TallAndThin's Log

New kids on the block

Re: TallAndThin's Log

Postby Berserker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:50 am

You say squats and OHP are really heavy, yet I'm seeing sets of 10-15 reps. If you're hitting 15 reps on the last set you're not lifting heavy... unless I'm mis-reading it of course.

Personally I think you're doing too much volume... you're lifting 5 days a week and doing cardio 4 days. I'd look at doing the GSLP and concentrating on getting stronger every session. Less is more if you're putting in max effort. Start adding in more volume in a few months when you've built a solid foundation.

I assume you're trying to gain weight? 3300 cals isn't that much, especially with the amount of volume you do. If you're not gaining weight, you need to eat more.

Summary: Lift heavier, lift less often, eat more.
Berserker

Postby Paddy Murphy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:52 am

I agree with Berserker. You're still in your novice gain period so give the GSLP time to work. Cut back on what your doing & how many days you're doing it and most importantly eat like a frigging pig. If you're banging out 3 work sets and then AMRAP'ing double digits then you your body is still learning what it's capable of doing with what it already has. Muscle growth comes after you've exhausted your novice gains and begins to adapt to the stress you are providing it.

go to Starting Strength and read the famous "A Clarification" article by Rippitoe.

http://startingstrength.com/articles/cl ... ppetoe.pdf
Paddy Murphy

Postby TallAndThin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback - it is appreciated.

I will get back to the "core" lifts, decrease my cardio, and keep my food intake the same.

I have an office job where I sit all day so going to the gym is my one big time to get up and move. Over the years that movement has become more and more intense and I brought that same mentality (must do more weight, more exercises, more sweat) every session or it's wasted. The thought of just taking a walk or doing a 10 minute greyskull conditioning session several days a week of my be-more-do-more mentality.

But like I said I'll refocus on the core of GLSP. Do you think the mass-gain with rotating lifts is a decent place for a beginner then? Its outlined in the 2nd edition GLSP book.
TallAndThin

Postby Berserker » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:51 am

Can't remember what the mass gain template is like, but any program where you focus on getting stronger on the big lifts will do the job nicely. Combine that with a decent surplus of calories and you will get bigger.

Personally I would say the standard GSLP with daily FM pushups and chin-ups, and a few days of cardio a week would be great, and also scratch your itch to workout more frequently.
Berserker

Postby sam » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:08 am

It's just like the vanilla GSLP but rotates in incline benching and front squats I think?

Mr. Tall you should probably just do what B says, he's strong and consistent and knows what he's doing!
sam

Postby Berserker » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:49 am

Cheers Sam... unfortunately I'm consistently injured at the moment though!
Berserker

Previous

Return to Beginner Villain Logs