Re: AtlasDeadlifted Log

Postby AtlasDeadlifted » Wed May 30, 2012 10:03 pm

Wed 5/30
Decline BP 267.5x5x2, 10
Armblaster Curls EZ bar +65x11, x13
Hang Clean 225x1x10 EMOTM

50-40-30-20-10: Double Unders / Abmat Situps. 6:57

-I feel great. Really strong
-Hang Cleans felt easy. My thumbs are well-adjusted to hook gripping again and I'm getting great triple-extension as well as stomp/elbow-whip action. All reps were well struck, but there were 4-5 in particular where the weight felt like nothing.
-Nice improvement on the conditioning at the end there. Maybe still not great or even good, but I feel like sub-7 is at least respectable. Only missed 1 double-under, the 14th or 15th rep of the first set. I need to be a little bit more efficient and just get better endurance on those sit-ups. This is one of my favorite workouts to do right now, I may even get it in again later this week.
-Diet-wise, been eating a lot of food, and good food. Not necessarily a strict diet, but getting a ton of big whole-food meals in every day. Also added creatine back into the mix last week, which is at least some small part of why I'm feeling good.
AtlasDeadlifted

Postby AtlasDeadlifted » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:13 am

Fri 6/1
Press 172.5x5x3
Chins +24kg x7, +20kg x8
Front Squat 255x5x3
Kettlebell Swings 48kg x10x5 (1:00 rests)

-Kinda came back down to earth today. First two sets on the press were tough, was happy to get my 3x5 and move on. Similar attitude on the chins, get reps and move on.
-Front squat felt really good. Abs were very sore still from Wednesday's "Annie," definitely felt it coming out of the hole. My wrists are also adjusting to spending so much time in the rack position. I am keep all 4 fingers on the bar now, compared to only 3.
-One of my buddies and I got a 48kg bell for the gym. It's fucking awesome. Truly a game-changer, compared to 28kg was previously the heaviest we had at the gym.
AtlasDeadlifted

Postby AtlasDeadlifted » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:46 pm

Sat 6/2
Pullups 15-10-9-8-8

Sun 6/3
Pullups 15-10-9

-Got distracted and didn't get the last two sets in.

Mon 6/4
Decline BP 270x5x2, 9
Armblaster Curls +70x10, x11
Front Squat 260x5x3
KB Swing 48kgx12x5 (1:00 rest)

-Not a whole lot to say. A good day, to be sure, but nothing really notable.
-Front squats are starting to get real. Not "heavy" yet, but we're past the point of 'do 3 sets really quickly while still carrying on conversation'. Believe my PR is 295x3x3 or 275x5x3, whichever of those is more.
AtlasDeadlifted

Postby eleukoa » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:36 am

AtlasDeadlifted wrote:-One of my buddies and I got a 48kg bell for the gym. It's fucking awesome. Truly a game-changer, compared to 28kg was previously the heaviest we had at the gym.

Is there a Kb brand you can recommend? Thinking of expanding my Kb set.
eleukoa

Postby AtlasDeadlifted » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:10 am

Ele - we got the Ader kettlebell sold by Rogue. It seems to be very well made. I don't have a ton of experience with different brands and haven't really researched it, to be honest. Most of my experience is with the vinyl-dipped dogshit they have at commercial gyms.

Tue 6/5
Pullups 16-10-9-9-8
Overhead Squat practice

-Pullups still easy. The next progressions is 16-11-9-9-9, so i'll move on to that. Feels like I could probably get at least 20 on the first set
-Finally nailed a bunch of overhead squats, a few at 95# and one at 135#. Very happy about this.
AtlasDeadlifted

Postby AtlasDeadlifted » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:26 pm

Wed 6/6
Press 175x5x2, 6
Chins +24kg x9, x7
Hang Clean 230x1x10 EMOTM
TRX W's x3 sets

-Feeling good on the Press again. Only 6 reps, but I feel like there's still a lot of runway here before the reset
-Cleans were a bit off today. Didn't miss any reps, but overall they didn't feel great, excepting 1 or 2 reps.
AtlasDeadlifted

Postby AtlasDeadlifted » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:33 pm

Thu 6/7
Pullups 16-11-9-9-9

4 min 16kg KB snatch tabata
Rest 1 minute
4 min 16kg KB snatch tabata
Rest 1 minute
4 min double-under tabata

