Lumberjerk's Log

New kids on the block

Lumberjerk's Log

Postby lumberjerk » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:52 pm

INTRO
I'm a beginner to weight training, just starting SS in August. I kept a Starting Strength log as 3PU which can be found here:
http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=18289
I am really pleased with my progress. I intend to return to SS when I'm able. There are a few things keeping me from doing it properly: can't do my presses out in the snow and ceiling is too low to do them inside, and I have severe tendinitis in my left wrist which was preventing me from progressing in the cleans. I'm building a garage at the moment and I'll be putting a rack in there so by January I should be able to get back to Presses.
I've decided to try the Greyskull LP because I really like the looks of it. I'll have to swap the Presses for Incline benching. I intend to do 24 sessions of this program. I also have to modify the pullup portion because I still can't do them. I've added in some recommended exercises that will help me get there. The wrist tendinitis and the lack of a proper station have hindered my progressing with them.

STATS
Height: 6'
Weight 234lbs
bf%: approx. 27.8%

GOALS
-short term reasonable strength goals: 315 squat, 405 deadlift, 225 bench for reps of 5
-total over 1000
-bodyfat at 15%
-muscular enough not to be destroyed if thrown from my horse
-still able to do epic mtb rides
-most important:useful strength for around the farm
-improve grip strength
-do pullups

December 6, 2010
CONDITIONING
-haul out hay bales for horses, spread in field
-power out this am, fill buckets from stream and farmer's walk back to barn
-filled cans with diesel, load in truck, climb ladder and pour into tank.
-splashed diesel out of can while lazy-loading into truck and got a face and mouth full of gas
-in evening, fill tub with water drag on sled down to barn
-brought in 2 loads of firewood

WARMUP
stretching shoulders

SESSION #1
SQUAT
45 (2,2)
100 (5)
135 (3)
185 (2)
225 (3,1,0)
Wow. A month ago I was working on 260. Missing a month is pretty awful.

BENCH
45 (5,5)
70 (5)
95 (3)
135 (2)
145 (5,5,9)
After the Squats debacle I figured an overall reset was in order.

MACHINE CURL
30 (10,10)
Barbell curls are killer on my wrist so went with the curved preacher-style setup on home gym.

CABLE PULLDOWN
70 (10,10)
Working with a light weight and concentrating on pulling from bottom of lats

NECK HARNESS
25 (10,3,0,0)
Thought I'd have to order a harness but I made my own on a whim with an ATV helmet, some chain, and a carabiner. Works pretty sweet! Started too heavy, I'll have to drop the weight next session.

RECOVERY
Previous Night's Sleep: 8 hours
Food: Coffee w/ cream, bagel sandwich with egg and sausage, sandwich with chicken breast, apple cider and rum (while decorating Christmas tree), nachos with veggies, homemade guaccomole, 2 chicken breasts, german pilsner
lumberjerk

Re: Lumberjerk's Log

Postby lumberjerk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:42 pm

December 7, 2010
CONDITIONING

-fill tub with water drag on sled down to barn
-built structure with a roof over oil tank in under an hour!
-filled cans with diesel, load in truck, climb ladder and pour into tank

NOTES
-neck is killing me from overdoing it on the harness

RECOVERY
Previous Night's Sleep: 7 hours
Food: Coffee w/ cream, eggs benedict, shake (oatmeal, 500ml 2% milk, almond butter, blueberries, banana, protein powder), guaccomole, 3 and a half chicken breasts, coke, nut loaf, pasta

December 8, 2010
CONDITIONING

-fill tub with water drag on sled down to barn
-filled cans with diesel, load in truck, climb ladder and pour into tank

WARMUP
stretching shoulders

SESSION #2
INCLINE BENCH PRESS

45 (5,5)
65 (5)
95 (3)
115 (2)
120 (5,5,9)
No problems.

DEADLIFT
135 (5) 2ble OH
185 (3) 2ble OH
225 (2) 2ble OH
275 (5) mixed grip

CABLE PULLDOWN
70 (15,15)

CABLE PUSHDOWN
40 (15,15)

NECK HARNESS
5 (25,25,25,25)
Ready to move up in weight. No soreness during or after--neck feeling much better.

