Log

Villainous veteran university strength coach

Moderators: AtlasDeadlifted, Steel

Re: Log

Postby Steel » Mon May 14, 2012 7:56 am

Saturday- squats- worked up to 525x2, then down to 405 5x2, slow as hell and pissed off
Sunday- in my basement- deads with hook grip, 315 10x5

music was Hank jr, Habits Old and New. Reminds me of 1986

And remember, your lats aint that big,...put your damn arms down. And true toughness is a soldier, not spiking your hair and acting like you are a badass because you wear a tight shirt. Really. You. Aint . That. Tough.
Steel

Postby rockyshaun » Mon May 14, 2012 9:48 am

Steel wrote:
And remember, your lats aint that big,...put your damn arms down. And true toughness is a soldier, not spiking your hair and acting like you are a badass because you wear a tight shirt. Really. You. Aint . That. Tough.

DARN IT! I thought this was working so well for me. Now what do I do?
rockyshaun

Postby stevea3 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:50 am

Steel - any update on your book? I've been eagerly awaiting it since February.
stevea3

Postby djl236 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:04 pm

Steel wrote:

Love it.
“Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts.” - Henry Rollins
djl236

Postby Steel » Mon May 14, 2012 4:51 pm

the book? well, it was delayed because of a lot of stuff and I cant seem to be satisfied with it. Im sorry, its coming.

Today- deadlifted 245x2 425x2 535x1 625x1 hook gripped, belt
rode bike 20m

http://basbarbell.blogspot.com/
Steel

Postby bernardhopkins » Wed May 16, 2012 5:34 am

Hi Jim,

On frequent lifting-what do you think of Steve Justa's singles program??

Singles Strategy No.1 — One Lift
1. Lift every day, seven days a week.
2. Use 70% to start out and, as you gain strength, keep using 70%
3. During Week One:
• Day 1 – Do three singles with one to two minutes rest in between
• Day 2 – Do five singles with one to two minutes rest in between
• Day 3 – Do seven singles with one to two minutes rest in between
• Day 4 – Do nine singles with one to two minutes rest in between
• Day 5 – Do 11 singles with one to two minutes rest in between
• Day 6 – Do 13 singles with one to two minutes rest in between
• Day 7 – Do 15 singles with one to two minutes rest in between
You have now made a complete cycly and are at Week 2, Day 1. Now you will add five or 10 lbs and go through the whole cycle again.
4. Once a month, test your max to make sure you are using weights in your weekly cycle that are 70% of your max. If your weekly cycle weight was more than 70%, take weight off and adjust. If your weekly cycle weight was under 70%, add weight and adjust. This monthly testing of your max will keep you in the target zone.
This workout must be done seven days a week, 365 days a year. Each week, you are building your endurance and toughening your tendons and ligaments by doing more and more work towards the end of each cycle, and then during the next week, or cycle as I call it, you're adding more weight and doing it all over again. The great thing about this type of training is that you will build great strength without really ever making yourself tired because the body is adjusting naturally and rhythmically.

Singles Workout Strategy No.2 — One Lift
1. Lift every other day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
2. Use weights that are 70% of your max.
3. Do 30 singles with between one and two minutes rest in between. When you reach a total of 30, you are done. Rest a day. Then add five lbs the next workout and do 30 singles with one to two minutes rest in between. Rest a day. Add five lbs every other day, resting one day in between, and so on and so forth.
4. Then once every two weeks, max outand adjust your weekly poundage to make sure you are using 70% of your max. If you're using under 70%, add weight and adjust. If you're using more than 70%, take weight off to adjust. This will keep you in the target zone.

Singles Workout Strategy No. 3 — Three Lifts, eg. squat, bench press and deadlift
1. Lift every day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
2. Do four singles in each lift with one to two minutes rest in between and go from one lift to the next quickly. Start with the squat, then go to the bench press, then go to the deadlift; use 70% of your max.
3. Add five lbs to your bench every three days; add 10 lbs to your squat and deadlift every four days.
4. Max out every three weeks in all three lifts. If using weights in excess of 70%, reduce weight to adjust. If using weights under 70%, add weight to adjust. This will keep you in your target zone. Concentrate on speed when performing the lifts during your daily workouts.

