How long on The Greyskull LP

Talk amongst yourselves. The more "off topic" the better.

How long on The Greyskull LP

Postby BuffDrinkLots » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:48 pm

Fellow Villians,

How long have you been running the LP?
What variation(s)?

And has anyone ever done another program (like 5/3/1) and then come back?

What kind of results?

Just courious - I just want to know how long I can expect to progress (even past the "novice" stage)

Thanks
BuffDrinkLots

Re: How long on The Greyskull LP

Postby Paddy Murphy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:52 am

Read my log in the beginner section.

Last year I ran it as a 52 year old man starting from nothing, missed very few workouts and made progress almost the entire year. Start low, like 20lbs less than you want to and then stick with it. time will fly and you'll reap the best that the novice effect has to offer!
Paddy Murphy

Postby SoldierSailorHybrid » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:17 pm

I have run GSLP twice in my life. First was for about six months from 2011-2012. Second time was from November 2014-November 2015. Due to mandatory unit physical training being part of my life in November 2015 I switched to Wendler 5/3/1 and have been running that ever since. The first time I did GSLP I ran the basic program with my unit's PT program layered atop it. The second time I ran it, I ran the Josh version for Olympic Weightlifting.

Having read the 3rd Edition of GSLP I plan to go back to GSLP this summer from 5/3/1 and see what my third attempt at the
program looks like as I return to the Mojave this summer for a little thing the Army calls PCS (Permanent Change of Station).

When it come to strength training programs I tend to look for commonalities, not differences. Let's take 5/3/1 and GSLP. What they have in common is the following:

1. Focus on basic, compound multijoint movements (bench, press, squat, deadlift, power clean)
2. Use of PR sets.
3. Assistance work and conditioning are smartly layered atop a solid baseline of barbell type work and customization is most certainly allowed and encouraged.

Results for me from my second go at GSLP are as follows:

1. Benching 200 lbs for 2x5 and one 6 rep set. Previously I could only do this weight for 4-5 doubles.
2. First Olympic Lifting Meet I competed in I got all six lifts as 'goes' (my weights weren't anything to write home about, but I got my goal of actually getting and the platform and moving iron with solid form).
3.In six months my clean and jerk went from 125 lbs to 157.5 lbs.
4. 3x5 on the squat at 250 lbs.
5. A woman I was seeing at the time had said, "You're getting built as fuck..."

5/3/1 results:

1. Benched my old max (220 lbs) twice for some heavy singles (I presently run a 5/3/1 variant that allows for heavy singles after the PR sets on the 3x3 and 5/3/1 weeks)
2. Power clean of 202.5 lbs.
3. My old boss asked did I need to get checked for steroids as a 5'6" male at 183 lbs.

As far as going from 5/3/1 to GSLP is concerned, I'll let everyone know when I roll back into it this summer.
"Essayons - Let us try." -Motto, US Army Corps of Engineers

"So Others May Live." -Ethos of US Navy Search and Rescue Swimmer
SoldierSailorHybrid

Postby BuffDrinkLots » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:20 am

Paddy Murphy wrote:Read my log in the beginner section.

Last year I ran it as a 52 year old man starting from nothing, missed very few workouts and made progress almost the entire year. Start low, like 20lbs less than you want to and then stick with it. time will fly and you'll reap the best that the novice effect has to offer!

Thanks
BuffDrinkLots

Postby BuffDrinkLots » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:37 am

SoldierSailorHybrid wrote:I have run GSLP twice in my life. First was for about six months from 2011-2012. Second time was from November 2014-November 2015. Due to mandatory unit physical training being part of my life in November 2015 I switched to Wendler 5/3/1 and have been running that ever since. The first time I did GSLP I ran the basic program with my unit's PT program layered atop it. The second time I ran it, I ran the Josh version for Olympic Weightlifting.

Having read the 3rd Edition of GSLP I plan to go back to GSLP this summer from 5/3/1 and see what my third attempt at the
program looks like as I return to the Mojave this summer for a little thing the Army calls PCS (Permanent Change of Station).

When it come to strength training programs I tend to look for commonalities, not differences. Let's take 5/3/1 and GSLP. What they have in common is the following:

1. Focus on basic, compound multijoint movements (bench, press, squat, deadlift, power clean)
2. Use of PR sets.
3. Assistance work and conditioning are smartly layered atop a solid baseline of barbell type work and customization is most certainly allowed and encouraged.

