Sam's Log - Moving Forward in Life

New kids on the block

Re: Sam's Log - Moving Forward in Life

Postby sam » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:46 am

So doctors have told me to get on a program with higher reps and less weight, to save my elbows a bit. It makes sense.

I need to train in a way that lets my tendons keep up for a while. And I also read it to mean 'you can train more for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy over strength now'.

But how to go about it.

The simplest idea I had was to switch to 3x10+ on the lifts. Thoughts? I'm pretty sure JP's advice would be this. Do the GSLP but stick in higher rep ranges.

I don't know whether to do 3x5+ but more like 5, 5, 10+ or go to 10, 10, 10+....
sam

Postby Bruce » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:11 am

Theres an 8/6/3 variant of 5/3/1 that might be useful.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/8-6-3 ... d-strength
Bruce

Postby sam » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:03 am

Ah thanks man, that is the kind of idea. I am quite keen to keep the GSLP setup too. What do you think of the 3x10+ idea? Any experience to share on that?

Thanks
sam

Postby Bruce » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:59 am

3x10 is a good rep scheme for assistance work and is pretty common in bodybuilding templates. But if you're gonna plug it in to the GSLP I think the weights you're gonna have to use to get 30+ reps might be too light to drive progress. Maybe go a little heavier for 1 all-out set of 8+.

My personal experience with tendinitis is to work around it. I was always under the impression that it was an overuse injury and generally will improve (not necessarily heal) if you rest it. When it flairs up for me (in elbows and/or forearms), I wrap it up tight and avoid movements that bother it, or change grips on some exercises (overhand pull-ups instead of chins, switch Over/under hands on deadlifts or go with trap bar, neutral grip on rows and pulldowns, etc
Bruce

Postby sam » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:17 pm

Deadlift 80kg - 16
Press 30kg - 10 10 13
Chins - 12 8

God my lifts are pathetic. Still happy with chin numbers though.

I was doing 3x10+ then read Bruce's comment and still thinking about it all. Fuck I hate tendonitis.

The doctors reckoned that the damage is done in the 'buildup' to the tendonitis itself. They said lifting heavy (for me) causes the inflammation and build up of pressure that then finds form in tendonitis. That the lifting heavy is creating it really.

I should be instead focussing on endurance etc apparently. Releasing stress on the joint and moving away from intensity and more towards higher reps. To strengthen the tendon, to go at a pace that lets the tendons keep up.

Is that bollocks? I've always just lifted heavy, trying to get my lifts stronger, and whenever it gets bad I just take some more rest time off. But the doctors were quite convincing. It kinda made sense, it just goes against my nature. I like intensity.

Maybe I should stick with the LP, jusr reset the upper lifts for now.

Cheers Bruce
sam

Postby Berserker » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:38 am

There's no point in changing to light weights on all your lifts because of tendonitis in one area. Which exercises cause you pain? I can't imagine squats or deadlifts cause you any elbow issues, so keep them heavy... doing 16 rep sets on deadlifts is pointless IMO.

As Bruce said, just work around the injury and take it steady on the exercises that cause you pain. Then find some exercises that strengthen the tendons that are inflamed. There is a lot of info on corrective exercises on the internet, you just have to try them and see what works for you.
Berserker

Postby sam » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:22 am

Both those lifts can cause pain but not as much.

Thanks guys.
sam

Postby BeardSkull13 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:35 am

"Releasing stress on the joint and moving away from intensity and more towards higher reps. To strengthen the tendon, to go at a pace that lets the tendons keep up.

Is that bollocks?"

I worked in Physical Therapy for almost 10 years I can tell you most doctors and PT's don't undestand these things as well as most think.

Let me ask you this: What difference does it make if you're using high reps or low reps if you're still training to or close to failure on your lifts? The intensity on rep 5 when you hit failure or rep 15 when you hit failure will be just as, if not more so, stressful on your joints. It seems to me instead of changing the reps, you might have to adjust intensity for a while.

I would recommend keeping the intensity lower for a bit, like a 6/10, never approach failure, leave 3-4 reps in the tank, and increase the volume for the time being. Always works for me. We have to cycle intensity to keep ourselves healthy.
BeardSkull13

Postby sam » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:40 am

Thats very useful thankyou.

I looked at these doctors and neither one of them looked like / talked like they knew lifting.

You say go lower on the intensity and up the volume? Does that not go against JP's line of thinking? I'm sure he would have said just reset and go from there.

I've been leaning towards possibly doing 531 with BBB. But what holds me back is that I only workout 2 - 3 x a week and feel I can still progress on full body at the moment.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
sam

Postby BeardSkull13 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:10 am

Yes that would go against JP's philosophy for a person not dealing with tendonitis. You can try resetting to a very non-challenging weight instead but I wouldn't push the rep max sets your situation. I was just suggesting temporarily lowering the instensity until your tendonitis subsides. I am a big fan of high intensity training but something that not many people talk about who train high intensity low volume is the fact that you can't train like that indefinitely. Dante Trudel (doggcrapp), one of JP's influences talks about having blasting phases where you push the intensity for 6 weeks or so and then a cruise phase where you back off the intensity and give your body and mind a break. That's all I was suggesting.

I'm not a huge fan of Wendler's 531 personally. When I ran it, I defrained and lost strength, I think due to a lack of frequency (1 lift a week, 9-15 or so reps a week). I think it works better for very strong people. But it might work for you!

The one thing I'd like to hear from JP is his thoughts on cycling intensity (3-6 weeks on/1 week off type protocol). Or just try resetting like you said but if youre pushing the rep max set, you might not be giving your issues a chance to heal.
BeardSkull13

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner Villain Logs