Mitch's Log

Been there done that

Mitch's Log

Postby Mitch » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi everyone,
Unfortunately about 4 years ago I gave up training. However thanks to a friend that also frequents this site, as well as the philosophy of Rippetoe and the great atmosphere and information on strenghvillain, I have a new found vigor for training.

I'm currently living in N.Z but just got back from a month in Aus where my mate gave me some tutelage in lifting and conditioning which was awesome. Since getting back I hastily joined the gym (got a great student deal) and kept up the program I was doing in Aus. I'm absolutely loving it and now more than ever I realise what a mistake it was to give up on training in the first place.

Height: 5'10
Weight: 74kg (162 lbs)

8/12/2010
Squats: 3x5 @ 85kg
Dead lift: Worked up to one set of 5 @ 60kg
Pull ups: 3x5, 1x3
Also did some crunches and 20 burpees
Last edited by Mitch on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eat Lean. Get Lean. Stay Lean. Live Lean.
Mitch

Re: Mitch's Log

Postby Jords » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:53 pm

Great to see you on SV man. I'll be reading your log everyday, I promise you that.

No press or bench in Wednesday's session? Because of the double up on Monday?

Did I already mention, don't forget to EAT! Talk soon.
Jords

Postby NathanDH » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:53 am

Good luck man. I will be keeping an eye on your log, maybe we can keep each other motivated.
NathanDH

Postby Mitch » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:18 pm

9/12/2010

As focused I have been on lifting, I found it slightly difficult to get down to the park and do some sprints. But once I was out there I was happy to be.

Sprinted the length of a cricket pitch (is it 25m?) 5 times back and forth. Minute rest then completed 2 more sets.
40m sprints x6 (walked back to start line as rest).
Ab work and push ups followed (slowly working towards the Villain Challenge.

10/12/2010

Squat: 90kg/198 lbs x 5 x 3. Increasing by 5kg's a session. Feels like I'm quite a bit away from failure after 5 reps. I'll keep increasing by 5 kg's until I start to slow up on the 5th rep considerably.

Press: 50kg x 2 x 1. When I failed after 2 reps, at first I thought I must of had more weight on there than I thought. Then I realised I should of listened to someone (Jordan) when they told me I wouldn't be able to add a great deal to the press each session. Subsequently, 40 x 5 x 1, 45 x 5 x 1, 45 x 5 x 1 (Think I'm gonna need those micro plates pretty soon).

...did some curls.

Burpees/Dumbell swing descending ladder from 10. On eight I felt like I wanted to give up then I remembered I don't want to train like a pussy. Didn't time myself but should remember to do so next time.

Pull ups: 5, 5, 5, 4 (Increasing slowly but surely).

Ab work.
Mitch

Mitch

Postby Jords » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:06 am

Nice work man. But those fractional plates are pretty essential for the press and bench. It's a shame your gym doesn't even have 1.25kg plates, because 2.5kg increases might be sustainable on the bench, if not the press, for the first few weeks.

Get those burpees into you. They fucking suck and that's how you know they're so good.
Jords

Postby Mitch » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:17 pm

Hey man, just discovered today that the gym does have a few 1.25kg plates. So I'm gonna stick to Rippetoe's suggestion of 2.5kg increments on bench and press. I should be good for that for a while as I'm only benching and pressing such small numbers at the moment. But yea, I wont hesitate to get the fractional plates when the time comes.
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:33 pm

13/12/2010

Squat: 95kg x 5, 100kg x 5, 100kg x 7.
This was a little bit out of whack and I have some mixed emotions about todays squat session. 95kg was my planned work set but due to the weekend break, maybe I was a little bit over zealous. In fairness though, I did the 95kg very comfortably and I was probably a little bit conservative with the weight I started at last week. I handled the 100kg well enough and did 7 reps of good form in the last set just to reiterate to myself that it wasn't too heavy. I probably should of just been more patient though and done the 100 on Wednesday. I know how important it is to stick to the program. No more unnecessary increases from now on.

Bench: 65kg x 5 , 65kg x 5, 65kg x 5.

Dead Lift: 80kg x 5.

Conditioning: Circuit. (Chins > Burpee > Sit Up > Push Up)
7 12 60 30
5 10 20 20
3 10 20 15
Mitch

Postby Jords » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:35 pm

Nice work on the squat man. It's very normal to be impatient and want to add an extra few kilos here and there instead of sticking with the prescribed increments, but eventually it catches up with you. Five kilos a week on the squat is no laughing matter, that shits going to add up very quickly.

That's good to hear about the 1.25kg plates and they will work nicely for your bench, but increasing your press by 2.5kg will cause you to stall sooner rather than later. I was thinking of maybe buying you those fractional plates for Christmas?
Jords

Postby Mitch » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:24 pm

15/12/2010

Had a pretty interrupted sleep after getting awoken a few times in the early hours of the morning and for the first time since I began training I probably didn't get enough sleep.

Squat: 105kg x 5, 105kg x 5, 105kg x 5. The squat is catching up to me. I've been adding 5kg per session and on Monday I got impatient and added 10kg so this session I felt it. I got the 3 sets out well but the 5th rep on second and third set really set a new precedent in terms of difficulty for me. I 'm not sure if I could of got any more reps out. On Friday I'm gonna increase by 2.5 kg.

Press: 47.5kg x 5, 47.5kg x 5, 47.5kg x 5.

Pull ups: 7, 5, 5 + 1.

Chins: 5, 3, 3.

After I finished my pull ups I went to do some curls. I didn't want to use the bar because there's not an ubundance of them in the gym I go to. There's some dumbells but the the next increment is 2kg increase and it was to heavy for me. So instead of curling the same amount I did last week, I decided to just do some chins. How does it fair doing both pull ups and chins in the one session? Is it all good?

Burpees, 20, 10, 10. I was fucked after the Burpees and was feeling tired during the sets. When I walked to my car it was about 30 degrees Celsius outside and I felt like I wanted to vomit.
Mitch

Postby Jords » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:38 pm

You've made some impressive gains on the squat in such a short period of time man, its awesome. You'll be squatting more than me soon enough. Just keep an eye on your form as the weight gets heavier. Might even be worthwhile filming your sets if possible.

Keep getting those burpees into you. They really are fucking dominant.
Jords

Next

Return to Villain Vet Logs