Dieter's Strength Trek

New kids on the block

Moderators: AtlasDeadlifted, sapper09, Bony, Aliaga the Powerful, Danimal1991

Re: Dieter's Strength Trek

Postby Dieter » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:56 pm

3/8/12
Decline Bench: 212.5x2x5,8 (chest stretch)
Pullover Machine: 225x9,3,2 rest pause (back stretch)
Nautilus Preacher Curl: 125x13,10 (Bicep stretch)
Squats: 225x5x6 15 deep breaths between sets (quad stretch)
Neck Harness: 50x60,50

Shoulder felt a little weird during the warm ups but good during work sets. Squats went well but I was still a little tight in the lower back at the end.

3/9/12
Seated Press: 135x2x5,9 (shoulder stretch)
Weighted Pullups: BW+30x4,3 (Back Stretch)
Power Cleans: 135,155,175,185
RDLs: 355x6 w/ straps

Shoulder still felt weird during workouts. It felt real solid during the work sets. Weighted pullups sucked again. I think I'm going to stick to the higher rep no weight pullups. I felt like the cleans were getting out in front of me a little and that probably has something to do with the flexibility in my ankle from the swelling from when I messed it up a week ago. Unfortunately I should have seen the signs that things weren't going right to day because during my workset of RDLs on the sixth rep I felt my back go. It's been pretty brutal the past few hours trying to make sure I'm keeping it stretched and warm.
Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning.
Thomas Jefferson
Dieter

Postby Dieter » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:48 pm

3/17/12
Decline Press: 185x2x8,10
Nautilus Preacher Curls: 125x10,8
Seated DB Press: 55x2x10
Nautilus Front Pulldowns: 90(each arm)x2x10
Dips: BWx2x15
Squats: Bar x3x10

I took the week off after hurting my back on Saturday last week. My back was pretty messed up. I was real stiff Sat, Sun. Monday I went to the Chiro. Tues was still stiff. Wednesday I had a constant aching in my left leg. The Chiro said it sounded like a nerve. I went back in got aligned and was still in serious pain. I went to sleep only to be awaken a couple hours later because of how bad the pain was. I got up and stretch for about 20 minutes and then was able to fall back asleep. I woke up the next morning and the aching was gone. I was just stiff now. I have been a little stiff since so I decided to do a scaled back full body workout today. Depending on how things feel tomorrow I might start easing back into things on Monday. If its not so good I will probably repeat what I did today. Decline felt solid on the last set. I still have a little soreness in my shoulder but it feels good during work sets. The chiropractor has a tough time getting my shoulder to release and trying twice this week might be why the shoulder is a little tender. Nautilus curls were tough today. Seated presses were alright. I was able to rep the weight pretty cleanly. I did the nautilus front pull down because the pulldown machine was being used. I really wanted to V handle it up today. Oh well maybe next time. Dips felt good. It's been a while since I did them and they feel easier, so I must be getting stronger. I only wanted to touch some squats to see how the back would feel. It felt ok but these felt much harder than they should. It was only a bar. I think it has to do with the tightness and the fact that I haven't hardly squatted down at all this week.
Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning.
Thomas Jefferson
Dieter

Postby Dieter » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:31 am

3/19/12
Went to a new crossfit gym today that opened up close by. I did there baseline workout and took it kinda easy because of the stiffness I still have in my back. It was a pretty good little run.

Wod:
200m Run
20 Push ups
20 Sit ups
200m Run
20 KB Swings
20 Squats
2 rounds: 13:49

I could have gotten a better time but I wanted to stay close to a lady friend who I convinced to give crossfit a try. She is not very sporty so I wanted to stay pretty close so she wouldn't get bored and not want to come back.
Thomas Jefferson
Dieter

Postby Dieter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:57 pm

3/22/12
Decline Bench: 205x5, 215x4, 225x3
Incline DB Press: 85x6, 75x10
Hammer Curls: 45x2x10
Squats: 135x3x6

Music: Murs & 9th Wonder - Fornever

Still trying to work my way back into things. I wasn't feeling to hyped walking in and have been having trouble focusing at the beginning of the workout. I might have to throw my kettlebell swings back in to get my blood pumping. As I started on cheat I wasn't really feeling it ap I decided to just do one heavier set than I would normally rep. I was feeling better when I went over to incline DB press. Hammers were tough but I gotta get the guns firing. Added some weights to squats to test how the back felt and it passed the test. Next session will be 185 hopefully. I'll probably make some big jumps on my way back to my old work sets.
Thomas Jefferson
Dieter

Postby Dieter » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:20 am

3/26/12
Went to the Crossfit gym again. I got a good deal, 1 month for $30, so I figure I'll pepper it in my training for this month. Might be a good kick off if there is another transformation challenge starting again next month.

