Forging the Berserker

New kids on the block

Forging the Berserker

Postby Berserker » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:07 am

Hey guys,

I started using GSLP 3 weeks ago and loving it so far, so I thought it was time to start a log. I've used Stronglifts and Starting strength over the last few months and although I enjoyed them I didn't feel they were for me so I stuck to the usual bodybuilding style that I've always used (and seen no real results from). I discovered GSLP and bought the book and it instantly made sense to me.

I'm sticking to the basic plan, with a couple of plugins and really concentrating on getting stronger. I've been on a calorie deficit for 3 months now but I've been upping my weight every session on GSLP and every session is a PB now, so I can't wait to see what happens when I start eating more after my holiday in October!

I'm currently 88kg (194lbs) at around 15-17% body fat, down from 96kg (211lbs)... I want to get leaner before I start trying to gain weight again but I'm getting there. My basic routine is as follows:

Monday 1
Squat
Bench press
Bent over rows

Wednesday 1
Deadlift
Overhead press
Weighted chin-ups

Friday 1
Squat
Bench press
Bent over rows

Monday 2
Squat
Overhead press
Weighted chin-ups

Wednesday 2
Deadlift
Bench press
Bent over rows

Friday 2
Squat
Bench press
Weighted chin-ups

I'll add 1 or 2 other exercises depending on energy levels and time but these lifts will be my focus. I'll also be using the FM pushups and pullups and adding conditioning work.

I'm looking forward to logging my progress and joining in with the community here. I've been waiting a few weeks for my posts to get approved but hopefully you'll be able to see this soon and I can start updating.
Berserker

Re: Forging the Berserker

Postby Berserker » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:47 am

Hey guys,

I think I’m free to post at will now so time for an update. In the month or so since I’ve been following GSLP my lifts are progressing nicely, even though I’ve been on a caloric deficit for a couple of months:

Deadlift from 140kg (308lbs) to 165kg (363lbs)
Squat from 90kg (198lbs) to 115kg (253lbs)
Bench press from 80kg (176lbs) to 88.75kg (195lbs)
Overhead press from 50kg (110lbs) to 57.5kg (126.5lbs)

I had some shoulder issues last year so my pressing is weak and my squats were affected too, but my shoulders feel healthier and stronger now and will catch up soon I’m sure. I’ve upped the weight every session so far but will soon have to reset on OHP.

I’m just about to start a few weeks of the LCI method to try and shift the last of the flab; I will be using the GSLP method for the lifting part so I can hopefully keep making progress while leaning out. Then once I’m happy with my body fat level it’s time to start eating to gain muscle… I can’t wait!

I had to skip today’s workout (first time since I started GSLP) as I played flag football yesterday and everything hurts today, but I’m hoping to get my first LCI session in tomorrow. I’ll be sure to update here.
Berserker

Postby Berserker » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:02 am

Attempted my first LCI workout today, although I’m still sore all over from the flag football on Sunday (was great fun though!).

Lift
I reset my overhead press from 57.5kg to 52.5 but only managed 7 (did 6 first time round) reps on the last set as I felt pretty weak… I didn’t realise how much you use your core and leg muscles to press until they were all sore! I may go for 52.5 again next time when I’m a bit fresher, I’d like to be hitting at least 8 or 9 reps after a reset. Looking back I think I started too heavy on OHP as I’ve never managed more than 7 reps on the last set.

Circuit
50kg Barbell rows, 50kg power cleans and BW chin-ups – 5 sets of 5. I don’t think I got the intensity right here… it was tough but I ended up resting between sets which I don’t think you’re supposed to do. I probably should have gone lighter and more reps. I need to come up with some ideas for circuits that make sense with my gym’s layout.

Interval
Tabata kettlebell swings – 24kg. Got the lungs working pretty hard and got a nice sweat on. Would have been a killer if I’d got the circuit part correct. Found a tabata metal song to put on my ipod which helped keep me going.