-Pullups still feeling good. All reps easy.
-Really nice conditioning session. Kept a full-sprint pace on all the snatches, double unders were absolutely brutal though. Maintained unbroken through the first 3 intervals, but after that it was a blood bath.
AtlasDeadlifted

Postby AtlasDeadlifted » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:28 pm

Fri 6/8
Decline BP 275x5x2, 9
Armblaster EZ +70x11, x12
Front Squat x4, x5, x6 (will explain below)
KB Swing 48kg x15x3

-Decline feeling good still.
-Was going for 3x5 on the front squats, but on the 5th rep of the first set, lost it awkwardly. Was wearing a tank top and was sweaty, and the bar slipped, I came up weird, and just threw the bar away. I figured I owed the iron gods that rep, so gave it back on the last set
-Bodyweight is in the 191-193 range. I am leaner than maybe I've ever been, noticeably leaner even then that last progress photo before the meet.
-Also ravenously hungry again. As an example, last night, within a few hours of going to bed I ate half a chicken and a side of macaroni, then was still hungry so I had a PB&J sandwich and a quart of milk. That didn't stop me from waking up at 3am starving. Drank a muscle milk and ate a 6oz cheeseburger at 3am. Was still incredibly hungry when I got up at 6am.
-I'm not 'bulking', and I'm definitely not 'cutting,' I'm just training as hard as I possibly can, and eating enough to keep training as hard as I possibly can.
AtlasDeadlifted

Postby AtlasDeadlifted » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Mon 6/11
Press 177.5x5x3
Chins +25kg x8x2
High-Bar Squat 315x5x3

50-40-30-20-10: D/Us, Abmat situps. 8:57

-On the 4th rep of the last set of press, tweaked my low neck / high back again. Same exact fucking thing I've had a few times before. Shoulder is pretty involved this time too - it's very stiff. Going to take some prescription anti-inflammatory tonight (Voltaren 100mg extended release, mexican generic version that I bought in the cancun airport), see if that helps. Also probably worth bringing the neck harness back once this heals - I've noticed that while using the neck harness consistently, I've never had this issue act up.
-Up until that, press was feeling good.
-Gonna run some high-bar squats for a while. Compared to the front squat, the HB squat does everything I need on the mobility front (recall I'm trying to squat with a more vertical torso, both for general mobility and for the purpose of overhead squatting BWx10), but lets me put more load on. These felt really good today. Nice and easy.
-Just wasn't having it today on the conditioning. The neck pain was definitely an issue coming up and down on the sit-ups, and in general, just a down day. Only silver lining is that all double-unders were unbroken.
AtlasDeadlifted

Postby AtlasDeadlifted » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:59 pm

Wed 6/13
Decline BP 277.5x5x2, 8
Armblaster EZ bar +70x12x2
Hang Clean 235x1x10 EMOTM

-Neck/shoulder feeling much better, still not 100%
-Decline felt pretty good
-Cleans did not go well at all. Hit every rep, but some were not clean. I did the USAW Level 1 Oly cert over the weekend, enjoyed it a lot, but I think some of the form fixes need time to take route. Also 235 without bumper plates is getting to be too much. Will need to travel for bumpers next week.
-Update on the OHS project: I have the mobility to get into a very good position now. Not perfect, but better than many. Still a little bit of posterior pelvic tilt at the bottom, but not too bad, especially relative to where we started. 95# for a few reps was pretty easy, so now it's just a question of getting this neck healthy, getting used to the technique, and continuing to improve mobility to get an even more vertical torso and less rounding at the bottom.

Thu 6/14
Pullups 16-11-9-9-9
15 48kg KB Swings, 1K row, 15 48kg KB Swings. 5:58

-Pullups going well. Will take the next progression next session.
-Conditioning was fine. I kept a hard but not brutal pace. Did the row in 4:10ish, despite stopping twice to fix my headphones that were tangling. Was keeping a 1:52-1:55 /500 pace for most of the row.
-Neck feels a lot better (hooray for mexican anti-inflammatories), but still not 100%. Press tomorrow may be a deload, but we'll see how the warmup goes.
AtlasDeadlifted

PreviousNext

Return to Villain Vet Logs