Results for me from my second go at GSLP are as follows:

1. Benching 200 lbs for 2x5 and one 6 rep set. Previously I could only do this weight for 4-5 doubles.
2. First Olympic Lifting Meet I competed in I got all six lifts as 'goes' (my weights weren't anything to write home about, but I got my goal of actually getting and the platform and moving iron with solid form).
3.In six months my clean and jerk went from 125 lbs to 157.5 lbs.
4. 3x5 on the squat at 250 lbs.
5. A woman I was seeing at the time had said, "You're getting built as fuck..."

5/3/1 results:

1. Benched my old max (220 lbs) twice for some heavy singles (I presently run a 5/3/1 variant that allows for heavy singles after the PR sets on the 3x3 and 5/3/1 weeks)
2. Power clean of 202.5 lbs.
3. My old boss asked did I need to get checked for steroids as a 5'6" male at 183 lbs.

As far as going from 5/3/1 to GSLP is concerned, I'll let everyone know when I roll back into it this summer.

I agree, the two programs have similar philosophies and are compatible to some degree.

I know switching from GS to 5/3/1 is easier to manage - just find your 1RM, set your Training Max and move forward.
But what are your thoughts about switching back to GS from 5/3/1 - I realizing starting too light won't be an issue(because of the AMRAP sets) but do you have any concerns about starting too heavy? If you don't mind sharing, how do you think you'll address this?
BuffDrinkLots

Postby SoldierSailorHybrid » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:24 pm

I know switching from GS to 5/3/1 is easier to manage - just find your 1RM, set your Training Max and move forward.
But what are your thoughts about switching back to GS from 5/3/1 - I realizing starting too light won't be an issue(because of the AMRAP sets) but do you have any concerns about starting too heavy? If you don't mind sharing, how do you think you'll address this?

The short answer is I built a 2RM to 10RM calculator from Bodybuilding.com. It calculates the latter based on your 1RM. For the switch back to GS if you recall Jim Wendler has a simple formula for calculating 1RM based on PR set numbers. I simply plug that figure into the 2RM to 10RM calculator and use the 10RM number.

If you recall GSLP second and third editions state that one is to start with a weight one can do for eight to ten reps as loading. I'll use the 10RM figure, and if it seems a bit heavy based on my personal experience I'll subtract about five pounds then go from there.

A change I'll note is that I'll be back to doing power cleans for singles. For 5/3/1 I gave them the 5/3/1 treatment. But in this case I'll alternate between power snatch and power clean each week.
Last edited by SoldierSailorHybrid on Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Essayons - Let us try." -Motto, US Army Corps of Engineers

"So Others May Live." -Ethos of US Navy Search and Rescue Swimmer
SoldierSailorHybrid

Postby sam » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:11 am

Difference in program effects?

E.g. more hypertrophy in 531 because of BBB sets etc? More strength gains in GSLP because of more frequency etc?
sam

Postby sam » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:16 am

Also, while were comparing, what do you think would be the different effects between these 'splits':

GSLP A/B:

Chest / Shoulders
Biceps / Back 1
Legs / Back 2

Powerbuilding A/B:

Chest or Triceps / Biceps
Shoulders / Back 1
Legs / Back 2

So basically GSLP vs his Powerbuilding setup?

Seems like such a minor change but there must be different effects because of it. It's full body vs push pull so more recovery? More hypertrophy specific?
sam

Postby BuffDrinkLots » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:52 am

SoldierSailorHybrid wrote:
If you recall GSLP second and third editions state that one is to start with a weight one can do for eight to ten reps as loading. I'll use the 10RM figure, and if it seems a bit heavy based on my personal experience I'll subtract about five pounds then go from there.

A change I'll note is that I'll be back to doing powe cleans for singles. For 5/3/1 I gave them the 5/3/1 treatment. But in this case I'll alternate between power snatch and power clean each week.

Thanks. I just reread that section of the book(page 22; 2nd edition)... You're right, it would be best to follow those guidelines...
BuffDrinkLots

Postby Bruce » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:17 am

sam wrote:Also, while were comparing, what do you think would be the different effects between these 'splits':

GSLP A/B:

Chest / Shoulders
Biceps / Back 1
Legs / Back 2

Powerbuilding A/B:

Chest or Triceps / Biceps
Shoulders / Back 1
Legs / Back 2

So basically GSLP vs his Powerbuilding setup?

Seems like such a minor change but there must be different effects because of it. It's full body vs push pull so more recovery? More hypertrophy specific?

The GSLP is more strength based with some hypertrophy work. The powerbuilding setup is more balanced between strength and hypertrophy, leaning maybe a little more into hypertrophy work with some of the bodybuilding techniques (pre-exhaust, rest-pause, etc)
Bruce

Next

Return to The Team Room