RECOVERY
Previous Night's Sleep: 6 + 1.5 hours
Food: Coffee w/ milk, 4 scrambled eggs, shake (oatmeal, 500ml 2% milk, almond butter, blueberries, protein powder), apple, half a bowl of soup, chicken breast, walnuts, cashews, bag of beef jerky, coke, grilled salmon, broccoli, mashed potatoes, bushmills
lumberjerk

Postby lumberjerk » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:46 pm

December 11, 2010

WARMUP
stretching shoulders

SESSION #3
SQUAT

45 (2,2)
70 (5)
115 (3)
135 (2)
185 (5,5,7)
185 felt shockingly heavy.

BENCH
45 (5,5)
70 (5)
95 (3)
135 (2)
155 (5,5,8)
This felt really good.

MACHINE CURL
30 (15,10)
Wrist felt really good today--no pain.

CABLE PULLDOWN
80 (15,10)

NECK HARNESS
7.5 (25,25,25,25)
lumberjerk

Postby lumberjerk » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:58 pm

December 13, 2010

WARMUP

stretching shoulders

SESSION #4
SQUAT

45 (2,2)
75 (5)
110 (3)
150 (2)
190 (5,5,5)
I am devastated that I lost so much I'd gained. 190 felt really heavy. I only took off 4-6 weeks.

INCLINE BENCH PRESS
45 (5,5)
65 (5)
85 (3)
105 (2)
125 (5,5,6)
No problems.

CABLE PULLDOWN
80 (15,15)

CABLE PUSHDOWN
50 (15,15)

NECK HARNESS
10 (25,25,25,25)
lumberjerk

Postby lumberjerk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:06 pm

December 15, 2010

SESSION #5
BENCH PRESS

45 (5,5)
85 (5)
115 (3)
145 (2)
165 (5,5,5)

DEADLIFT
135 (5)
185 (3)
225 (2)
285 (4)

CABLE PULLDOWN
90 (12,10)

MACHINE CURL
30 (10,12)

NECK HARNESS
12.5 (25,25,25,25)
lumberjerk

Postby lumberjerk » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:50 am

I'm back after a long layoff. I had made some great progress here last year during the transformation contest and on through the summer. But in the Fall I got a lot of freelance job offers (illustration) and I took them all.

Worked on great stuff but my schedule turned to shit and I dropped all my training. I worked for 4 months doing about 3 or 4 all-nighters per month and averaging about 4 hours of sleep. It totally changed my personality and January of this year I started getting weird dark thoughts. I was convinced I was ill, I went (laughably) vegan for a week or two and generally got myself twisted up in wasteful behaviour.

It was my old journal here that got me back into reality and thinking about being strong--physically and of character. Knowing what I wanted to do and not straying from it. Last year I was about as happy and as positive as I could be so I gotta find that balance again!

Daily log entries are a little tough for me, but I keep a spreadsheet of all my activities and I want to summarize my training here by month.
lumberjerk

Postby lumberjerk » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Here's the summary for March:

Weight and Bodyfat
Stayed the same bodyweight (223) for the month but lost 1.25 inches off the waist. According to the internet that's about 2%-points drop in body fat.

Hiking
A total of 10.3 hours spent hiking. No fasted hiking at all this month even though I really need it. I should push in April to get out in the mornings. A lot of the hikes were done with a pack with 30 pounds of plates wrapped in towels in it. Highlight of the month: 3.5 hours spent on trails in the bush swinging a brushcutter ending with an encounter with 2 big black bears about 40m off. Got the fuck out of there.

Strength
This is where the majority of my efforts have been going. I probably should be concentrating on the conditioning more. 14 sessions in the weight room this month. Working my way back to where I left off--285 squat, 385 deadlift, and 205 bench. Highlights from March: deadlift 280x5 and 305x1, squat 225x5 and 235x3, and bench 180x5

Conditioning
I'm way out of shape. Only 4 conditioning sessions for the month and I should have been aiming for a minimum of 8.

