Microloading

Talk amongst yourselves. The more "off topic" the better.

Microloading

Postby SoldierSailorHybrid » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:05 am

Having read Greyskull LP Version 3 I've decided to go back for another go at GSLP. I've been running a 2x/week Wendler 5/3/1 split (with 3x/week of hardstyle kettlebell work for my conditioning) since I switched from being on a general staff to being in an Engineer unit (it was easier to recover from compared to 2x5/1x5+). Very soon I will be moving to another unit where I'll have a bit more autonomy in my physical training and am considering using GSLP.

The unit I'm going to is one where I'd be going TDY for stints, very often to austere areas around the Pacific and hiking through jungles. Bodyweight work should sort things out there (per the Assistance Work article, thanks for posting it) but for my barbell work I've elected to go for another go at GSLP as it's linear strength progressions can help me build good strength between these TDY periods.

When I read the chapter on milking GSLP for as long as possible I also hit on microloading (using 1/4 lbs, 1/2 lbs, 3/4 lbs, and 1 lbs plates) in addition to the 1.25 lbs plates I already posses. I figured that if I get high reps (8 or more for upper body lifts and 10 plus for the squat or deadlift) I can make the traditional 1.25 lbs and 2.5 lbs jumps with the upper and lower body lifts. If I get the lower range (5-6 for all lifts) then I'd probably microload my way up.

Has anyone else tried GSLP with smaller plates?

For the curious my planned split is something like this:

Day 1:

Snatch or Clean and Jerk 5-6 singles
Bench 2x5/1x5+
Weighted Chins 2x6-8 or 5x5 or 5x3
Squat 2x5/1x5+
2 x KB Clean and Jerk 6-8 sets or a timed set (the latter determined by rolling two dice to do as many clean and jerks for that timeframe)

Day 2:

Push Press 2x5/1x5+ (I do this because I'm also using the RKC Rite of Passage's press ladders M/W/F)
Power Cleans (5-6 Singles, with 3 or so heavy reps)
Snatch Grip Deadlift 1x5+
Front Squats or 2xKB Clean and Jerk timed or 6-8 sets (alternate by week, so one week do front squats the next 2xKB Clean and Jerk)
"Essayons - Let us try." -Motto, US Army Corps of Engineers

"So Others May Live." -Ethos of US Navy Search and Rescue Swimmer
SoldierSailorHybrid

Re: Microloading

Postby Bruce » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:33 pm

If you're getting 8 or 10 reps on the third set you should be making 5 lb jumps on upper body and at least 5 lb jumps (sometimes 10 is appropriate on DL) on lower body lifts. I'd save micro loading for when you're barely squeaking out 3 sets of 5.

I guess using them won't hurt anything, but it'll just artificially slow you're potential progress. Knowing you're going to have periods where you won't be lifting for some period of time, wouldn't you want bigger numbers going into those times?
Bruce

Postby BuffDrinkLots » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:24 pm

I've successfully used micro plates to progress past prior rep maxes. I got a set that includes .5, .75, in addition to 1 and 1.5 lbs plates. I've used the .5 and .75 llb plates when i hit the 5 reps on the last set but felt the reps were a bit of a struggle. Only for the upperbody lifts, power cleans and front squats.. I don't recall using anything less than a 5lb jump with deads and back squats. If i am hitting solid 5+ reps on the last set, i progress normally(2.5 for upper; 5lb for lower).
BuffDrinkLots

Postby SoldierSailorHybrid » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks for the insights, guys. It seems most logical to microload only if it was especially hard to get 3x5 reps or even got a shaky 6 reps as a PR set.

I just ordered the microload set of plates and am eager to see how my third go at GSLP pans out.
"Essayons - Let us try." -Motto, US Army Corps of Engineers

"So Others May Live." -Ethos of US Navy Search and Rescue Swimmer
SoldierSailorHybrid

Return to The Team Room