Moderators: AtlasDeadlifted, sapper09, Bony, Aliaga the Powerful, Danimal1991

Re: Viking Workouts

Postby The Dane » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:24 am

30-03-12: Sheaffer Method #26: 07.12-08.08
Decline Bench 232.5: 5, 5, 6
Curls DB 45: 12, 8
Deadlift: 395x4 <- "failure"
Pull-downs: "21"x8

Things went alright today, but I got scared on deads. My upper back was giving a lot, or at least it felt like it was. Bench uneventful as were curls.

I think I am pretty close to the end of the current method being useful. This is about where it stopped working last time, as well, and that was even at 10 lbs higher BW. I think I could eek more out of it, especially if I started gaining weight again. But a global reset - which would be what I did except on bench/press - might end up in me stalling in exactly the same place again. Also I'm not sure I can be bothered to eat that much.

I am going back to Denmark in July, so I have three months left of training over here. Training in Denmark will probably mean access to Olympic gym, easier weightgain etc. So I just need to tidy myself over for these three months.

I know that I want to keep my workouts to 1h, and do them in the AM still. I also know that OL-lifts wont happen. My goals are to get stronger, without necessarily having to add a lot of weight.

So those are the limitations. I've been playing around with the idea of a very basic 5x5 Starr template with rows, or trying out 5/3/1. Another idea might be to call John and have him set up some "Power Building" stuff for me. It would be great to throw some ideas around with him, as he's great at what I need which is more general "lifestyle"-sorta guidance, than specifics on programming the squat for competition, say. On the other hand my situation will change a lot in only 3 months, so maybe it would be better to wait.

I'm on vacation the next week, and for once won't bring my gym stuff, but in stead take some time completely off, and mull this over.

Any ideas for how to approach this 3 month period are very welcome.
The Dane

Postby hawk » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:53 am

Hey Dane,

if i were to do 5-3-1 for just 3 months i would really push the last set. This gives you a lot of room for error on your training max estimations. I am starting my 3rd cycle of 5-3-1 today and i have taken the final sets pretty easy. While i like this long term, in the short term i have lost some (of what little i have :lol: ) strength. Jord's 5-3-1 is a good example of pushing the reps pretty hard.
hawk

Postby The Dane » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:09 am

hawk wrote:Hey Dane,

if i were to do 5-3-1 for just 3 months i would really push the last set. This gives you a lot of room for error on your training max estimations. I am starting my 3rd cycle of 5-3-1 today and i have taken the final sets pretty easy. While i like this long term, in the short term i have lost some (of what little i have :lol: ) strength. Jord's 5-3-1 is a good example of pushing the reps pretty hard.

Thanks for the suggestion. Something along those lines was what I was thinking. However, I think I'd like to do 4 days/week if I did 5-3-1, which is what is holding me back currently.

I'm in talks with John over a consult next week, so maybe I'll end up with something completely different, but currently I'm thinking along some Starr-stuff, i.e. ramped sets and a H/L/M setup.
The Dane

Previous

Return to Villain Vet Logs