Labourer Lifts

New kids on the block

Re: Labourer Lifts

Postby Berserker » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:33 pm

I'd say you just need to commit to what days you can train, and pick a plan to follow that fits. Follow the program without deviating for 12 weeks and evaluate your progress. Consistency will pay off, but you need to stay focussed,

GSLP, 5/3/1, Tactical Barbell, Starting strength, Bill Starr 5x5 etc. etc. there are tons of proven programs out there... pick one and stick to it!

All the best for the new year!
Berserker

Postby sam » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Did something stupid today.

Instead of lifting I just did some bodyweight stuff. I had a bit of a training wobble based on the fact that really the future is uncertain.. What's the point in lifting now if in the future I might not have time or space for it? I know for a fact that next summer my home gym will be out of bounds for 6 months at least, so what to do then? What about when I have kids?

In hindsight now, I need to lift as it's good for me. It's good for my body but also good for my mind. Hopefully I can lift tomorrow somewhen. Fool!
sam

Postby Berserker » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:49 pm

You think too much! There will always be time to train, that's a weak excuse that weak people make. I'm sure there's a gym nearby that you can use when your home gym is out of action... start looking now and have a plan ready for when it happens. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

At least you realised your mistake today ;)
Berserker

Postby sam » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:45 pm

I know!

It'll all sort itself out haha
sam

Postby sam » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:03 pm

Lets do this.

Ive edited my scaffolding power rack now so that I can do normal grip bench!

And I know what I can do when it comes to my time without a rack.My inspiration for this is from Wendlers 'no rack no problem' article.

I will shift my programming.

Squats can be done for higher reps as front or back squats, cleaned from the ground. Or replaced with heavy cleans etc.

Bench can be subbed for weighted pushups, or changed entirely to barbell rows, focussing on the back more.

Alternatively either of those two could be subbed for more curls, hitting my arms a bit more and getting some bigger guns haha.

Press will be cleaned up and deadlift remains the same.

Any suggestions off those options? What would JP suggest?

Today:

Dead 120kg - 7
Press 42.5kg - 5 5 10
Chins - 8

Heavy deads werent great on the blistered fingers (soft from xmas hols). Still good reps, though not a rep record.

Happy with press. Lifts will get back up there soon.

My life is becoming under control again. My goals for 2017 are set. I'll achieve them. Almost hit all my goals last year, just slipped up on lifting a bit.
sam

Postby sam » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:14 pm

Lifts will get back up there eventually. For now...

Squat 102.5kg - 5 5 7
Bench 62.5kg - 5 5 9
Curl 21.25kg - 17 12 15

Again could have got more on squat maybe. But I like playing it a bit safe because of work mostly. And this way I'll have a bit more energy for benching.

Bench form needs work after all those months using CGBP. Arms not feeling hugely strong.

When is strengthvillain gunna get lively again?? Seems to be dying at the mo..
sam

Postby Berserker » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:33 am

Damn, you dropped nearly 20% off your squats, you were making good progress.

Agreed, this forum is pretty much dead now. It's obvious JP doesn't give a shit, he hasn't posted since May. You only ever hear anything from him when he's trying to sell places on his courses. I bet there's loads of new people that have tried to join the forum but are waiting for JP to authorise their posts.

It's a shame because the handful of guys that post here are great but 5 people don't really make for much of a community.
Berserker

Postby sam » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:14 am

Yeah man it sucks. But I dont see many people doing greyskull lp on other forums either.

Maybe we need to set up another pseudo greyskull forum haha!

And yeah I know I've dropped everything back a bit. The chirstmas hols combined with that rough flu combined with starting back at work a bit deconditioned from it made me go on the side of caution.

I'll get back up there though. I will make progress again. I've never had a 130kg squat since I was like 18 and never squatted more than that, so thats one if my lifting goals this year! Pathetic but better than nothing!

Also to get my bench to a decent weight. Felt doms in pecs today a bit so must be doing it right haha.
sam

Postby sam » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:58 pm

Shoulders fatigued from work today, also have a bangin headache...

Dead 122.5kg (9) - 9
Press 45kg (8) - 5 5 7
Chins (13) - 11 9 4

Figures in brackets are reps to beat, as far as I can remember.

Pulled 9 reps, same as rep record last time. Swear I had more in me but somehow lost 'it'.

Got just 7 presses, as I got stuck in the rack position. Sucks.

Felt very weak going into chins..
sam

Postby sam » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Trying the greyskull lift order today, after reading the posts in the group forum...

Bench 63.5kg (10?) - 5 5 10?
Curls 22.5kg (15?) - 17 13 12
Squat 105kg (5?) - 5 5 8

May have been 10 or 11 on the bench.

The pumps and hypertrophy I'm getting from 3 sets of curls to failure is definitely making me want to take that approach to bench too. 3 x AMRAP pushes your muscles a lot.

Squat is quite hard to get set for with pumped up arms though!

Could have got more than 8.. dang should have pushed a bit but nevermind I got distracted.

All in all not too bad using the GSLP order of lifts, though this may be because the lifts are still light-ish..? Think I may stick with lower body first...
sam

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner Villain Logs