How long on The Greyskull LP

Talk amongst yourselves. The more "off topic" the better.

Re: How long on The Greyskull LP

Postby Bruce » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:32 am

BuffDrinkLots wrote:Fellow Villians,

How long have you been running the LP?
What variation(s)?

And has anyone ever done another program (like 5/3/1) and then come back?

What kind of results?

Just courious - I just want to know how long I can expect to progress (even past the "novice" stage)

Thanks

I did 5/3/1 for a long time, pretty much 3 years it was the base of my programming and I made progress at first but stalled a lot and always at around the same weights. I recently switched back to a GSLP type setup but with a weekly progression on the 5,5,5+ and an intensity day. (I linked to the program in a thread right before I started) and I have made 5 rep PRs and 1 rep PRs after 10 or so weeks. And I would say my diet and recovery are maybe C+ at best. I think I incorrectly asssumed that I was too old and/or too advanced to keep making linear progress but really I needed to toughen up a little and manage recovery better.

I think the best choice of programming comes from your training goals. I think everyone should start with an LP like starting strength or GSLP. 5/3/1 is a good next step if you're going to do other sports along with your lifting, it'll keep your strength up and the slow progress will keep from eating into your other activities. If you're looking for maximal strength I'd milk the LP for every ounce then switch to a weekly LP style programming like Texas Method or HLM
Bruce

Postby SoldierSailorHybrid » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:47 pm

Difference in program effects?

The effects, from my perspective, of both GSLP and 5/3/1 are fairly similar. 5/3/1 is a progression that moves at a slower pace, but it is still linear, in a way. In almost two years of 5/3/1 I've only needed to reset once. Whereas for GSLP I had more resets at heavier loadings.

I wound up using a 5/3/1 variant that focused heavily (pun intended) on PR sets and heavy singles on a 3/5/1 approach, derived from 5/3/1 for Powerlifting.

I still retained the Total Work method calisthenics from GSLP when I switched to 5/3/1 and in fact have been putting some emphasis on it. Quite a few people I've encountered, to include an interviewer for a job I applied for, stated that I look like a 'fairly stout individual' after three years combined of GSLP (1 year) and 5/3/1 (two years). I am interested to see how the move back to GSLP will look and what results I have and will share them with the forum. Guess that means start another log on here.

I think the best choice of programming comes from your training goals. I think everyone should start with an LP like starting strength or GSLP. 5/3/1 is a good next step if you're going to do other sports along with your lifting, it'll keep your strength up and the slow progress will keep from eating into your other activities. If you're looking for maximal strength I'd milk the LP for every ounce then switch to a weekly LP style programming like Texas Method or HLM

Agreed. I was inspired to go for a third try at GSLP from Chapter 5 of the third edition which mentioned how to milk the GSLP for the longest time possible. The concept I've built is start with a 2x/week split (most practical for me I've found) and once I've done two resets on any lift, start rotating a variant of said lift in and go from there.
"Essayons - Let us try." -Motto, US Army Corps of Engineers

"So Others May Live." -Ethos of US Navy Search and Rescue Swimmer
SoldierSailorHybrid

Postby BuffDrinkLots » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:59 pm

sam wrote:Difference in program effects?

E.g. more hypertrophy in 531 because of BBB sets etc? More strength gains in GSLP because of more frequency etc?

I didn't do the BBB variation, so i can't speak for it. I ran a 5/3/1 full body type program -which was tailored to match my GSLP program ( basically the original GSLP) since my goal was strength with some hypertrophy. The "effects" of 5/3/1 were similar to my GS routine - I continued to get strong -- I broke some rep PRs and some 1 rep maxes(this is something i like with 5/3/1) and i got bigger(which is hard at 44 years old).

I like both - maybe GS a bit more because i feel it is more flexible and simple(I like just added weight to a bar rather than figuring out percentages). But if you commit to either, you will get stronger and bigger. No doubt!

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions....

Stay Villainous...
BuffDrinkLots

Postby sam » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:21 am

SoldierSailorHybrid wrote:

Agreed. I was inspired to go for a third try at GSLP from Chapter 5 of the third edition which mentioned how to milk the GSLP for the longest time possible. The concept I've built is start with a 2x/week split (most practical for me I've found) and once I've done two resets on any lift, start rotating a variant of said lift in and go from there.

This is exactly the method I've come up with recently! (The rotating in after 2 resets). My question I'm asking myself is whether to do this with the GSLP A/B setup or the Powerbuilding A/B setup.

Almost the same program but one is full body vs push/pull obviously. Any thoughts?
sam

Postby SoldierSailorHybrid » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:58 pm

sam wrote:This is exactly the method I've come up with recently! (The rotating in after 2 resets). My question I'm asking myself is whether to do this with the GSLP A/B setup or the Powerbuilding A/B setup.

Almost the same program but one is full body vs push/pull obviously. Any thoughts?

Due to my sometimes unpredictable schedule (active duty military service) I have found a 2x/week full body split optimal for my strength training with a barbell. look at The Salesman and Scientist examples in the latest edition of GSLP if you happen to own it...
"Essayons - Let us try." -Motto, US Army Corps of Engineers

"So Others May Live." -Ethos of US Navy Search and Rescue Swimmer
SoldierSailorHybrid

Previous

Return to The Team Room