Postby Briceps » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:13 pm

2/27/17 through 3/2/17

FM PUs: 7 x 20
FM Chins: 8 x 4

2/27/17

Football Bar Press: 125 x 2 x 5, 8
Chins: +10 x 8, BW x 8
Squat: 205 x 2 x 5, 5

Had it in my head last Press session was 122.5 so I didn't need fractional plates and could jump to 125. Should've been 122.5 today but made the jump anyway and still knocked out 8 reps. Before I fucked my shoulder I would grind the shit out of the last rep and do a few push Press reps to burn out. I find it much harder to do either with the football bar for some reason. Steady progress on weighted chins. Back is definitely growing, shirts are getting tighter. Focused on breaking hips and knees at the same time on the Squat and immediately shoving knees way out. Session was much better than last though I still "good morninged" a handful of reps. Ran out of time for RDLs or conditioning.

2/28/17

Threshold Intervals: 4 x 10 min on/4 off @ 245-270W.

Absolutely smoked me, had to take a few steps back on these and rebuild so I'm hitting the endpoint before switching to an "in-season" program in 2-3 weeks. Couldn't produce much sprint power so I didn't even throw it into the numbers here.

3/1/17

Rest

3/2/17

BP: 185 x 2 x 5, 8
RDLs: 145 x 3 x 10
DB Curls: 30 x 12, 10

Felt like shit, busy week, lots of stress, still got some posterior chain work in. Will serve as sort of a break-in to my new bike programming now that daylight savings is over after next week. Off to a weekend in Santa Fe for the GF's bday.
Last edited by Briceps on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Briceps

Re: Destroy Erase Improve

Postby Bruce » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:29 am

Good to see squats went a bit better. Grinder reps are tough with the football bar because it's easy to be off-center and not realize it until you're tired, especially when going overhead where balance is already being challenged. Its good you've found a way to work around that shoulder injury, you'll still get where you wanna be without the extra push presses.
Bruce

Postby Briceps » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:16 am

Bruce wrote:Good to see squats went a bit better. Grinder reps are tough with the football bar because it's easy to be off-center and not realize it until you're tired, especially when going overhead where balance is already being challenged. Its good you've found a way to work around that shoulder injury, you'll still get where you wanna be without the extra push presses.

If I had to grade the squats I would give them a C+ but compared to last week they were worlds better. Narrowing the stance definitely helped. Thanks for the tip! The football bar has been great for working without pain. I'm pretty sure at this point I could switch back over to the normal bar (haven't tried though) but plan to run with the football bar until I hit a reset. The physical nature of it puts it out a little bit compared to a standard barbell and you're exactly right, I'm not as centered. Just stoked to be approaching old PRs!
Briceps

Postby Briceps » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:32 pm

3/7/17 through 3/11/17

FM PUs: 8 x 20
FM Chins: 6 x 5

Didn't do any FM work on Sunday, too exhausted from a stressful/busy week, sickness, built up fatigue.

3/8/17

Football Bar Press: 127.5 x 2 x 5, 8
Chins: + 15 x 7, + 5 x 7

Feeling very under the weather. Went to Santa Fe this weekend. Did lots of hiking and knees are destroyed so no squats today (I hate hiking for this reason). Did propose so overall it was an awesome weekend. Now fiancé is sicker than a dog and I seem to be fending off the sickness but just barely.

3/10/17

BP: 187.5 x 2 x 5, 8
Squats: Warmwd up to 135 and felt like death

Been fighting the flu my girlfriend had all week, felt it in my lungs last two days. Swuats felt like death and didn't feel like pushing it when I was wheezing so hard between reps.

3/11/17

Bike Park Laps: 4.6 miles, 600 ft climbed. Just worked on being smooth and in control on the jumps. Climbed to the top to start but broke my chain so pushed, essentially a whole bunch of walking uphill. Took a mega-dose of vitamins and whatnot and felt better so decided to ride today.

3/12/17

Ride: 15.8 miles, 2,490 ft climbed, around 4 hours. This trail system is very mellow grade-wise so I just spun an easy gear the whole time. Took an hour to scope all the features on one of the trails making it a big day and consequently wiped. Conditioning is absolute shit right now, taking a few weeks off the bike and general inconsistency has stalled, if not reverted some of my progress, will be hitting it hard for the next 12 weeks until the first race of the season over Memorial Day.
Last edited by Briceps on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Briceps

Postby Bruce » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:59 pm

Congrats on your engagement!
Bruce

Postby Briceps » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Bruce wrote:Congrats on your engagement!

Thanks dude! Quite stoked! Now on to the fun of planning a wedding.......

3/15/17 through....

FM PUs: 8 x 20
FM Chins: 6 x 5

Going to repeat last weeks FM work since I finished the week pretty beat up.

