Stuffedsuperdud's Zombie Survival Training

Been there done that

Re: Stuffedsuperdud's Zombie Survival Training

Postby stuffedsuperdud » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:42 pm

10/13/2012
Strength

Snatch: up to 64kgx2x4 Missed 1 rep back Again snatches feeling really good. Big PRs in the horizon. I've sort of accepted that hitting 120kg by the end of the year wasn't going to happen, but I'm still shooting for at least 90kg and maybe getting up to something good enough for National level comp late next year.

C&J: up to to 80kgx2x4 ain't shit. THIS i might get to 120kg by end of year.

Deadlift: 352x5x1 PR

All while distracted the whole time by a former D1 sprinter smokeshow who just joined the gym to work on dat dere ass heh....
stuffedsuperdud

Postby stuffedsuperdud » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:59 am

10/15/2012
Strength

Shoulder kind of iffy but trained through:
(Snatch pull + hang snatch): 56kgx2x4
Snatch: 56kgx3x4

Lowered the weight and upped the volume. Technique felt a bit off due to soreness and shoulder problems and I missed a rep here and there but overall I will take it.

Bench press LOLWUT. I haven't benched since the dinosaurs roamed the earth. GSLP petered out at 235x5x3 about a year ago, and to save the stress on my shoulders I left it at that. Today though someone left 135 on the bar so I got under it and played a bit. Here's what I got:

135x8
185x5
205x1
225 FAIL

Quite a way off from my previous (which wasn't even good), so I think I'll start at 185 and LP and see if I can't get past my old sticking point.

Related to this: for those of you reading, I've been having a bit of a hard time since July with my own programming. LP sort of petered out for all my stuff except DL, and multiple resets weren't really helping me get past sticking points. I am running Steel's press program right now and realized how much fun ridiculous stuff like 12 sets of 2 are. So....I'll be LPing the bench and DL, but for every other movement, I'll probably play around with things other than 3x5. Will probably start with 5x3 for a while and maybe more varied stuff like 10x3 or 10-15x2 or even 15x1. When the bench and DL stop progressing workout to workout I'll switch over to that too. Will probably do a push-pull-squat + sn/cj 4-5x a week setup and basically be playing around at the gym. Don't get me wrong; this isn't some bro-style fuckarounditis. I'll still be tracking the lbs and shit will be getting heavier and heavier as inspired by Steel's programming; I'll just be a bit more flexible about the # of exercises I do and on what days I do them.
stuffedsuperdud

Postby stuffedsuperdud » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:26 am

10/15/2012
Strength

Not really any. I was going to do Steel 4-1 + squats in the AM and the below in the PM but failed and overslept. Got the PM part only.
Edit: In true awesome fashion, I missed yesterday because of incredible DOMS, which only worsened today, from the bench press. Never been so sore from fucking 185x5 and 205x1 before. That's what I get for benching once ever six months, I guess.

Conditioning
All with 70kg:
With 1 minute rest
(Clean pull + hang clean)x2x4

With 2 minutes rest
(Front squat x3 + jerk x3)x4
stuffedsuperdud

Postby stuffedsuperdud » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:07 am

10/18/2012
Strength
Snatches: See below

RDL up to 275x5x1
Mentally defeated after long day at work and skipped last two sets.

Conditiony stuff
Snatch: Up to 56kgx3x4
2 minutes between triples. This was more mentally taxing than anything else; 1-2 reps is fine for Sn/CJ but that 3rd rep is always way more technique-reliant than the other two due to fatigue. Really have to remember to sweep the bar into the power position or else it's a miss. # of snatches missed tonight = 0.
stuffedsuperdud

Postby stuffedsuperdud » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:12 pm

10/21/2012
Strength

N/A

(Insufficient) Conditioning
Was in a ridiculously fun 5K run today. I'm normally not much for yuppie-dominated fun runs, especially ones that attract CF douchebags, but this was an interesting one in that zombies actually attacked you as you made your way through the course. Well sort of. More like actors dressed up as zombie targeting a flag belt you wear. Boiled down to a big game of flag football. Sounds easy, right? Not quite.

As we all know, Rule #1 for zombie survival: CARDIO. That's not very specific though. I can dodge around a cluster of enemies or sprint a hundred meters no biggie. So can most people. This allowed me to get through the first few areas easily enough. What killed me though was were larger stretches of open area with stacked waves of zombies. I would get through the first herd only to be winded and not recover in time for the next wave, which would start walking toward you if it detected you were tired and trying to rest. I ended up dying at the hands of the last wave in one of these dangerous areas, when I just didn't have the lungs to effectively dodge duck dip dive dodge the onslaught.

Needlessly to say, this was quite embarrassing and will definitely guide my conditioning from here on out.
To do:
1. Actually do it. Doing some higher-speed stuff 2x a week or so isn't cutting it.
2. Running. Keeping it simple. Running is important in life so one must run. I've been in denial about it because I hate running, but there we go.
3. Higher intensity. I take breaks during what conditioning I do do, e.g. 1 minute rest with barbells. Will be stepping some of that stuff up.
stuffedsuperdud

Postby stuffedsuperdud » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:25 am

I was out of town on business for several days eating delicious Southern food by day and getting hammered by night: seems like every part of the former Confederate States of America really has the eating part figured out. Now that I am back though, training has been rough as I pay for my indescretion.

11/1/2012
Strength

Snatch
Up to 64kgx2x5

ATG Squat:
315x5
325x4
Extreme tightness in hamstrings ended this session prematurely. Feels bad.

