Sam's Log - Moving Forward in Life

New kids on the block

Sam's Log - Moving Forward in Life

Postby sam » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:30 am

Right so it's about time I started a log to keep myself accountable. I've never really been a member of a forum before, so my involvement with strengthvillain so far must mean something.

As I'm sure most people can guess, my name is Sam. I've made reference to my goals, current life and equipment/time availability in other posts, but I'll stick it all down here too:

Currently unemployed/self-employed without much work. Funds very limited. Limited access to a barbell. Uncertain schedule. Live on a farm in Somerset, UK. Currently interested in using bodyweight exercises primarily to build a more than solid baseline of strength and conditioning to base further training upon. Engaged to be married in July 2016 :)

Current goals for 2015:

. Start Strengthvillain log
. Build a home gym setup
. Achieve the bodyweight exercises in the 2015 Villain Challenge
. Get strong on the barbell lifts
. Write goals for 2016 - possibly include Fintan circuits

. Get a regular income via a full time/part time job
. Setup a fitness bootcamp business alongside this
. Setup another income off this - possibly direct selling (nutritional supplements), or merchandise like clothing etc

. Get my wedding 75% planned - with paid deposits etc
. Plan/book honeymoon things

So onto training.

Until I get a barbell/home gym setup I will be using strictly bodyweight exercises. I have been tempted by Fintan circuits like that used by potential Royal Marines, but I'm not sure this is specific enough for my goals, or that it allows enough flexibility for when I get full time work.. I may still experiment with it as some point though, maybe use it more as a goal in 2016.

I will instead be using chinups, pushups and burpees everyday, with additional optional workouts of running.

I plan to add 1 rep weekly to my chinups, 2 reps weekly to my pushups, and 1 rep weekly to burpees in an every minute on the minute fashion. The additional running will be 5 minutes of maximum 100m reps - the end goal is 16 of these in 5 minutes. Hopefully in a few months I can start lifting.

Sam
Last edited by sam on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
sam

Re: Sam's Log - Moving Forward in Life

Postby sam » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:33 am

Yesterday,

Chinups - 5 5 10
Pushups - 14 12 10
EMOM Burpees - 5 x 9

Not a lot but it's a start.
sam

Postby sam » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:34 pm

Chins - 5 5 5
Pushups - 10 10 10
EMOM Burpees - 9 9 9 9 9
5 min running - 869 yards
EMOM Burpees - 9 9 9 5

Notes on the workout: The optional running portion of my workout needs to be placed at the beginning, it is a priority due to the necessity of sunlight (no streetlights/no lights in the woods). Stopped 2nd set of burpees as back started to twang in an achey way. Not sure how else to describe it. Also didn't feel much intensity in the bodyweight stuff, not sure whether or not to introduce an AMRAP set on the last set like GSLP, but then that might be too much for everyday.. and I'm also quite wary of tendonitis.

I'm happy with the setup, and with the burpee and running elements, just not sure about the chins and pushups still. I know some people have had success going to failure everyday, but at the same time I've read that it's good to take the bodyweight work slow...
sam

Postby sam » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:35 am

5 Minutes 200m laps running (goal is 8 eventually) - 4 laps and 141 yards = 941 yards
Chins - 6 6 6
Pushups - 12 12 12
EMOM burpees -

Pretty tired and sluggish after a sunday roast yesterday.
I may try the EMOM approach with the running. All I need to get to is just over 3 laps 5xEMOM and I'll have the mile. Still will take a while though..
Better method for chinups/pushups? 1-3 sets to failure everyday? Pyramids? Ladders?
Didn't tackle burpees. Feel knackered after weekend. Nap instead.

Have a bit of farm labour work, and paid arithmetical checking for my quantity surveyor dad this week. And also have an interview this Wednesday, so that's good! :)
sam

Postby sam » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:36 pm

3x7 Chins - 7 7 7
3x13 Pushups - 13 13 13
EMOM Burpees:
5x10 - 10 10 10 10 10
5x10 - 10 10 10 10 10

Think I may start just trying to add reps daily until I stall, at which point keep trying or reassess/change things.
Really like the EMOM method on the burpees though. Could in theory be use for the other movements? Also what I've noticed with the burpees is the importance of keeping a constant flow, and maintaining 'calm' whilst you do them. You almost have to remind yourself to slow down during the set, so that you don't tire too quickly. However, maintain good pace though, 30 seconds per 10 burpees.

May drop the mile runs, may not. Depends on weather, daylight, location etc. At least with the above exercises they can be done almost anywhere.
sam

Postby sam » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:11 am

Got my interview today, it's an hours drive away. If I get this job then that's two hours of driving everyday.. The joys of living in the middle of no where.. Will have to get some audiobooks or something for the road.

Workout before I leave:

3x7 Chins - 7 7 7 - elbow aching a bit during these..
3x13 Pushups - 13 13 13

Interview: Went really well. Lack of time might be an issue, travelling for ages and possibly working weekends, but a job is a job at the moment. I just need some income, and can get looking for another 'more ideal' job once I'm employed for a few months. Can't wait to have a routine again, set times for work, and set times for working out. Some space for working out in the morning and evening when I get home.