3/15/17

Press (regular bar): 125 x 8 + 1 Push Press
Chins: BW + 15 x 8, + 5 x 7
Squat: 205 x 5

For some reason I had it in my head the last few days I should switch programs to 5/3/1. 5/3/1 has a 4th week deload, and my in-season bike program I'm starting has a 4 week cycle where the start of each cycle you go easy for the week then test yourself on Fr and Sa. The two would marry up pretty well together and with the increase in biking I've toyed with the idea of dropping down to one top set, on the squat mostly, to lower the overall volume on the quads. I'm not sure I like the constant change in weight week-to-week for upper body on 5/3/1 though. Because of that I decided time to switch back to normal press and test my max. Plan for this week before I got brutally sick for 5 days was to do a lower volume squat session, like last warmup for 3 x 3, but instead worked up to my last work set from two weeks ago for 5. I have about 9 weeks before I have to start my race taper leading up to my first race of the season. From there out the summer is pretty hectic with racing, vacations, and bike trips, so a rigid program like 5/3/1 doesn't make as much sense as sort of a self regulating program I run myself with varying volumes and intensities from week to week.
Briceps

Postby Bruce » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:39 pm

I think 5/3/1 is a good idea for you. It gives you a plan to follow so that you don't do too little on days you feel bad or too much on days you feel good but it does offer a bit of self-regulation too. Remember, you're basing your lifting off 90% of your max, then only going to 95% of that. So you're really only ever working with 85.5% of your true max. The self regulation comes from what you do on that last set. The days you're feeling beat up or have heavy cycling training you don't go crazy on the "+" sets. I've used 5/3/1 a lot and I've always found the 5s week toughest even though thats the lightest. But hitting 86% of your max for a single (if you need it to be only a single) shouldn't cut into your cycling but will keep your max force production close to where you are now.

I like your idea of just hitting one top set on the lower body and if you're worried about volume or weight for upper body you can always do BBB or First-set-last or FSL 5x5 on the upper body days. There's also a bodyweight assistance template which might be good for you too. Most of your assistance work would be dips, chins, pushups, and ab work. Might be easier to recover from.
Bruce

Postby Briceps » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Bruce wrote:I think 5/3/1 is a good idea for you. It gives you a plan to follow so that you don't do too little on days you feel bad or too much on days you feel good but it does offer a bit of self-regulation too. Remember, you're basing your lifting off 90% of your max, then only going to 95% of that. So you're really only ever working with 85.5% of your true max. The self regulation comes from what you do on that last set. The days you're feeling beat up or have heavy cycling training you don't go crazy on the "+" sets. I've used 5/3/1 ar lot and I've always found the 5s week toughest even though thats the lightest. But hitting 86% of your max for a single (if you need it to be only a single) shouldn't cut into your cycling but will keep your max force production close to where you are now.

I like your idea of just hitting one top set on the lower body and if you're worried about volume or weight for upper body you can always do BBB or First-set-last or FSL 5x5 on the upper body days. There's also a bodyweight assistance template which might be good for you too. Most of your assistance work would be dips, chins, pushups, and ab work. Might be easier to recover from.

I really appreciate the input! With regards to the upper body stuff, I don't find that volume really helps me that much with pure strength. Dips have always helped both upper body lifts though so I might start doing them again now that my shoulder is back to normal or close to it.

Lower body though I definitely do better with volume however. But with riding season here, and the volume my quads will be doing with that alone, I think any extra volume will kill me. Though I might experiment with some joker sets. Starting next week I'll be doing a sprint workout in the mornings on my Squat day so I might actually just program 80% as my starting TM. Morning sprints aren't idea, but I typically only get two rides in during the work-week and once monsoon season hits here I'll have to do them in the morning anyways so I'd like to just get used to it now.

Do you think keeping the FM work is fine? I don't a big enough difference in programs to not keep on doing them and I've definitely noticed, and so has my fiance, a difference in my upper body.
Briceps

Postby Bruce » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:44 pm

You've been doing the FM stuff already and are probably going to have a little reduction in the amount of upper body work you're doing so I think you'll be fine leaving it in
Bruce

Postby Briceps » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:02 pm

I appreciate all the advice. I joined the Wendler forum out of curiosity a few months back and got some good advice straight from the source there. He laid out two programs for me, a standard 5/3/1 with 5s PRO or a version of his Krypteia. The forum over there seems like a really awesome place. I might keep both logs going for awhile but I can't recommend that site enough. Probably will start with the first program and after a few months I feel too beat up I'll switch to Krypteia. Both involve supersetting all your main lifts with assistance work which is a big change of pace from laying around 3 minutes between sets.
Briceps

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner Villain Logs