Of course they did a chipper the first workout I do. Long crossfit workouts gvw to be one of my least favorite things on the planet.

Wod:
800 m Run
300 jump rope
50 Box Jumps 24"
40 Burpees
30 Pullups
20 Hang Snatch 75lbs
10 T2B
5 Handstand Pushups
3 ring pullups/3 Ring Dips (sub for muscle up)
Thomas Jefferson
Dieter

Postby Dieter » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:09 pm

3/30/12
Decline Bench: 205x5, 215x5, 225x4
Incline DB Press: 90x6, 80x6
Squats: 225x5 no belt

3/31/12
Clean n Jerk: 135,145,155,165,175,185 (big press out) PR overhead

4/2/12
Barbell Complex:
115x
Power Clean
Front Squat
Push Press
Back Squat
Rack Jerk
X7
2rnds

Conditioning:
20 min Amrap
6 Pull / 6 Dips
4 Handstand Pushups
8 KB Swings 53 lbs
7 rnds + 6
Thomas Jefferson
Dieter

Postby Dieter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:53 am

4/5/12
Decline Bench: 205x5, 215x5, 225x5
Nautilus Preacher Curl: 110x2x12
Squats: 245x5

About 45 minutes of fun on the rock wall

Not a bad day in the gym today. I was really tired after work today, but decided I would push it some. I am still in cruise mode some. I'm not really hitting the program to much right now since I'm lifting, doing crossfit once or twice a week, climbing and playing kickball on top of 50 hrs a week at work. I have been making progress in my lifting even without the focus I usually have. I have gotten one more rep at 225 on bench each time. I think I could have slept through the curls today. They are just so mindless for me. I used to get so excited about arm days when I was younger but it just no longed excites me. I'll figure it out one day. I might have to focus a day on some arm work to try and regain some of the intensity. I'm still slowly working my way back up on squats since the back injury. 245 with no belt was a cake walk today. I miss having the heavy weights but I am just going to ease these back up. Rock wall was fun as usual. I think I'm going to keep using these as some extra conditioning work.
Thomas Jefferson
Dieter

Postby Dieter » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:32 am

4/7/12
Seated Press: 135x2x5,7
Deadlift: 225x5

30 minutes or so climbing wall

Shoulder was a little touchy during warmups and felt a little off during the worksets too but I'm pretty pleased with the 7 because I'm really too sure how long it's been since I did this last. Probably the day I hurt my back. The deadlift went well. I think I'm going to work my way back up with these slowly and forget about the RDLs for a little while. It was about time for me to convert back over anyways. If things go right I might do a meet in June but it would be strictly for fun and to see how I lift under pressure, which is usually when I'm at my best in sports and life in general. Climbing is still a fun way to get some extra back and grip work. I think by the time I start putting some real weight back on the bart grip should be pretty solid.
Thomas Jefferson
Dieter

Postby Dieter » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:18 am

4/9/12
Decline Bench: 205x2x5,8
Incline DB Press: 90x6, 80x8
Squat: 255x5 no belt

Music: I now know why I wasn't getting hyped up during my recent workouts. All it took was a little Pantera - Walk to get my back on top of the intensity level.

It felt good to have a full day in the gym without time constraints or anything else occupying my mind. I got in was slow through the warmup, decided to switch up the music selection and things started flowing well again. Not too happy with the 8 on decline but I'd have to look it might be around where it was last time I did that weight. I was real happy with the incline. The second I grabbed the 90's they just felt light in my hands. I made those 6 reps my bitch for sure. Still taking it slow on the squats but I have noticed both with my squat and deadlift I am locking my back in place a lot better. I'm sure it's naturally trying to protect from another injury but it feels much more solid at the same time. The injury may have been a blessing in disguise.
Thomas Jefferson
Dieter

Postby Dieter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:16 pm

4/10/12

I spent about an hour and a half at the climbing gym. It was a humbling experience. I guess my skills are perfectly good and well on my local gym wall but when I take those same skills to a place geared towards improving climbers my skills are mediocre at best. I guess I will have to spend the extra few minutes to get to the legit gym a little more often if I want to get good at this. It's kinda embarrassing walking into a room full of climbers and you can barely finish one maybe two routes. Oh well, persistence is key, I guess this is also why it appeals to me so much. It's not often that I walk up to a sport and be somewhat competitive at. This would definitely be one of those occasions. I can guarantee I will be focussing on this a lot more, plus it is fun as shit. Oh and mark my words I will one day climb a big ass wall.
Thomas Jefferson
Dieter

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner Villain Logs