Program advice? GreySkull LP

Talk amongst yourselves. The more "off topic" the better.

Program advice? GreySkull LP

Postby BuffDrinkLots » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:21 am

Fellow Villains:

What are your thoughts on the follow program?

Monday

2x5; 1x5+ Barbell Rows

2x5; 1x5+ Bench Press

2x5; 1x5+ Squats

Wednesday

2x5; 1x5+ Overhead Press

1x5 Deadlifts (with Power Cleans as warm up)

2x5; 1x5+ BB Curls

Friday

2x5; 1x5+ Yates Rows

2x5; 1x5+ Incline Press

2x5; 1x5+ Squats

Before I even touch a barbell, I usually jog/walk for a mile, then pair jump rope with some dynamic and static stretches.

I’m planning to do some light conditioning (running, biking or swimming) on Tuesday, Thursdays and the Weekends – whenever I can fit them in…
BuffDrinkLots

Re: Program advice? GreySkull LP

Postby Bruce » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:56 am

Not bad. I think rows are better with high reps, something like 2 x 8-12. Why no overhead pulls (chins, etc)?
Bruce

Postby BuffDrinkLots » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:06 am

Bruce wrote:Not bad. I think rows are better with high reps, something like 2 x 8-12. Why no overhead pulls (chins, etc)?

You're right about the rows - I'm going to make them 2 x 8. As for Chins - I plan on addi unweighted chins after each session
BuffDrinkLots

Postby Bruce » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Sounds like a solid plan then
Bruce

Postby BuffDrinkLots » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:21 pm

Actually I'm also interested to know if anyone uses Power Cleans as more than a deadlift warm up-meaning as a main movement? In GSLP second edition, its noted that Power Cleans should be done as singles - in the 5-6 range. Anyone run it like this?
BuffDrinkLots

Postby Briceps » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:20 am

BuffDrinkLots wrote:Actually I'm also interested to know if anyone uses Power Cleans as more than a deadlift warm up-meaning as a main movement? In GSLP second edition, its noted that Power Cleans should be done as singles - in the 5-6 range. Anyone run it like this?

I've definitely done PCs as a main movement, usually with heavy deads done at the end of the week. I will most likely do this again using the 70s big S&C template come fall after bike season is over and I transition into more of a pure strength phase. You could very easily do that template with 2 x 5, 5+ and 2 x 6-8 on the chins and dips, rows after deads at 2 x 6-8 as well.

http://70sbig.com/wp-content/uploads/fi ... P_v2.0.pdf

In the Texas Method e-book he prescribes starting at 5 x 3 on the power cleans, slowly adding weight, and transitioning to doubles with 5-10 sets, than doubles on the minute, than singles on the minute at 10-15 sets. Jim Steel has a couple good power clean programs as well that you could use the percentages from.

I had planned on alternating between deads one week, and 5 x 3 powercleans the next all summer while I'm biking more but the motivation to get into the gym has been pretty low and I've been a slacker.
Briceps

Return to The Team Room