What is Your Standard Image?

Talk amongst yourselves. The more "off topic" the better.

Re: What is Your Standard Image?

Postby Berserker » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:08 pm

I pick my dog up like that sometimes... he weighs 35kg so it's a good workout. His dog looks pretty chilled about it.

Who is it? Looks like a rugby player type build.
Berserker

Postby Briceps » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:22 pm

Justin Lascek, creator of 70's Big.

My dog gives up like that when picked up, but I definitely do not look that good haha.
Briceps

Postby Berserker » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:23 am

Haha, thanks man.
Berserker

Postby sam » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:44 am

I've hot an old man labrador, 13 going on 14. I'd be worried of breaking him. Can't be throwing him around like that, gotta respect my elders haha.

Yep rugby player type build I guess. My new goals at the moment seem to be related to that visual goal, getting a truck and having a couple of kids.

With that in mind I'm guessing lift, eat, run around a lot?
sam

Postby Berserker » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:47 am

That's pretty much the recipe for most goals:

Eat appropriately
Lift heavy weights
Do your conditioning
Berserker

Postby Bruce » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:21 pm

Used to love the 70s Big site. I think I discovered SV through it. I know Lascek and JP were (are?) friends. I think he was at WFAC when JP was still associated with Rippetoe. I can't even access the archives anymore. There was a lot of good info on there.

If I remember correctly (and I might not) Lascek's training history was Crossfit, then SS, then Texas Method, then general S and C, then competitive WL. He was one of the guys that promoted eating big and milking every ounce out of LP. That site promoted a lot of the same concepts as this one but was a little more science-y. Kind of the in-between point of SS and SV and really funny at times.

He wrote/contributed a lot to this book too:

https://www.amazon.com/Fit-Lon-Kilgore/ ... tin+lascek
Bruce

Postby Briceps » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:38 am

Bruce wrote:

Have you read that book? I have the 70s big LP and really liked it and I love the science-ey stuff (engineer). I've thought about picking up that book for a long time. JPs simple approach I know is super effective, but for someone like me I really appreciate Justin's approach.

The 70s big LP is very similar to the LP in that it promotes doing your big pressing and assistance pulling prior to squats or deads. He doesn't prescribe the typical 5+ reps but I follow him on instagram and he has been promoting doing more reps when you feel good. He also lays out a method of progressing from 3 x 5 to alternating top sets of 3 or 5 (similar to what JP prescribes for advanced lifters and 5/3/1). I dig his approach.
Briceps

Postby Briceps » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:53 am

Since a few others are throwing their standard images out there and I have some time to kill this morning I thought I'd throw mine out. I actually have a few just because there's a few guys I look up to as racers .

Jared Graves: 4x World Champ, Top 10 finishes in World Cup Downhill, National XC (Australia) Champ, Multiple Enduro World Series titles. Dude is a beast of a beast. I'm pretty sure he's like 5' tall (jokes but he is a bit on the short side) and weights 187 lbs from the last interview I read which seems to be all legs. In one of the Specialized training videos he said he can still jump in a rack and squat 405, after losing a lot of his strength from his 4X days.

Calf game strong!

Yoann Barelli: Lots of top 10 finishes on the EWS and easily the most aesthetically fit dude in mountain biking (IMO). This is exactly what I'd like to look like in the next few years.

Briceps

Postby Berserker » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:48 pm

This is the kind of look I'm going for. I need to build muscle and lose fat and in the usual quandary of what to do first but I'll get there!

Berserker

Postby Bruce » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:36 am

Briceps wrote:
Bruce wrote:

Have you read that book? I have the 70s big LP and really liked it and I love the science-ey stuff (engineer). I've thought about picking up that book for a long time. JPs simple approach I know is super effective, but for someone like me I really appreciate Justin's approach.

The 70s big LP is very similar to the LP in that it promotes doing your big pressing and assistance pulling prior to squats or deads. He doesn't prescribe the typical 5+ reps but I follow him on instagram and he has been promoting doing more reps when you feel good. He also lays out a method of progressing from 3 x 5 to alternating top sets of 3 or 5 (similar to what JP prescribes for advanced lifters and 5/3/1). I dig his approach.

I read the book a long time ago so I don't quite remember. I think it was a bit less technical than SS and PPST but with much of the same info, at least in the strength training portion. I'll dig it out and skim over it and let you know a little more
Bruce

PreviousNext

Return to The Team Room