Selection Prep Log

Been there done that

Moderators: AtlasDeadlifted, sapper09, Bony, Aliaga the Powerful, Danimal1991

Selection Prep Log

Postby Tribe » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:58 am

This is a carry over from the thread in JP's Q&A of the same name. I'll basically be doing the Greyskull LP with two conditioning sessions, some PT-specific work, and a ruck/run day at the conclusion of each weekly microcycle. Here is the plan I'll be following:

Monday
• Bench/Press: 5/5/Max
• Squat: 5/5/Max
• Neck Harness: 4x25-50
• If bench day – Curls: 2x10-15 (rotate straight bar or hammer, both with Fat Gripz)
• If press day - Weighted chins: 5/5/Max
• A: Pushups: 3xMax
• B: Situps: 3x30

Tuesday
• 5 Mile Ruck (work to 50#) or 45 min run

Thursday
• Squat: 5/5/Max
• If bench day – Curls: 2x10-15 (rotate straight bar or hammer, both with Fat Gripz)
• Conditioning
If bench day – weighted conditioning
If press day – cardio based conditioning

Saturday
• Power Clean: 6x1
• Deadlift, alternate:
o 6x1 Speed Deadlifts @ 60% w/ 20 sec rest
o 1xMax
• Conditioning
If bench day – weighted conditioning
If press day – cardio based conditioning

I anticipate having to reset earlier and quicker than people that are doing the strict LP program, but I don't have that luxury. I guess I'll just have to stay on top of food, recovery, and mobility/stretching. If it gets to be too much and I'm stalling way to often I'll back off the conditioning.The conditioning will alternate between run work and strongman type conditioning circuits. The running stuff will likely switch between intervals and tempo runs.

The event I'm training for will likely happen in the April/May timeframe. 6 weeks prior I'll move to a sport specific trainup, and then 2 weeks prior I'll taper off. With that in mind I've got probably 14 weeks on this program. Here are the goals I'd like to reach by then, and my estiamted (conservative) maxes:

Goals:
Squat-350->405
Dead-465->495
Bench-260->315
Press-170->185
BW Chin-14->20
Weighted Chin-5@25#->5@45#
P Clean-185->225
2 min max pushups-?->100
2 min max situps-?->100
2 mile run-14:30->13:00
6 mile run-?->48:00
5 mile ruck w/ 50#-?->60 min

Later this afternoon is my first day, so I'll post my results/thoughts when I knock it out.
Tribe

Re: Selection Prep Log

Postby Tribe » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:30 am

Today something just felt off in the gym. I don't know what, but I found it tough to focus. I went in at a different time, in a different rack, on a new program. I did what I had to, but just didn't feel like I was as into it as I normally am.

Bench: 215 for 5/5/6
-I need to get used to more volume on the bench. First set felt light, but than I hit a wall at the end of the second set. Maybe rest a bit longer between the second and third set.

Squat: 285 for 5/5/8
-These felt easier than the bench. Getting the most out of the last set is a mind game.

Hammer curls: 2x15 @ 35
-First time that I've done curls in a long time so I had no idea for loading. This was way too easy. Felt gay at first, but I gave in.

Pushups: 35,15,10 w/ 30 sec rest
-I made sure that these were as perfect as I could possibly make them. Bench took it out of me. Normally I get to about 50 before form gets shaky. Perfect practice makes perfect.

No neck harness, yet. Should be coming in today.
Tribe

Postby drewcarroll2 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:54 am

Felt gay at first, but I gave in.

Word choice FAIL!!!!!

Good work man. Lifting on an "off" day is a bitch. A wise man once said that you get 1 lift day that makes you feel like an olympian, one lift day that is total shit, and the rest are whatever...or something like that. I'm not feeling super eloquent. Anyway, good work man.

Keep it up, I'm lurking.
"there is nothing like 80 mins of pure hatred followed by binge drinking"
- Jeremiah Zimmerman on rugby
drewcarroll2

Postby Tribe » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:22 am

LOL. Yeah that was the joke. There is so much homo-eroticism between the bros that goes on in the gym. There was a pair of dudes that were training for the team curling meet. One did standing hammer curls while the other stood behind him nuts-to-butts style and spotted. I guess it was a "you had to be there joke". The cool part was there was a dude training that night with close to a 800# pull.

