MikeChops Training Log

New kids on the block

Moderators: AtlasDeadlifted, sapper09, Bony, Aliaga the Powerful, Danimal1991

Re: MikeChops Training Log

Postby Aliaga the Powerful » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:48 am

Great to see that you are working with your dad, I work with my dad too - had the same issues too at first with the depth. My dad also fights pushing his knees out to the side because he is tight. I had to learn to be patient and he had to learn how to take direction from his daughter :D I videotaped my dad in the beginning and asked John for advice on what I was looking at so I could cue him better.
Aliaga the Powerful

Postby MikeChops » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback Aliaga. Are the vids on YouTube?

This kind of reminds me of when I was first starting out (not that I'm very advanced) and certain cues felt extremely strange.

Tonight
Bench Press - 140 2x5, 1x12
Curls - 55 2x12
Squat - 175 2x5, 1x8. Bad job. I was so tight that I couldn't get depth on my empty bar warm-up sets. Then on amrap I was mentally defeated at 8 even though I had more in me. It's tough going when the set is coming to the last few reps, but I was defeated too easily this time around. I plan on hitting it hard Friday. Get tight, knees out, keep it fast.
MikeChops

Postby MikeChops » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:14 pm

Early workout

Press - 105 2x5, 1x8 It's time to move the rack forward. It seems that I keep tapping the light, and it takes some energy to reposition myself midway through the set. I think moving the rack a few inches forward will eliminate the problem.

Chins - BW 2x12,9 I definitely rested enough this time, so I must either be weaker on chins or heavier. I'll try to remember to weigh in tomorrow morning.

Deadlift - 195x10 Okay set. Bar contact with shins could improve. On my toes a little bit on latter reps.

Breakfast was really rushed today, so I'm surprised my energy level was fairly decent.
MikeChops

Postby MikeChops » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:12 pm

Learned a little about the squat tonight.

Bench Press - 150 2x5, 1x11 Forgot the belt on the last set.
Curls - 57.5 2x12 - Since these are going up, I suspect that my chins are stalling due to increased body weight. But I'm only up .6lbs this week, so I don't know if that's really enough to do it.
Squat - 180 2x5, 1x9 I had no choice but to narrow my stance slightly, but I think I found the sweet spot. Perhaps I had been drifting out wider without realizing it. I'm probably just a small amount narrower than my last trip to Greyskull. The hips were getting too tight, so a slight change was in order. Today was a big learning night for me. Not only must I keep my head up, but I am greatly helped by fixing my eyes on a specific spot on the wall and NOT looking away. I also focused on a really tight upper back.

It's been a mildly inconsistent week with various things, but okay overall.

I still plan on making a Spud neck harness review video. I'm pretty happy with it, and am doing 4x25 on my non-training days. 10lbs last time, but I'll probably add 2.5 until the reps fall shy of 25.
MikeChops

Postby MikeChops » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:08 pm

Press - 107.5 2x5, 1x8. Can't wait to move the rack forward, this should help a bit. Should've remembered pec dec on a few of the latter reps.
Squat - 185 2x5, 1x10. Gotta unrack the bar evenly. I was getting under it a bit off to the left, and that side felt a but heavier. I think in time I'll correct this. Doing it right makes a huge difference.
Chins - BW 2x10,6 I was mentally defeated on the second set. Maybe I didn't have 10 in me, but I should've had 7. Bodyweight is up a bit, but not this much. Off night. Although, I did Chins last today because my dad had already been waiting for me to finish pressing. Next time I'll chin in between his squat sets (and then squat last as the program is written).

Dad
Press 45 2x5, 1x12( I think). These were his best presses to date. A few sloppy ones, but overall he pressed it up pretty straight without it getting to far in front of him.
Squat - 45 3x5 form work. Better depth, but still needs work. Knees still coming forward. Spreading them should help greatly. We're also working on his tendency to unrack the bar before he sets up properly.
MikeChops

Postby MikeChops » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:27 pm

I was in a really bad mood today, but the work got in.

Bench Press - 155 2x5, 1x10
Curls - 60 2x12,10 (gotta hit 12,12 before I can move forward)
Deadlift - 205 1x10 (last two or so got a it sloppy)

My dad was having bench issues due to equipment. My bench is too high off the ground, and his feet don't reach. We tried plates, but it's kind of awkward for him. He floor pressed instead, but his elbows were doing strange things because they were hitting the floor.

He did pin pulls from the first pin, because I don't have bumpers and we're not ready for 135 yet.
MikeChops

Postby Aliaga the Powerful » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:13 pm

Good improv - I did not have bumpers either in the beginning for my dad, so I borrowed wooden bumpers from JP- sounds odd I know. They are the same height as 45's so he would be pulling from the proper height. I have no clue how to make them, but JP does :D
Attachments
IMG_0621 Side.JPG
Width Pic
IMG_0621 Side.JPG (23.63 KiB) Viewed 177 times
IMG_0620.jpg
Front View
IMG_0620.jpg (26.92 KiB) Viewed 177 times
Aliaga the Powerful

Postby MikeChops » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:11 pm

Hey thanks a ton for your post.

I think I'm going to give this method a try and will post back with the results. All I have is a standard saw (no band saw or jig saw) so I may ask someone at Lowes to make the cut for me.

I'll let you know how that goes.
MikeChops

Postby MikeChops » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:31 pm

Early workout tonight (around 4pm rather than 7).

Press - 110 2x5, 1x9
Chins - BW 2x12,8 Don't know what's going on with these. The first set was close to failure, so I'm not surprised that set two fell a few reps. I think I may stop a bit before failure on the first set next time (whatever that yields) and try to move forward. I want to add weight soon.
Squat - 190 2x5, 1x9

Since I was out at our normal training time, my dad skipped and plans to do it tomorrow.
MikeChops

Postby MikeChops » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:10 pm

Bench Press - 160 2x5, 1x10 - My right erector contracted really hard on the last rep. Hurt a bit after, but nothing to really complain about.
Curls - 60 2x12,
Squat - 195 2x5, 1x7 Last warmup set felt weird. Maybe my stance was off a little. I plan on fixing the rack position tomorrow or Wednesday.

Dad
Bench Press (feet up on a milk crate until I get a bench of proper height) 55 2x5, 1x11
Hammer Curls - 20 3x~5? Gotta remember to count next time
Squat - Form work with empty bar. Getting better. Knees out cue helps the falling forward, but still a few inches shy of depth.

I'm up to 20lbs for 20 reps on the neck harness. Actually, on my 4th set the other day I only got 18. I'm not allowed to move on to 22.5 until I nail all 25 reps.

I made the bumper plates as Aliaga suggested.

Ended up buying a jigsaw to make the circular cut. Not too hard, but my inexperience showed. I've never used a handheld jigsaw, and haven't used a stationary one since middle school shop class. It went okay. My lines were a bit faint, so I had to do some guesswork. They're sloppy and jagged (well, I sanded em down a bit), but they fit the bar and should function as intended. As an added bonus, I think this is just the thing to get my mom back into the deadlift.
MikeChops

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner Villain Logs