Busy Lifestyle Training

Villainous veteran university strength coach

Moderators: AtlasDeadlifted, Steel

Busy Lifestyle Training

Postby parker3 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:54 pm

Steel:

I am on week 4 of the Busy Lifestyle Training series you have been posting to your blog, and I have a couple of questions:
1. Is the full cycle 8 weeks long (i.e. it will call for new max attempts for all lifts during week 8)?
2. I work out at home without access to dumbbells. Should I just substitute BB Push Press for the DB version in Week 5?

Thanks for posting the program!
parker3

Re: Busy Lifestyle Training

Postby Steel » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:24 pm

Hey Brother- should be 7 weeks long. Maxing next week. Yup, sub for dumbells with barbells. Let me know how it works out!
Steel

Postby parker3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Things were going great until this morning! On my last set of the 90% 7x2 deadlift workout (week 5), I felt something tear in my lower back. I let my form slip on the last rep and felt a rip in my lower back to the left of my spine as I was straining to make the lift. I felt no sharp pain just a definite tearing sensation.

I have been taking ibuprofen and have been icing today. Currently, the left side of my lower back is pretty sore. I only feel a twinge of pain every now and then when moving around. The pain is localized to the area of the injury.

Do you have any tips for rehabbing this injury? I plan on using the Starr Protocol (high reps and low weight with deadlifts progressively adding weight each day until full strength is regained) until it heals.

I can post a video of the set if it could help diagnose the problem. I was really looking forward to hitting some new maxes!
parker3

Postby Steel » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:20 pm

You need to work around it for a little bit, stay loose, dont stretch, start back easy, maybe for a week ot two before you hit it hard again...Starr stuff is fine, but I like multiple sets, low reps..so your form isnt compromised at all.
Steel

Postby parker3 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:48 pm

After a week of rehab, it is feeling much better.

I have been deadlifting and squatting daily and gradually increasing the weight.

I am planning on dropping my 1RMs 10% and starting the cycle over within the next two weeks. What do you think of that? I am thinking that will give it time to fully heal before I am hitting real PRs again.

Thanks.
parker3

Postby Steel » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:46 pm

glad you are feeling better!
10% sounds about right. keep me posted!
Steel

Postby Ricky » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Hey parker, hope the back is feeling better.

Jim I read up on one of the weeks. Is the ommission if bench work deluberate?

Richard
Ricky

Postby Steel » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:53 am

Yes, bench can be added in. You need a spot usually, so I wrote it so you wouldn't have to depend on anyone.
Steel

Postby Ricky » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:37 am

Thanks Jim, good thinking.

I think ill add it in after deads. Should I use the same percentages as press?

Jim iv been working through Navy seals training programme (its all pressups and pullups and I fancied adding it in). The first couple of weeks look like this:

Monday/Wednesday/Friday
Pressups 4x15
Pullups 3x3
Situps 3x20

Week 2
Monday/Wednesday/Friday
Pressups 5x20
Pullups 3x3
Situps 4x25

It increases to 6x30 pressups, 3x10 Pullups.

Would this be an acceptable add in, or too much work?

Thanks Jim

Richard
Ricky

Postby Steel » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:24 pm

Richard, just gauge it. If you feel like it is hurting your recovery back off. But its fine linear planning.

For the press, yes, multuple sets. And the cycle can be the same. Keep me posted
Steel

Next

Return to Q&A with Jim Steel