Destroy Erase Improve

New kids on the block

Re: Destroy Erase Improve

Postby Bruce » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:25 pm

I haven't read all of his books so I'm not familiar with those programs/variations he suggested. The guy knows his stuff and maybe more importantly in your case, he knows how to program around other sports.

I was just considering joining the forums there, especially with this and some of my other favorite sites fading away. But in the last email update I got from his site he said new memberships are closed right now.
Bruce

Postby Briceps » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:41 am

Bruce wrote:I haven't read all of his books so I'm not familiar with those programs/variations he suggested. The guy knows his stuff and maybe more importantly in your case, he knows how to program around other sports.

I was just considering joining the forums there, especially with this and some of my other favorite sites fading away. But in the last email update I got from his site he said new memberships are closed right now.

I saw that, a major bummer. If you can join I would highly recommend it. I think the Krypteia program is in his upcoming book. It's deceivingly basic. I would say it's along the lines of JP's Gladiator stuff, but simpler, hopefully more effective. Mostly involving supersetting leg work on Bench/Press day with all your bench sets, and upper body work with your Squat and Dead days.
Briceps

Postby sam » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Keep us informed with how this goes mate, interested in joining Wendler's forums too.
sam

Postby Berserker » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:33 am

I've recently joined the Wendler forum too and will be trying some kind of 5/3/1 variation in the next few months... maybe krypteia, the reviews of that one are really good and I like the look of it (just not sure if I'm too old to handle it!). If not, the boring but big template appeals to me.

It's a good forum with a bunch of knowledgeable guys. I don't really post on there but there is plenty of info about all things 5/3/1.
Berserker

Postby Briceps » Thu May 11, 2017 9:39 am

Just thought I'd pop in and kind of share my experience on 5/3/1 and Krypteia. I did 6 weeks on Krypteia and I think I'm going to be moving back to a modified (to my own needs) GSLP. Krypteia, to me, is very similar to the LCI programming, or maybe Gladiator. I wasn't floored after the workouts, but they were definitely hard, and it was hard to muster the energy for another workout later in the day (doing my hard "training style" rides on lifting days). That being said it's ridiculously simple, and does take all the guess work out.

I think I personally don't gel as well with 5/3/1 because I don't like the constantly changing top sets. For someone who is, at best, a novice like myself (in terms of the weight I lift), every top set seems heavy to me. I think in the long term, and with more experience 5/3/1 would be great, but I prefer the GSLP/general LP style, at least for right now. This also allows me to sort of roll with what's happening with my riding and shift things as I see fit. That said, currently recovering from a hand injury and can barely do anything besides front squats and light band/pulley work.
Briceps

Postby Briceps » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:03 pm

9/1/17

BP: 150 x 2 x 5, 9
Squat: 165 x 2 x 5, 6

FM PUs: 4 x 12
FM Chins: 4 x 5

9/2/17

9/3/17

Press: 107.5 x 2 x 5, 7 + 1 (PP)
Chins: + 10 x 7, BW x 5
PC: 135 x fail + 1, 145 x fail (jesus christ)
DL: 225 X 6 (HOLY S**T I'VE GOTTEN SOFT)
250m C2 x 3 w/90 sec rest: 46.9, 53.4, 54.7 sec

9/4/17

7ish mile hike up a 13er. 2,300 ft of elevation gain. Elevation seemed fined. Want to attempt a 14er via bike in the next month if time allows.

Alright going to update my log here for the time being seeing as how there is a little activity again. Haven't done shit in the gym all summer. Spending the next 3 months getting back in general shape before I start working on focused bike work come December-ish. 3 days a week GSLP until it gets too dark and cold to ride after work, running once or twice a week, hikes, rides, whatever feels good. Starting up all the FM work again and might throw burpees in after a few weeks once I'm not constantly sore.
Briceps

Postby Briceps » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:37 am

9/7/17

Easy day in Whistler getting used to being back on the big bike again

9/8/17

Easy half day in Whistler (3 laps, boooo)

9/9/17

Full day in the rain in Whistler. Conquered a lot of shit I haven't ridden before, hit the huge gap step-up on "Dwayne Johnson". All my friends commented on how strong my tech-skills were. Need to ride big bikes more damnit.

9/10-11/17

Family time in Seattle and rest (too much beer, late nights, and hard riding)

9/12/17

BP: 155 x 2 x 5, 10
Curls: 60 x 12, 10
Inc. PUs: 19, 10, 7 (36 total)
Squat: 170 x 2 x 5, 7

Feeling back on my game again. Light weights currently are feeling exactly that, which is a nice change. My technical skills feel great after riding a 115 mm bike all summer, jumping skills are terrible though, but conditions in Whistler didn't help. This summer I lost about 15 lbs and all my old buddies commented on that and my strength on the bike. I will be careful about gaining weight this winter. A little muscle will only help things but a lot of mass in general seems to only hinder my riding, even the downhill only portion. I guess "recomp" is the name of the game for the next 3 months, i.e. regain strength, improve body composition, hopefully maintain or slightly lose weight.
Briceps

Postby Briceps » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:22 am

9/15/17

Press: 110 x 2 x 5, 7+1
Dips: + 10 x 7, BW x 7
Chins: + 10 x 6, BW x 6
Squat: 175 x 2 x 5, 7

9/16/17

4 mile hike

9/17/17

3 mile hike

Future father-in-law was in town so not as much training as I would like but still a good weekend. Need to be more consistent about FM work
Briceps

Postby Briceps » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:30 am

9/19/17

FM Chins: 4 x 4

BP: 160 x 2 x 5, 10
Chins: + 10 x 6, BW x 7
Squat: 185 x 2 x 5, 9

Good day at a different YMCA. Worked in with a guy training with his family. Had his wife and daughters deadlifting (proper form and all) and he was squatting. Seeing him work up to 435 for a triple made me feel like a lazy POS but it fired me up to rep out the squats. Don't know what's happening with chins but they seem to be actually getting worse. Will hammer them for a few more weeks and then assess switching to pulldowns for awhile.
Briceps

Postby Briceps » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:45 am

9/20/17

FM PUs: 3 x 12
FM Chins: 2 x 12 (fail on both)

5-mile run: 46:25

Been occasionally working my way up to 5 miles on runs over the last 4-5 months. Finally hit 5 miles while on east coast for work 3 weeks back but was curious whether I could do that back at home at elevation. Not only did I complete it but I beat that time by a minute or so, and the dog was slowing me down substantially on mile 4ish. Went to our old apartment because I was back downtown after work, and run around the park which makes this muuuuch easier. Plan on doing these runs once a week while I lose weight. I think VC15 is well within my wheelhouse by Christmas time, which is consequently our new wedding plan and when I'll switch to more of a bike-focus to prepare for next season.
Briceps

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner Villain Logs