Frequency Method
Hit the pushups pretty good, getting in 1899 for the month. Chinups were only 8 so gotta make a better effort on those or I'm not going to improve. The pushups have helped enormously, making me always feel just more fit. I add 1 more pushup to my sets every week. I'm at 18 per set at the end of March.

Extras
Just chores around the farm--throwing hay, hauling sled with manure, farmer's walks with buckets of water and the like. Estimated on the conservative side at 4 hours for the month. 1 mountain bike session, 1.25 hours on super soft trails at about 11km/hr average. 1 endo and a bleeding forearm.

Life
No extra jobs this month just regular work. Some nice early Spring weather let me get some chores done around the place. Got my tractor fixed that didn't work at all last year. 1 dog with a possible eye tumour to stress me the fuck out and I had to say goodbye to another awesome dog who had to be put down after a sudden heart failure. She was my truck buddy and spent a lot of time with me on trips to the dump or the hardware store. My comic book that was purchased before it was even finished then sat completed for 2 years on a shelf finally came out with no fanfare at all. The finishes on the book were unprofessional and it was released digitally only without a proper publisher just the film company. I'll have to contemplate in April what I'll do about it. Generally speaking a total shit month, but I'm dealing with it from a position of strength rather than thinking eating only hummus will make me a better person.
lumberjerk

Postby johnnypain » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:01 pm

I love this log format lj. Keep up the good work. Sorry to hear about the dog.
Follow me on Twitter @thejohnnypain http://twitter.com/#!/thejohnnypain

Ebook titles available by Johnny Pain
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/ebooks
johnnypain
Site Admin

Postby lumberjerk » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Thanks JP. The monthly summary helps put the pictures in perspective (I'm a big fan of Swole).

I forgot:

Rest And Recovery
Week 1 I just ate healthy-ish food with no structure. Week 2 and 3 I was right on target eating just ground beef and rice 6 times a day and then a free day every week. Week 4 I seemed to go crazy, eating more than 6 meals some day and then cheat foods as well. I was crazy hungry. Today's a free day but tomorrow I'm getting it back on the tracks--got a roast cooking and some chicken breasts too.
Sleep has also been excellent. I've been getting at least 7 good hours plus an extra couple of hours a few times a week.
Meal of the month: Crabcake burger at the Granite. An excellent homemade crabcake served over a homemade hamburger patty. That's not cheese on top, it was a lemon dill pepper sauce and some salsa. Served with greens and a Coke Zero.

lumberjerk

Postby lumberjerk » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:34 am

I'm going to try again to keep this thing updated.

I haven't logged since April but I also haven't missed a gym session since then either. I've made some good progress especially on the conditioning end in July and August.

Here's what's happened:

April
Average weight was 225, diet slipping at 70%, average sleep was pretty good at 8.2hrs. 9.8 hours hiking, no missed weight training, some runs, but only 4 conditioning sessions. 675 pushups, and 30 pullups. 10+ hours of extra farm work.

May
Average weight was 224.2, diet was the same, sleep also good. Only 3.7 hours hiking and no running at all. No missed weight sessions and no missed conditioning. Fell off on pushups and pullups.

June
Average weight was 225.6, diet was worse. sleep fell off to about 7.4 hours. Hiking and running was the same. No missed weight training but, holy fuck, only one conditioning workout. Pushups and pullups fell off, but I did about 29 hours extra farm work.

July
Here's where I kinda realized it's ridiculous that I put this much effort in and I'm still a fat fuck. Conditioning sessions went up to 17. No missed weight sessions. 10 hours hiking and did some hill sprints. Pushups and pullups fell right off, not much farm work, and sleep was pretty shitty.

July Highlights:
Squat 260x5, 275x1
Deadlift 325x5, 340x1
Bench 190x3, 200x1
Greyskull Conditioning 50lb sandbag Clean & Press x50 in 2:52
Greyskull Conditioning 200 swings, one-arm, 50lb kettlebell 9:11
Fun stuff: put the heavy bag back in action, and also hit the singletrack on my new mtb (purchased last season but used only once) discovered some new trails in my area. Got out for 6 rides.
lumberjerk

Next

Return to Beginner Villain Logs