Afternoon workout:
EMOM Burpees (rest as needed between sets)
5x11 - 11 11 11 11 11 - a lot tougher than yesterday, which is weird
5x11 - 11 11 11 11 11 - started feeling my food coming up during these sets. 2nd to last set was borderline burpee/3 second rate, last set was slow by 2-3 seconds
5x5 - 5 5 5 5 5 - lower volume as I didn't want to vomit up my omelette

After some advice from Taylorcannon, I will now be focussing on the burpee goal primarily, but still with the intention of increasing the other bodyweight moves too, just increasing these more slowly, may even drop them back a couple of reps. I will aim to increase 3 sets of burpees daily if possible, and the bodyweight moves just weekly. For now.

That means my volume of burpees will be increasing by 15 reps a day, which may prove to not be manageable, but well see. It also means that as I increase the reps, my daily count will never go beyond 300.
`
So tomorrow:
Introduce a morning session at 9AM, comprising of the chinups and pushups.
Afternoon sessions will be burpees.
Complete all 3 sets of burpees. Keep the first two at 11, but increase last set by 2.
sam

Postby sam » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:26 am

Morning Session:

3x7 Chins - 7 7 7
3x15 Pushups - 15 15 15

Need to take things slow as elbows are hinting to me that they want to be painful.
sam

Postby sam » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:32 am

Heard back from the job. It's at a farm shop about an hours drive away. They want me at least 4 days a week, just working as a kitchen porter for minimum wage. Not the greatest situation but better than nothing. It's a baseline for me to build upon. Similar to what I'm trying to achieve with my fitness.

If it wasn't for JP I'd owe the bank £40 right now. Instead, I have £20 until the farm pays me.

I have a trial shift for the job tomorrow so let's hope that goes well, and that the flat tyre in my van makes it.

Afternoon workout:

1-2 mile light jog/walk
EMOM Burpees:
5x11 - 11 11 11 11 11 Fuck these burpees are tough. Feel sick just doing this many. Don't know how I'm gunna get to 20 reps. At least every 11 was around 33 seconds.
5x11 - 11 11 11 11 11 Oh fuck. Same as yesterday. Last set outside the 3 sec mark. Felt sick, so maybe I need more than 2 1/2 hours between lunch and burpees. Also felt a little dizzy on the later sets.
5x7 - 0 0 0 0 0 - Honestly don't think I need these to improve. I'm going to stick with 2 sets for now. Looking to jump up one rep on all exercises on Monday, unless I get my new job starting then. In which case, I'll wait to condition myself to that for a week first. It's not that labour intensive, but it's a change of pace standing up all day again.

I think that's the key though, taking influence from the Teampain logs I've seen, slow and steady progress on the daily work. Increasing reps weekly. In the Teampain logs the chinups and pushups are being increased weekly by 5 and 10 reps, and the burpees are increased by 3 or so, while remaining in the 3 second window. I'm approaching my burpees slightly differently, which is fine, and I will be increasing them by about 10 reps a week since they are my focus. While the chins and pushups on the other hand will only increase in volume by 3 reps weekly.

Burpees are the perfect exercise for a villain. They never stop being evil. :twisted:
sam

Postby sam » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:56 am

Workout before trial shift:

3x7 Chinups - 7 7 7
3x14 Pushups - 14 14 14
EMOM Burpees:
5x11 - 11 11 11 11 11
Only had time for one set this morning.
sam

Postby sam » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:06 am

Biggish news.

The trial went really well, and I was offered a full time position starting today. But ultimately it still saddened me. To go from finishing building a farmhouse, working on a farm, having a qualification and a more than average knowledge of fitness, with goals to launch my own bootcamp business and get back into art, to then have a shitty minimum wage job washing dishes full time, with the added loss of 2 hours travelling everyday, is a bit of a bummer. It's not what I want to do at all with my life, with my valuable time.

I spoke to my parents this weekend, and after a lengthy chat with my dad, he's offered me a full time role with him! I'll be earning more, travelling less, working a more fulfilling and interesting job, in an industry that will never stop existing and that plays to my creative and practical side, and also to my more analytical and 'straighter' part of my brain. I'll be working with my own family, taking a bit of stress off my dad, learning a trade, carrying on the family business, have the option to be more flexible with my time and holidays etc. Exciting stuff!

So full time job can now be checked off my list! After a few months of work and settling in, I plan to launch the bootcamp...

Happy days, anyway todays workout:

Have had a bit of manflu all weekend so feeling sluggish and shitty.

3x8 Chins - 8 8 8 These are feeling shit, just feel out of the groove doing them. Maybe it's from lack of practice. Maybe it's from over indulging at the weekend.
3x15 Pushups - 0 0 0 Not feeling it.
EMOM Burpees:
5x12 -
5x12 -

Thinking of changing the way I structure the chinups and pushups. I may be able to put up a door pullup bar at my dads so could possibly work something around that - frequency method etc.. Thinking about total daily volume? Any good suggestions? Do a set every hour?
sam

Next

Return to Beginner Villain Logs