I’ll get the hang of it soon!
Berserker

Postby Berserker » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:34 pm

Bodyweight day today:

5 x 20 pushups
5 x 5 chin-ups
2 x 10 hanging leg raises
3 x 1 minute handstand hold (against a wall)
Berserker

Postby Berserker » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:57 am

Today's LCI workout:

Lift
Deadlift - Worked my way up to 170kg (374lbs) for 5 reps. Surprised I hit a new PR as I was still a bit sore but felt good after my warmup sets so decided to go for it.

Circuit x 5 sets
Barbell rows - 70kg (154lbs) x 8
Dumbbell clean and press - 22kg (48.4lbs) x 6
Goblet squat - 22kg (48.4lbs) x 8

I went a bit lighter than planned but glad I did... the circuit felt awesome this time, going lighter meant I could work a lot harder. I was pissing sweat and pretty gassed by the end.

Interval
4 x 250m sprint on the Concept 2 rower. This may have been a bad choice after deadlifts and rows so my back was a little sore toward the end. I was gasping for air and nearly puked so must have been doing it right! My fitness definitely needs some work but between the LCI method and burpee challenge attempts I'm pretty sure it'll improve quickly.
Berserker

Postby sam » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:17 pm

Good lifts man you're strong as fuck! Leaner than me too! Keep up the good work.

I can't wait to get my lifts back to where they were. Took a hit when I started my job 2 months ago.

I guess best advice is just stick with the program and keep necking myprotein?
sam

Postby Berserker » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:04 pm

Cheers mate, my strength has really come on in the last 6 months or so since I start using linear progression and making strength my main goal and not looks. I did a typical bro split for years and saw next to no progress, just like the guys I see in the gym now squatting in the smith machine and lifting the same weights they were 6 months ago! I just wish I'd started training this way 10-15 years ago... I'm 35 now and I've missed out on my prime but I'll reach my goals.

Just stick to a simple programme and keep upping the weight, eat enough food and it'll come to you. I log everything I eat in Myfitnesspal, it really helps to keep me on track and I make sure I get at least 200g of protein a day. I only have one or two shakes a day generally as I prefer real food... but then I spend £150 a week on food so it's not doable for everyone!
Berserker

Postby Berserker » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:54 am

This morning's session wasn't an LCI one as I wanted to get squats and bench in after missing Monday's session.

Bench press: 90kg (198lbs) x 5,5,5. Felt pretty good but was unable to do more on the last set so I dropped down to 60kg (132lbs) and cranked out 15 reps just because I felt like getting a good pump going.

Squats: 117.5kg (258.5) x 5,4,3. Squats sucked today! I don't know if it's from the extra workload on the LCI method, or still from the flag football game on Sunday but I felt weak as fuck and almost didn't get the third rep on the last set. I've been expecting to reset soon anyway so I may as well do it now and try to build back up for when I go back to GSLP in a few weeks.

I then just did a kettlebell circuit: 10 swings each arm followed by 10 snatches each arm x 4 sets.
Berserker

Postby sam » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:57 am

Ah ok cool. I'm sure JP would say you've never missed your 'prime', and that the only person in charge of your 'prime' is YOU.

You can create your own prime.

As for the lifting, thanks for the advice :)

I consider myself restarting strength training since I took a month of the barbell when I started my job, to help get adjusted. I had a 130kg deadlift then but now I'm down to just above half of that.

I will be sticking to the program, introducing 3-5 pro shakes a day depending on work, and see how that goes. Maybe introduce some runs next year if I enter a tough mudder :)
sam

Postby fatbellydog » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:12 am

Hi Berserker,

I have been using barbell, DB or KB complexes for the LCI, need to go lighter than you think you need. Set up the one weight and 10 reps moving through 5 to 6 exercise's

Cheers
fatbellydog

Next

Return to Beginner Villain Logs