Postby Tribe » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:09 am

Thurs 7 Apr

Press @ 165: 5,5,7
Chins @ 37.5: 5
Chins @ 15: 10
Power Cleans: worked up to 205
Deads @ 390: 6
10min AMRAP Bear complex @ 135: 14

Press felt great. Chins feel like they are slowly backsliding. I haven't been doing my FM chins like I should, so that is probably why. Deads felt great in warmups and thought I was on my way to 8 again. I hit a wall at 5. Threw in the Bear for some conditioning.
Tribe

Re: Selection Prep Log

Postby Tribe » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Mon 11 Apr

FM Pushups, Chin Ladder, Fasted cardio, yadda

Bench @ 230: 5,5,6
Squat @ 225: 10, 8 ... called it quits

I'm really disappointed in myself, today. I shot myself in the foot by not eating nearly enough (quantity and quality) and lost a valuable training day. Bench felt like it was going to crush me. My glutes/hams completely turned off during the second set of squats, and I couldn't sit back into the squat or get hip drive out. I just about bailed on that last rep. Pitiful. But, a lesson has been learned -- the diet needs to be on point everyday, not just training days.
Tribe

Postby Tribe » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:51 am

Thurs 14 April

Press @ 167: 5,5,5
Chins @ 37.5: 5
Chins @ 15: 9
Deads @ 395: 4

Things felt much better today. My form was way off on deads. I did some mobility work to help get a better position to pull from. Hopefully, that fixes it.

Best of luck to everyone entering the Transformation Challenge. I'm not entering due to conflicting priorities, but I'm having a friendly contest with the fiancee. Hopefully, we'll see some PR's and better physiques come wedding time (June).
Tribe

Postby Tribe » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:00 am

Mon 18 Apr

FM Pushups

Bench @ 232: 5,5,9
Squat @ 310: 5,5,6
Seated Hammer Curls @ 50: 12,12
Finisher: 30 sec situps/30 sec high knees x5

Ate a lot this weekend, and rewatched Dave Tate's "...Bench" videos. Obviously, that worked out well! My belt has been getting looser and looser, and today was the first day that I noticed it on my squat numbers. My abs were killing me on the situps -- so it looks like they were doing more work than usual.

Diet was locked down today:

-5 eggs, 2 slices bacon, 2 pieces rice toast
-chicken breast, 1 cup rice
-" "
-protein shake
-PWO shake
-sirloin w/ fat trimmed, salad
-protein shake

Not a pure "cut" diet, but that isn't my main goal.
Tribe

Postby Tribe » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:11 pm

Tues 19 Apr

Didn't get a run in because I had to start moving out.

FM Pushups, chins

B: 5 eggs, 2 bacon, 2 slices rice toast, protein shake
S: protein shake
L: chicken, potato, collard greens
D: chiptole burrito bowl -- chicken, rice, salsa

Wed 20 Apr

Have an awards ceremony afterwork. That means free Fleming's. Surf and Turf, here I come.

FM Pushups, lots of mobility work

B: 5 eggs, 2 bacon, 2 slices rice toast, protein shake
S: chicken, rice
L: " "
D: Fleming's
Tribe

Postby Tribe » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:52 am

Thurs 21 Apr

FM Pushups

Press @ 167: 5,5,6
Chins @ 37.5: 6
Chins @ 15: 10
Deads @ 400: 6

Workout felt pretty good today. Got word on the drill dates, so I'll be changing things up.

B: eggs, bacon, rice toast
S: chicken, rice
L: chicken, rice
PWO: shake
D: steak, salad
Tribe

Postby Tribe » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:48 am

The weekend was a bit crazy. Spent all day Sat on the road. Sun and Mon I spent all day moving. Diet was what I could get at Wawa that remotely fit in with the diet.

Feels good to get back into a routine today. FM pushups through the day. Afternoon will be pull up ladder, bench, light squats, and 1.5mi run.

I'll be alternating running days and rucking days. I'll be doing morning dog walks with my ruck, as well (mostly to practice ruck/boot/sock/foot care methods per "Get Selected").
Tribe

Postby Tribe » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:44 am

Tue 26 Apr

Bench @ 235: 5,5,7
Squats @ 275: 2x6
Run: 1.5 miles @ ~7:00 min/mile pace (my legs felt like they were pumping concrete after moving shit up to the top level condo all weekend)

First workout in the new gym. I'm coming from a pretty solid powerlifting/bodybuilding gym to the neighborhood fitness center. Lots of big, fat weak bars, small diameter 45's, and retired military types and GS's mindlessly withering away on the ellipticals. I actually heard a trainer tell one of these guys that 75g of protein a day was WAY too much for him and in a few years he'll have to start getting dialysis for failing kidneys. If that's true, just about everyone in history is fucked. No wonder fitness in the military is so messed up. Also of note: a really nice women's Oly training bar was being used for the preacher curl bench. Huh?

Wed 27 Apr

Run: 3 mile jog, keeping HR around 155-160 (per "Selected")
Situps: 15x5 focusing on pacing and speed
Pullups: 5 x "ladders" w/ 2 "rungs"
Mobility: anterior hip, hip external rotation, t-spine/shoulder work

Everything felt super easy. Longest amount of time that I've run in awhile. Trying to stave off joint pain with mobilizing and Blue Heat. So far its working.
Tribe

Postby Tribe » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:58 am

I'm back. I had to put the strength stuff on hold for a few weeks before selection. I did pretty well, and they invited me back with the guidance to get over a 300 on the PT test. I also sucked ass on a smoke run they put us on, but I didn't quit. I did pretty well on the ruck (6 miles in a little under 1:20, I think).

Based on a few reccomendations, I linked up with some strength and conditioning coaches for the local college. Since they have experience with mid-distance runners I thought they would be a good resource for getting my times down. Additionally, since they will be hands-on, they can assess my weaknesses and tweak the program from there.

The weakest link they saw was a weak posterior chain (aside from running ability). So, the strength program will mostly be focused on that.

8 Jun 11

Low box squats, 185#: 3x5
Circuit A:
-Single leg squat w/ pause @ bottom: 3x3
-towel pullup: 4x5
-anti-rotation bands: 3x8
Circuit B:
-Weighted pushup w/ pause @ bottom, 45#: 3x3
-Weighted Glute-Ham bridge w/ pause @ top, 45#: 3x8
Conditioning:
-RDL, Row, goblet squat, curl & press, jumping jacks w/ 35# kbs 8x

Today was more of a familiarity session. I've never done box squats before, and getting the right movement pattern down was tough. The rest was pretty easy, so I'll ramp it up in the future. It's not really my style of training, but they get results, so I'll go with it.
Tribe

Postby americanviking74 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:10 pm

Tribe

Congrats on getting asked to go back again.
americanviking74

PreviousNext

Return to Villain Vet Logs