Today was a 60 min casual ruck with 35-40#. I did about 4 miles. It felt easy. I plan on working my way up to 50# plus water before I start upping the speed. I've been reading Get Selected and a good point is to change one variable at a time to avoiding taking away from the training of other events.
Tribe

Postby drewcarroll2 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:13 am

800# pull? That would be something to see! Good work man, keep at it.

How is Get Selected? I read the reviews for it and it got like 5 stars. Thinking about picking it up. I need to get a damn ruck sack so I can start rucking. Where did you get yours? The Air Force doesn't give them out, lol. At least not to guys in my career field.
drewcarroll2

Postby MOA » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:07 pm

drewcarroll2 wrote:800# pull? That would be something to see! Good work man, keep at it.

How is Get Selected? I read the reviews for it and it got like 5 stars. Thinking about picking it up. I need to get a damn ruck sack so I can start rucking. Where did you get yours? The Air Force doesn't give them out, lol. At least not to guys in my career field.

Not to totally de-rail Tribe's log, but find out what ruck you're going to be using at Selection. Buy that ruck, either online or at a surplus store. If you're lucky, it will be a standard Large ALICE pack; if you're not, MOLLE. Learn how to size and fit it to your body, how to pack it evenly, and how to move quickly with it on your back. Learn how to put it on your back when it weighs quite a bit. Learn how to take it off quickly and quietly. Be advised, most Selection courses, to include SFAS, do not allow modifications of any type to the rucksack.

I still prefer the Large ALICE (though moddded extensively) as my operational rucksack, despite being issued sexier packs from Civilian companies (Mystery Ranch, Granite Gear, etc.).
Buy American
Buy Orbitron!
MOA

Postby drewcarroll2 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 am

MOA,

Thanks for the advice man. Is there a price range that is acceptable for the ALICE pack? I googled ruck sacks the other day and they were talking like 500 bucks for one.

Sorry tribe, not trying to trash your log!
drewcarroll2

Postby MOA » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:43 am

drewcarroll2 wrote:MOA,

Thanks for the advice man. Is there a price range that is acceptable for the ALICE pack? I googled ruck sacks the other day and they were talking like 500 bucks for one.

Sorry tribe, not trying to trash your log!

Try Googling "Large ALICE pack". You should end up spending around $40-60 for a ruck+frame.

The $500 packs are likely those sexy rucksacks I mentioned earlier. Some of them aren't bad, but you aren't going to use them at Selection, so don't use them in training. Once you learn the ins and outs of the standard ALICE pack, you won't need anything else.
Buy American
Buy Orbitron!
MOA

Postby Tribe » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:56 pm

Sat 9/13

Press 140: 5/5/9
Neck Harness: 25/25/25/25 @ 25#
Power Clean: 6 Singles @ 190
Speed Deads: 6 Singles @ 275 w/ 20 sec rest
Chin ups w/ 25#: 5/5/7
Conditioning: w/ partner - 15 sledge strikes R while partner performs 30" box jumps, switch, then perform sledge strikes on other side. Go through until each partner has done 75 strikes on each side
Pushups: 30,12,10 (performed slowly and with absolutely perfect form and stopped when I had to rest)

[quote]Not to totally de-rail Tribe's log, but find out what ruck you're going to be using at Selection. Buy that ruck, either online or at a surplus store. If you're lucky, it will be a standard Large ALICE pack; if you're not, MOLLE. Learn how to size and fit it to your body, how to pack it evenly, and how to move quickly with it on your back. Learn how to put it on your back when it weighs quite a bit. Learn how to take it off quickly and quietly. Be advised, most Selection courses, to include SFAS, do not allow modifications of any type to the rucksack.

I still prefer the Large ALICE (though moddded extensively) as my operational rucksack, despite being issued sexier packs from Civilian companies (Mystery Ranch, Granite Gear, etc.)./quote]

Good advice, so I won't consider it a derail. I've just been using a generic assault pack. I've heard that the MOLLE gear is what they are requiring for SFAS, now. I liked the standard ALICE, but have no experience with MOLLE. Do you have any advice on sizing, fitting, packing, and donning/removing? Thanks.
Tribe

Postby MOA » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:59 pm

Tribe,

I don't have any experience with MOLLE, either, as I've never used one. I'll check with a friend of mine who did Ranger school last year about the peculiarities of the MOLLE, but the same principles you'd use for an ALICE probably apply.
Buy American
Buy Orbitron!
MOA

Next

Return to Villain Vet Logs