Singles Workout Strategy No.4 — Three Lifts eg. squat, bench and deadlift
1. Train every other day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
2. Train Bench Squat, Bench Deadlift, Bench Squat, Bench Deadlift, every other day, so on and so forth.
3. Do 25 singles with one or two minutes rest between each single in the deadlift and the squat and do 12 singles in the bench on each squat and deadlift day. For example:
Mon – squat 25 singles, bench 12 singles
Tues – off
Wed – deadlift 25 singles, bench 12 singles
Thurs – off
Fri – squat 25 singles, bench 12 singles
Sat – off
Sun – deadlift 25 singles, bench 12 singles
4. Every week add 20 lbs to your squat and deadlift and 10 lbs to your bench.
5. Every month, max out in each lift and if the poundages you're using in your weekly workouts are over 70%, decrease weight to adjust. If the weight is under 70%, add weight to your weekly workouts and adjust. This way you stay at your target weight of 70% max in workouts.

Singles Workout Strategy No.5 — 10 to 15 Lifts
1. Work two days on, one off, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Work all 10-15 lifts on each day.
2. Do two singles in each lift with one to two minutes rest in between each lift and for each single use 70% of your max.
3. Add five to 10 lbs to each lift every three days.
4. Every two weeks max out in every lift; adjust all weights in your daily workouts to 70% of your max in each lift. The day that you max will be your workout for that day.

Singles Workout Strategy No. 6 — 30 to 40 Lifts
1. Work every other day or once every three days depending on how you feel. Do all 30-40 lifts in one workout.
2. Do one single in each lift, moving from one lift to the next every two to three minutes. Use 70-85% of your max.
3. Add five to 10 lbs to each lift once a week.
4. Max out on all lifts once a month; then adjust all lifts to fit between 70 and 85% of your max on each lift. This will keep you in your target zone.

Also I will be getting some squat stands soon so I should be able to train more frequently at home. If I want to test my max I'll just go to the gym since I can get a spot and they have bumper plates. I have also found that squatting once a week is not enough-2-3 times is much better. I want to see how 4-5 times works.

Keep up the good work and keep the Rob Wagner stuff coming too!!
bernardhopkins

Postby Steel » Wed May 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Tuesday- deadlift- 245x2 335x2 425x2 515x1 605x1, 425x1 515x1
Wednesday- Close Grip Bench Press- 135x5 135x2 225x5 275x5 315x5 360x5
225 5x10, no pauses, touch and go on everything

Ez Curls, 3x10, cable curls 3x10
walked 20 minutes...

http://basbarbell.blogspot.com/ check out Rob Wagner's squat on the link...
Steel

Postby Steel » Thu May 17, 2012 6:21 pm

Bernard, all you can do is give it a shot. Why not try it?
Steel

Postby Steel » Fri May 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Nice and irritated today, which equalled a good training session
And after spending time with Rob Wagner, I began squatting faster like I used to do.
Squats- 135x10 225x5 315x5 405x5 460x11, then one set of pauses at 350x5
Wore sleeves for all sets, a belt on 460
Here is the 460:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zijzWhHOHo

Chinsx12
Lat Pulls to front 5x6
Walked 20 minutes

Music-was Terrorizer Doom CD
Steel

Postby syao » Sun May 20, 2012 9:11 am

Steel wrote:Nice and irritated today, which equalled a good training session
And after spending time with Rob Wagner, I began squatting faster like I used to do.
Squats- 135x10 225x5 315x5 405x5 460x11, then one set of pauses at 350x5
Wore sleeves for all sets, a belt on 460
Here is the 460:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zijzWhHOHo

Why the faster squat? 460 x 11 is pretty good. Just wondering why the change.

Chinsx12
Lat Pulls to front 5x6
Walked 20 minutes

Music-was Terrorizer Doom CD
syao

PreviousNext

Return to Q&A with Jim Steel