11/3/2012
Strength

Was supposed to snatch, but during warmups, I tweaked a groin. Never had this happen before, hurts like a mother.
Switched to upper body only.

Press: Steel 4-1
Worked up to 155x2x10. TEN DOUBLES HAHA. The program called for 12 but I was smoked and had to push press the rest. Really worked the negative though.

Story of the fucking day, i.e. DON'T BE THIS GUY
No one in the gym today except for a ridiculously shitty vegan. like 5'6" 110lbs status. Never met him before but he started preaching. He eats vegetarian paleo, which eliminates like 90% of a vegetarian's calories, which partially explains the shitty body.

He then advocates to me the usual spiel:
1. Vegan shakes will make me way stronger than whatever I am doing now.
2. Gorillas are strong vegetarians (left out the part where they EAT 20 HOURS A DAY AND ARE AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SPECIES)
3. Humans can adapt a vegan diet, evolution be damned
His workout: Lightweight leg extensions, abs, 12.5lb biceps curls, treadmill

I guess I am getting wiser: once upon a time I would have argued. This time I just nodded and asked if he wanted to learn how to lift. He declined and we politely left it at that.
stuffedsuperdud

Postby stuffedsuperdud » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:54 am

11/7/2012
Snatch + hang snatch:
Up to 72kgx2.
On third shot, got the snatch, missed the hang snatch
On fourth shot, missed the snatch, took it again, missed again. All misses behind due to fatigue and loss of lat and erector tightness.

Clean + hang clean:
Up to 90kgx2

Press: Steel 4-2
Up to 170 for 6 singles. This is a weight PR. I've probably had it in the tank for a long time now, just never tried it.

11/8/2012
Clean pull + clean from the low blocks:
Up to 90kgx2, 100kgx1, 105kgx1
Haven't dropped under 105kg in a long long time. Felt really easy. I think I am good for 120kg or so come next PR day.

ATG Squat
335x3,3,1,0
FUCK ME. No idea why my squat is in the shitter lately. I think increased flexibility might be leading me to lose some tightness going into the hole and keeping me from bouncing out. Since I bought the book, I am going to run Steel's crazy squat program and see how it goes, starting as early as tomorrow if I am feeling okay after today.
stuffedsuperdud

Postby stuffedsuperdud » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:24 am

11/10/2012
Snatch and C&J
Bunch of triples at 40kg and 60kg respectively. Doesn't really count as lifting, but I am trying to correct a big bug I developed in hip-banging the bar. Felt tighter at the end.

11/11/2012
Jerks: Up to 90kgx1x3. I don't have jerk boxes at my gym so these weren't super fun (have to re-rack) but oh well.

ATG Squat
Steel 1-1:
275x10x4
Program called for 40 reps, done any way you can. I found that at 275, the rep that starts feeling a bit hard was #10, so a tidy 4x10 it was. I used a max of approximately 360lb, so it might be fun to see if I can't hit something like 380-400 before this is over.
stuffedsuperdud

Postby stuffedsuperdud » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:43 am

11/15/2012
Strength

Training's been inconsistent lately due to impossibly long hours at work. Came in today for a vanilla session, working up to heavy singles. Cleaned up my 2nd pull greatly, avoiding the hip bang that has plagued me from the beginning.

Snatch: 40kgx3, 45x2, 50x2, 55x2, 60x2, 65x1, 72x3, 75x1, 80x1 (match PR), 85x0 missed twice and cut it off
C&J: 60kgx3, 70x2, 80x2, 90x1, 95x1, 100 cleaned but missed the jerk, cut it off. Probably spent too much of myself on snatch, was feeling wobbly at the end of C&J

11/18/2012
Strength

Just the core lifts again, but with some extra flair.

Snatch + hang snatch: 40kg (1+1) x2, 50kg (1+1) x2, 60kg (1+1) x2, 65kg (1+1) x1, 72kg missed the snatch 2x , 72kg (1+1) x1,
Snatch: 75kgx1, 82kgx1 (PR)

Clean + hang clean: 60kg (1+1) x2, 70kg (1+1) x2, 80kg (1+1) x1, 90kg (1+1) x1
Clean: 95kgx1, 100kgx1, 110kgx1 (PR)

I'll call this day a win.
stuffedsuperdud

Postby stuffedsuperdud » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:12 am

11/21/2012
Strength

This was a bad day that left me pissed off.
Snatch: up to 75kg but couldn't put up 80kg to save my ass. Barbell threw me forward onto my hands and knees about five times.

C&J: Up to 95kgx2 and got called away from the gym to buy supplies for Thanksgiving. Was sucking hard anyway so whatever.

11/22/2012
Strong bulk. Ate about 10lbs in turkey and related items. Didn't lift any barbells.

11/23/2012
I can't pull anything because I burned my hand baking pies on Wednesday and the damn thing is blistered to smithereens, so just slow pushing it was.

Press
Steel 5-1: Up to 150lbx2x3. I had a funny misload initially that almost crushed me. Heh..

ATG squat
Steel 1-2: Up to 315x2x6. 315 is a very easy weight for me to double so I did these paused as recommended by Paul Carter of Lift Run Bang. No stretch reflex? Better drop your cocks and grab your socks, boys. Felt great. Let's see if 405x1 can happen before the year is out.
stuffedsuperdud

PreviousNext

Return to Villain Vet Logs