Big Bench Success

Villainous veteran university strength coach

Moderators: AtlasDeadlifted, Steel

Big Bench Success

Postby Jords » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:56 pm

Hey Jim,

Five weeks ago I started your “Big Bench” program as laid out on your blog. Today was the final day of the cycle and I maxed out, successfully setting a new 1 rep max of 260lbs, over 10lbs better than my previous best. And I did this while cutting calories and leaning out to 180lbs! I just want to thank you for providing this awesome approach and I would like to express how grateful I am. Thanks Jim!

Considering the fantastic success I had on this program, I would obviously like to run another cycle and just wanted to confirm with you that this would be ok? Is this the kind of thing you can run over and over again? Do you recommend taking a week off or a deload week between cycles? And obviously as one gets stronger, the 5% increase when maxing out could eventually be reduced slightly to keep PR’s coming?

Thanks again Jim!
Jords

Re: Big Bench Success

Postby Mitch » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:02 pm

Congratulations Jords, that really is an awesome result.

Looks like you just took your place in the percussion section of Jim Steel's orchestra of strength.
Eat Lean. Get Lean. Stay Lean. Live Lean.
Mitch

Postby Steel » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:26 am

Jords, Thanks for letting me know of your progress! That is freakin awesome- you made my day!
Steel

Postby Steel » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:27 am

Oh, and I would take 2 weeks off of it, and do some db stuff, incline etc, then bump up 5% and start over.
Steel

Postby Jords » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:11 am

Okay thanks a lot Jim!
Jords

Return to Q&A with Jim Steel