-up is great. Everyone I point to it seems to get something from it, whether it's just something little they've forgotten or a massive knowledge-bomb of good info.

So what I'm getting from this thread is that a lot of the coaching and success comes down to feeling accountable, after the fact that you've put some 'skin in the game'?

And that it work via email? Each week JP would send you a list of workouts to complete that you then email the results back to him?
sam

Postby LSU777 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:50 pm

not a trainer anymore, used to be in my younger days but I have been lifting for 20 years now(started at 15, 35 now).

as far as why it works, yes its mainly accountability but he also lays out everything where its easy to understand. Each week he sends you a few sessions to do. He doesn't say monday to do this, thursday do this etc. He says here is session 1, session 2,3,&4. He also says here is your Homework which he uses the total rep method for. So on the weekend you send him what you completed, he adjusts and sends back to you the daily homework and your 3 to 6 sessions he has laid out for you. If you want to do any extra work, thats on you, just make sure its not something stupid and its something you can recover from i.e. think about the layering system. Add a little every week and this is what JP does in the programs. He adds a little each week building you up to reach the goals you set forth at the beginning of the program.

As far as the lifting sessions go, that is all designed based around the goals you tell him you want to meet. The same goes for any conditioning work. the daily homework is pretty standard but again it is based somewhat off your goals.
LSU777

Postby sam » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:39 am

Ah sweet good info, cheers man!

Think I'm pretty good on programming myself, just need to sort the accountability part out so I stay consistent. Not very good at that bit. Maybe I should setup a bet with mates or something!

Does he talk about diet in Teampain emails?
sam

Postby LSU777 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:08 am

if you ask certain questions he will but he isnt going to setup a custom diet though.
LSU777

Return to The Team Room